Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: If we could have Madrid 2001 pro dvd...  (Read 25463 times)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Re: If we could have Madrid 2001 pro dvd...
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 04:06:38 PM »
Tallgren, are you implying that TR is not technical!! ?   :o    I think Guy has said that TR is one of the most challenging songs and needs a lot of concentration!  ;)
I think TR is a song where the final guitar solo has a lot of scope for the player if things don't work out as planned.  I'm sure we've all heard a version where MK has attempted something during the solo and hasn't quite pulled it off but manages to smooth over it so that you wouldn't know unless you were a big fan like us.

This is why I believe he is more comfortable now doing TR and doesn't want to do TOL which has less scope for him.

BTW the version from Athens 2008 was my favourite from that tour by far: 
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineTally

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2009, 04:10:43 PM »
A couple of posts were aimed at me, one concerning the similar setlists and the other TR.

First, looking at the setlists, they have been similar for several tours. Come on! Why Aye, WII, STP, BIA, R&J, SOS, Wild Theme, SL, TR, SAN, Sonny Liston. Just consider all the songs that weren't played but could have been played instead. I liked HFB and Marbletown too, I loved them, but they did little to make the setlists varied.

About TR: I didn't mean to say it's a simple song, but something about that one seems to fit Mark better than Sultans these days. Frankly, at least on the shows I saw, he wasn't up to it or deliberately stayed away from the fast licks (in Sultans). TR works a little differently, it's powerful in a different way, with a lot of double-stops and slower guitar parts. Now, his feeling was great and all that on Sultans, but we were talking about energy and it was lacking in, say, Karlstad. Maybe he picked up speed as the tour progressed; we all read Guy stating that they don't even rehearse Sultans! Outrageous. His heart did not seem to be in it, and the end lick suddenly appeared out of nowhere in the final solo. The classic build-up hade been shortened a lot. Mark's playing would benefit from more serious tour rehearsals, and maybe that would lead to some new songs being played too.

Some old DS songs would work great with Mark's new folk sound, such as Iron Hand or (the rehearsed) Man's Too Strong. We'll never hear Single-handed Sailor again, but some songs really fit well with news later musical direction. Play them please  :)

Love Expresso

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2009, 05:41:38 PM »
Look:
Mark Knopfler is NOT interested in guitar playing anymore. That

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2009, 05:48:44 PM »
Well I love Good as Gold.

Time in the Sun is balls though. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009, 06:02:56 PM »
A truly great, emotional piece there LE.  Straight from the heart with lots of good points very well put.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
I love Early Bird and the three bonus songs, but I can't comment on Time in the Sun as I've only heard a snippet!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Rollergirl

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »

Surely you must agree though that MK's playing was devoid of all energy during the KtGC tour.  

No we don't have to agree, I don't.

I didn't mean it literally.  It's a common phrase used in the UK, sorry for the loss in translation.

I know, but as you may have noticed I am very pedantic  ;D and I do take everything at face value (for example, I would not say Time in the Sun was balls  ;D, I'd say I didn't like it)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:23:08 PM by Rollergirl »

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2009, 12:03:49 AM »
It's hard to make a comment whether MK likes to play certain songs or not. And yes, maybe he is satisfied with one take because people will buy it anyway. Who cares? And if someone cares, what makes the difference? Let's face it: he is rich and he can do what he likes to do. If he wants to stop playing and writing music, we can't stop him. None of us can make a difference in this situation. And remember, nobody has to like MK's music forever. If you think the solo stuff is crap, well, than it's crap. :) You can't expect him playing songs you like.

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2009, 01:35:05 AM »
How can so many of you think the KtGC tour was so great when it clearly lacked any sort of energy at all?  This was by far and away MK's worst tour ever and the fact that no official record has been made from it is the best decision taken by MK/PCM ever!

Finally...someone who talks some sense around here!  8)
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
Why can't we just be thankful that we still have MK making beautiful albums and touring so frequently, because one day it will all be over and I, for one will be extremely sad!   :)   
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineWaterline Man

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:20 PM »
Why can't we just be thankful that we still have MK making beautiful albums and touring so frequently, because one day it will all be over and I, for one will be extremely sad!   :)   

Well said Val 8) people dont realise what they have until its gone & then its too late.As Ubhal said one time "I'd go to watch him tune his guitar" - well so would I even if it was tuned badly:o
If it aint broke dont fix it!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2009, 12:45:05 PM »
Well said Val 8) people dont realise what they have until its gone & then its too late.As Ubhal said one time "I'd go to watch him tune his guitar" - well so would I even if it was tuned badly:o

Ha, well at Hay we DID watch him try to tune his guitar for about 5 mins, before handing it over to his guitar tech guy whose name temporarily escapes me at the moment.

I've seen MK lots of times and I've never been disappointed, closest I came to being diappointed I gues was the 06 tour, I though including so much of teh same stuff from 05 was lazy, still do, but it was still a great gig. But surely there's no problem with us giving our views and discussing which tours we liked the best?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
Look:
Mark Knopfler is NOT interested in guitar playing anymore. That
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineHoops McCann

• Dan
  • Founder
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
Why can't we just be thankful that we still have MK making beautiful albums and touring so frequently, because one day it will all be over and I, for one will be extremely sad!   :)    

Val, I'm pretty sure we are thanking him by spending $160 per ticket to still see him. There's no harm in pointing out that certain tours sounded better than others.
"...I was prompted to check out some of the threads you have going which are often unintentionally funny, wildly speculative and sometimes just plain deluded..." - Ed Bicknell

https://soundcloud.com/sunday_driver

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2009, 03:09:30 PM »
Dan, I agree with you and I already said which ones I liked and the one and only tour I disliked, but it would be nice to hear a few positive thoughts from some of the posts for a change.    ::)

BTW We don't pay as much for our tickets in UK and Europe as those fans in US - around
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 42 queries.