Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: If we could have Madrid 2001 pro dvd...  (Read 25467 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: If we could have Madrid 2001 pro dvd...
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
The only reason I have been so critical of the way MK performed during the KtGC tour is simply because I love him and his music so, so much and I want to see him deliver.  I've been a fan since the Straits days and have been collecting bootlegs since before the internet revolution and have hundreds from all periods of his career.  I have also been fortunate enough to see Dire Straits play.

I realise MK is getting older but surely that doesn't mean we can kid ourselves on and say that the KtGC tour had the same energy as previous tours.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2009, 01:44:47 PM »
dmg,  We all know that MK's style of music has changed over the last few years.   He is much more folky now and unless there is a major change of direction, that seems to be the way the future lies.   "Get Lucky" was a more varied album, though, with "You Can't Beat the House", "Monteleone", "Cleaning My Gun" and "Hard Shoulder" veering away from the folk style.  I didn't find KTGC any less energetic than "Shangri-La" or ATRR either - I enjoyed all of them.  "Golden Heart" and STP were probably the more energetic, but MK was 12 years younger in 1996!  ;)

I think for someone who is 60+ he is doing pretty well regarding energy.   Of course, we have the ageing rock stars, like Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, still trying to strut their stuff at 60+, but MK is far more elegant and tasteful to go down that road!  Thank goodness! ;D

Anyway I loved KTGC.  It was pretty energetic in Amsterdam from what I remember and we all seemed to have a great time!   ;D

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:16:45 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2009, 02:19:56 PM »
As for the band, I am sceptic about Richard. Even though Mike Henderson may have done some noise with his guitar in 2001, it is interesting to hear Mark 'battle' by other guitarists like when he played with Clapton. My problems with Richard are two: first, he isn't given enough solos and has to stand around hammering his bouzokis most of the time. That's not his fault, but it seems to be the way Mark sees him. Second, I'm not always a fan of Richard's slick sound. I'd love to hear Mark play with a grittier player. Again, what I am asking for is a little change. It wouldn't hurt.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2009, 02:26:09 PM »
Tallgren, Whilst we are at it, how about changing all the instruments around too!   ;D   Mark on piano, Guy on drums, Richard on whistle, Danny on guitar, Glenn on synths and John on everything else and making the tea!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2009, 02:48:09 PM »
and me on hand-clapping!

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2009, 04:40:35 PM »
Tallgren, Whilst we are at it, how about changing all the instruments around too!   ;D   Mark on piano, Guy on drums, Richard on whistle, Danny on guitar, Glenn on synths and John on everything else and making the tea!   ;D

There you go. Even the slightest criticism ridiculed. Continue and you shall soon have chased away all non-believers.

It's not that I take myself over-seriously, but I find little substance in what you've written. Do you really think that Richard is the only guitarist in the world capable of playing a D5 chord?  :)

Rollergirl

« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2009, 04:45:21 PM »
I agree with Tallgren that Richard is under-used. He's a great guitarist and the two together make great sound. The end solo of I dug up a Diamond on the LRR DVD is a prime example. How their guitars sing together!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
Yes, I agree with you, Nat.  "I Dug up a Diamond" was one of the best songs on the ATRR tour.   I also think Richard is underused, but I wouldn't like him to be replaced.   We would be back to the DS days when there was a different guitarist for every tour and at the moment MK and the band seem very comfortable with eachother.   :)

Oh dear, Tallgren, I feel I have been rapped over the knuckles like a naughty schoolgirl!    ;D    It's all in fun really!   ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 04:56:20 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineBest Brown Baggies

• Lady writer
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
In regards to weather anyone still worships Mark Knopfler............

I DO!!!!! ;D

I have a lifesize cardboard cut out of him in my front room that i pray to at exactly 5.15am everyday.

Clapton is GOD.........No way!

KNOPFLER IS GOD 8) 8) 8)

Cheers    BBB
And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner
Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2009, 05:00:06 PM »

I have a lifesize cardboard cut out of him in my front room that i pray to at exactly 5.15am everyday.

I've seen it, BBB, in the video of your 40th birthday!   One just like it stood in the window of W H Smith when OES was released and I really wanted one!    :P

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2009, 05:17:36 PM »
Hey people, I think this is a lot of fun... 8) I'm glad to see you agree with me Val.

And yes, that solo on Dug up a Diamond... A modern classic indeed. I also liked Richard's solo on Pyroman. But sometimes his twangy sound is a bit annoying.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
That's OK Tallgren, we can both agree - it's fun, even when we disagree!   ;D

BTW Forgive my ignorance, because I don't play guitar, but what is a D5 chord?   ::)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 05:27:09 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2009, 05:31:27 PM »
A D5 is what is called a power chord. A normal chord concists of three notes, whereas a, say, D5 omits the tone that normally separates a major ("happy") chord from a minor ("sad") chord. Such chords are often used when playing elecric rock guitar because the sound is more unified.

D5 is especially common in Mark's music. That's the strummed chord in the beginning of Why Aye Man, for example. I used it as an example of the low level of some of Richard's contributions.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
Thanks for the information,Tallgren!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Glad you asked!

Time to travel across Sweden for the holidays tomorrow. Gonna be nice.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 43 queries.