Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 6465 times)

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2024, 10:58:38 AM »
Re the obvious question, has anyone actually asked why Ed and MK stopped working together?

He mentioned the last meeting they had, where MK was hard with him, and I guess that was the final reason for that, I guess it was a sum of things and this was the final drop, but maybe someone could ask for a more detailed explanation

Yes and it was covered in the podcast so maybe that is why no one has asked, but it probably is the most obvious question.

Apologies, I am miles behind the curve here. Which podcast was this?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2024, 11:46:29 AM »
Re the obvious question, has anyone actually asked why Ed and MK stopped working together?

He mentioned the last meeting they had, where MK was hard with him, and I guess that was the final reason for that, I guess it was a sum of things and this was the final drop, but maybe someone could ask for a more detailed explanation

Yes and it was covered in the podcast so maybe that is why no one has asked, but it probably is the most obvious question.

Bob Lefsetz, essential listening!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #137 on: September 13, 2024, 11:49:30 AM »
I was shocked to read about Van Morrison's attitude. I mean we knew he's notoriously a tough guy to work with and I remember Chuck Ainlay's funny interview where he was being extremely sarcastic about him, but damn... A percentage for a collaboration track? Does he know what the word "collaboration" means? Unbelievable.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #138 on: September 13, 2024, 09:41:46 PM »
About Hal 'passing the audition' and being the only one tried out: This makes me wonder how they knew or met Dany Lademacher, who didn't want to join the band.

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #139 on: September 13, 2024, 11:24:09 PM »

Bob Lefsetz, essential listening!

Thanks. It’s the one from May this year I take it? There’s another that was recorded in 2021.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #140 on: September 13, 2024, 11:42:59 PM »
They are both essential listening!

Not sucking up to Ed here because he has been a friend of AMIT, they are genuinely fascinating.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #141 on: September 14, 2024, 12:08:36 AM »
Quote from: Ed Bicknell
Cue Quizzy for more of his intellectual babbling which is great.
I love a person who knows his/her own opinions and isn’t afraid to express them even when they’re wrong .
I have a question for him and I'm genuinely curious…….

Is Wet Ass Pussy ( WAP) by Cardi B, art?
Is BIA art?
Is Tales of Topographic Oceans art?
Is Dark Side of The Moon, art ?
Is What’s Going On, art?
Is Rock and Roll Parts 1 and 2 art ?
Is Kill the Foetus ( by Esham) art?
Is MC Hammer art?
Is Kind of Blue art?
Is A Love Supreme art?
Is Mahler’s 5th Symphony art?
Is Adagio for Strings art?
Is Wonderful Land art?
Is Like A Virgin art?
Who decides?
On what basis?

Thank you for this amazing question. To answer it properly, I need to provide a little background and I'm truly sorry for the "War and Peace" wall of text I wrote below. If anyone makes it to the end—thanks for reading. And good luck!

I'm happy I was raised the way I was raised, my parents gave me an extremely broad education and upbringing, which later on I expanded tenfold myself. So when it came to music, I consumed everything from The Beatles to Slipknot, from obscure jazz records to heavily explicit hip-hop and avant-garde records both in Russian and in English, many of which I enjoyed, weirdly enough.

As a typical millennial, I played a lot of games too. When it came to video games, I chose games based on soundtracks and enjoyed my early days with music in nearly every music genre imaginable in dozens of great video games, many of which are considered the best games ever created.

It was all happening in Russia, where copyright and punishment for illegal downloading do not exist even to this day, so I could download any art in any quality and quantity, so I pushed this "privilege" to its limit. I even got to read a few of the unpublished stories of J. D. Salinger that he asked to never release and that got leaked on What.CD tracker, funny times. I feel very bad about it, but if you were born in a place like this, why not enjoy at least a few things that ARE good about it?

But anyway, where I get with all this—while I failed to properly pay for all the popular art I've consumed—I developed this deep admiration towards creativity as a whole and that's why the art question is so sensitive to me. To me, everything is art, especially everything you've mentioned (thanks for recommending these, I had to look something new up and enjoyed it!). And so Artist's Shit (Merda d'Artista) is art. Malevich's Black Square is art, and a very good one.

That's one of the joys of life to me. Anybody can [try to] put their poop in a can on display, and anybody can draw a black square, but of course, if you do it without any skill and out of context whatsoever, chances are you won't be getting a Wikipedia article about your creation. It's easy to pick up a basketball, but only a few grow up to be proper athletes.

Tribute bands are creating art by playing live music... "Weird Al" Yankovic creates art by doing comedy songs. I create art in the form of my YouTube videos. Ed Bicknell creates art if he decides to write a book. Humour, making people laugh is art. And this is a good question on its own. Are fart jokes humour? Well, hell yeah, and often very damn good humour if executed properly. And a perfect snobs and hypocrites detector!

So my definition of art is—it's a creation that gives you something genuinely new that you never had previously. Whether it's a line in a song, a chord sequence, a stroke in a painting, a good joke, a new emotion, the knowledge that somebody put their shit on display in a can, a remarkably bad song, whatever it is. One of my favourite things in life is when something is "so bad, it's good". That means art defines logic, is undefinable and works in mysterious ways.

Is Taylor Swift art? Yes, she is. For girls and boys who don't know better, whose parents can't explain to them why "Boots Of Spanish Leather" is better than ANY Taylor Swift's song. Maybe it's impossible to explain and we're all doomed, who knows? But it's still art, just not the one I would enjoy. It gives me NOTHING new to that I wouldn't already have, except the knowlege she truly may be more popular than Jesus.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #142 on: September 14, 2024, 12:32:24 AM »
Was revisiting the OG Ed thread

Yes.
There were a lot of smiles on stage during the BIA tour and probably a lot of laughs. OES was pretty grim from beginning to end. Not only Mark, but Alan was also a dark presence.

Another message from Ed B:

Camerado is right, absolutely, the BAND and CREW made OES work and became experts in disguising the sheer misery and toxicity of it and ultimately that’s why I eventually quit ( it had a quite “disturbing” effect on us all I think, mentally and physically ).
And Chris very subtly refers to another “issue” which you can now speculate about.

We’re all giving MK heat for the misery that was the OES tour, but it seems AC was just as bad?

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #143 on: September 14, 2024, 02:39:27 AM »
More amazing stories from Ed.

Auckland, 102,000 punters, BIA tour, the biggest show we ever did, magical night

My God I think I forgot about this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any Australian BIA especially Sydney, maybe that last one that was televised

I'm glad Ed mentioned this concert because I have a special fondness for it. I still dream that one day it will appear on an official album.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 02:44:42 AM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #144 on: September 14, 2024, 01:59:46 PM »
From the Q thread:

I know you'll think she has no taste in music, but Golden Heart is my wife's favorite of all the DS/MK albums.

I seem to recall that you had a whole tour lined up behind the release of GH, and then Mark decided he needed to record more songs, so you had to scrap the whole tour and start over.  Did you have any input into Mark deciding he needed more material for that album?  as in, "Mark, this album as currently constructed really doesn't cut it", or similar, or was that all Mark's doing?

And I imagine the PITA it was to start all over with the tour - was the original tour going to be more extensive than the one that ultimately was done?

Did you suggest the album be titled "Blade of Love"?  ;D

Man, I had a careful relisten to GH after a long time, and that album simply isn't a good album. Too many fillers, too many similar songs, too long, and musically all over the map. If Mark felt he had to record MORE songs, someone should be held accountable for not stopping him LOL And by the way, the way his voice is completely and deeply buried in the mix is very strange. It's almost impossible to understand what he is "singing".

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #145 on: September 14, 2024, 02:24:52 PM »
Definitely too long.

But if we were to have a poll here on what songs would be cut, nobody would agree, same thing that happens whenever anyone says the White Album would be better as a single disc (not comparing Golden Heart to the White Album!)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #146 on: September 14, 2024, 02:28:07 PM »
"But if we were to have a poll here on what songs would be cut, nobody would agree, same thing that happens whenever anyone says the White Album would be better as a single disc (not comparing Golden Heart to the White Album!)

:thumbsup It’s true.
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #147 on: September 14, 2024, 10:57:57 PM »
Yes, MK composed the music. I completely forgot about it. "Irish Road" in the background. Beautiful. Thanks wayaman:)

Chad Cromwell – drums

Ed:

I agree “Irish Road “ is beautiful

I could have asked a second question because it wasn't a question it was a statement and Ed agreed. :)
Clear as the day

Onlinekoobaa

• Camerado
« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2024, 11:24:47 PM »
Just ask the question, don't overthink it.
...Well, he's a big star now but I've been a fan of his for years. The way he sings and plays guitar still bring me to tears...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2024, 11:28:24 PM »
I was joking a bit:) Ed agreed with me that '"Irish Road" is beautiful :)
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 39 queries.