Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Book about MK's music & life  (Read 561 times)

OfflinePeterRedwhite

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Book about MK's music & life
« on: September 07, 2024, 06:49:49 PM »
Dear all,

I'm a Spanish writer that often collaborates with legendary American singer/songwriter Elliott Murphy; we cowrote a novel called Dorothy And The Discovery Of America (https://almuzaralibros.com/fichalibro.php?libro=6377&edi=2) that was published in Spanish; the original version in English hasn't been published yet.

Anyway, Dorothy's publisher made me aware that it would be great to have a definitive book about Mark Knopfler and he thought I was the right person to try it. First obstacle I found was to define the right voice to tell the story as I wouldn't have felt comfortable speaking as a fictional MK and I think (considering I don't have access to MK or his private circle and there are facts with a multiplicity of versions) it is impossible to know his entire universe, so an all-knowing narrator didn't fit either. Finally I though of a narrator-fan so I could write from a consistent point of view and at the same time honor the people whose lives have been marked by Mark's music. In fact, there is a parallel story that helps the main topic (MK's life and work) to develop in which the narrator is reunited with a girl he knew in a concert of BiA tour thanks to a post she wrote in AMIT forum in 2018.

The idea is to publish the book (in Spanish, I hope someday it would be translated into English) in November, but there are still a couple of pending tasks. The publisher and I are looking for good pictures to illustrate it and I have decided to write an appendix to talk about forums/groups/etc. such as this to recognize the dedication of the people that helps to keep the legend alive.

Therefore, I would be thankful if you could let me know if you have any good resolution picture that could be included in the book and explain me in more detail some initiatives you have carried out in AMIT so I can write this appendix with the right focus.

Thanks so much in advance and congratulations for your great posts.

KR,

Peter

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Book about MK's music & life
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2024, 05:50:59 PM »
Hi Peter

First of all, good luck with the book.

What kind of picture did you have in mind?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2024, 06:26:14 PM »
For pictures, check this thread:

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=5434.0

I guess the text is written but I also would recommend you the answer thread by Ed Bicknell to get facts that haven't been mentioned before in any book!

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=8945.0

OfflinePeterRedwhite

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2024, 10:17:21 PM »
Thanks to you both for your answers.

I will check provided links carefully :)

Regarding the nature of the pictures, any good resolution photos of MK/MKband/DS/NHB are welcomed, but also MK's guitars, significant places of MK's life, MK's family, concert venues, etc.

Thanks a lot.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2024, 03:38:27 PM »
I don't know if it can help, but I wrote a lot of articles about the man :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/dire-straits-mark-knopfler/

it's in french, but several people here said they used Deepl, and it seems to work well

I wish you all the best for your book

OfflinePeterRedwhite

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2024, 10:04:33 PM »
I don't know if it can help, but I wrote a lot of articles about the man :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/dire-straits-mark-knopfler/

it's in french, but several people here said they used Deepl, and it seems to work well

I wish you all the best for your book

Thanks a lot!! I cannot speak French but I studied it in High School, so I will have a look before sending the definitive manuscript to the publisher and use DeepL when I see something I need an accurate translation :)

Thanks again for your kindness.

Offlineeugenewright

• Guitar George
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 10:10:07 AM »
Sounds great, I will definitely read it

OfflinePeterRedwhite

• Guitar George
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2024, 01:14:19 PM »

Thanks :) I will share the link once it is published in Spanish (mid-November) and will notify it if it is translated into any other language.

On the other hand, I have to deliver the final manuscript to the publisher today by 20h CET. I would be extremely thankful if anyone could share a bit more of the philosophy and initiatives of this forum to include a paragraph in the book. Please contact me through this thread, PM or email --> peteredwhite@outlook.es

PS: I still have a few days to look for good DS/MK's pictures

Thanks a million!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2024, 02:23:45 PM »

Thanks :) I will share the link once it is published in Spanish (mid-November) and will notify it if it is translated into any other language.

On the other hand, I have to deliver the final manuscript to the publisher today by 20h CET. I would be extremely thankful if anyone could share a bit more of the philosophy and initiatives of this forum to include a paragraph in the book. Please contact me through this thread, PM or email --> peteredwhite@outlook.es

Thanks a million!

So, there is a dedicated photo thread on here, but you/your publisher would need to clear all the copyrights.

As for AMIT, not sure we have a philosophy per se but I can give you a little bit of history.

AMIT was established by a small group of MK/DS fans from around the world who were frustrated with the official Mark Knopfler News forum, which had become stifling in terms of what was acceptable in terms of discussion. For example, little to no criticism of MK or his work was permitted. AMIT's key concern then is freedom of speech when discussing MK and DS.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePeterRedwhite

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2024, 03:05:06 PM »

Thanks a million!

So, there is a dedicated photo thread on here, but you/your publisher would need to clear all the copyrights.

As for AMIT, not sure we have a philosophy per se but I can give you a little bit of history.

AMIT was established by a small group of MK/DS fans from around the world who were frustrated with the official Mark Knopfler News forum, which had become stifling in terms of what was acceptable in terms of discussion. For example, little to no criticism of MK or his work was permitted. AMIT's key concern then is freedom of speech when discussing MK and DS.

Thanks for your answer :) I think this is enough. Regarding pictures, my publisher and I were already checking provided link but I was saying it again just in case someone would like to share his/her own photos. We already have some professional ones by a Spanish photographer but maybe there are some special ones anyone could be interested in sharing.

Thanks also for highlighting Ed Bicknell's Q&A. I studied it deeply and included some of his views in the text, I even altered some fragments as his answers sometimes gave me a better understanding of the whole thing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 38 queries.