Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 6461 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #120 on: September 12, 2024, 09:31:51 PM »
I felt that Ed was bit beyond sarcastic on my recent questions.
Oh, boy.
Pity that text messages didn't have 'body language' and my english sucks. Because of that, i cannot know if i am 'too literal' or is his understandment of my questions were 'too literal'.
His answers really made me think that Ed really believes that I made voting pool to ensure which guitar part was played by MK and which part was played by the others (DK or HL).

My points were:
DK is a fine player? Definetly NO.
He was capable to do the job as a ryhtm player for those early days of DS?
To a audience perspective: Yes!
From a musician point of view: NO! And, to me, the pressure to be a good player was one of the reasons that DK quitted.
There a podcast with Pick that he mentions that, at the beggining, was a hell to play with John and David.
David only could play live.
He had the 'red light' syndrom for sure.

The story of Hal during his period on DS is strangely curious.
He went into the band with no audiction. I missed who made Hal's propaganda, but he got the job. And he played on a band call 'Darling'
In Ed's opinion, seems that Hal are this close to be such a bad player as David.
When I called Hal a pro-session player, Ed went mad LOL.
Well, Steve Lukather is a pro-session player. In comparison to Luke, Hal is nobody. (it's not a competition)
If Hal is so bad as a player, so why work with him? It's all business after all.

My tought was that Hal could do things tht David couldn't do. So, in my opinion, at the recording of LOG, Hal could add his guitars in a way that DK could not deliver. Bringing more knowledge to the band and sparing time on the recording sessions.

The only that could and still can impress Mark as player and also got big parts thru the records is, since the begging, Richard.
Phil is great too, but his inputs on OES album are, to my ears, close to none.

However, Hal has a good number of film composing and a lot of recordings along his career. Of course, been on Dire Straits still is, by far, his higuest point. But he made a living playing guitar after DS.

Another good thing about Hal is that he made a living playing stuff way far from DS. I think that we will never see Hal playing on DS Tribute concerts. Alan, Phil, Chris White, Jack, Danny, John and even Pick played at tribute concerts.

I don't care Hal was a pain in the ass, too much inflated or Alan was sush a megalomaniac. I am interested on the musical side. Unreleased songs, Studio recordings, inputs from musicians, producers, concerts dynamics... Because I made a living as a musician for more than 15 years.
However, it seems to be irrelevant to Ed. To him, seems that the only band that these subjects are interestings are The Shadows.

That 'Brega' thing is very interesting to my view.
How a rock band can have a very strong, an totally organic, influence on a poor region of Brazil. Stronger than The Beatles. An entire musical segment is based on the early DS songs. It's real amazing.
The power of music and his transformations.

At the end, what matters is the gossip.
What really sells is the famous triad: Exoterism, Violence and Gossip.

I didn't read John's book and i wont read it because it's only questionable gossip.

Beyond sarcartic or not, Ed's answers are pure gold.
He is very bold, that's for sure.
That's the way. Uhun Uhun
I Like It.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #121 on: September 12, 2024, 09:57:28 PM »
What I find most interesting is the fact that we were allowed to ask one question per each member and that you, Rolo, write literally novels with dozens of questions and get your detailed answers nevertheless. Ed seems to enjoy this whole thing immensely.  ;)

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #122 on: September 12, 2024, 10:07:59 PM »
What I find most interesting is the fact that we were allowed to ask one question per each member and that you, Rolo, write literally novels with dozens of questions and get your detailed answers nevertheless. Ed seems to enjoy this whole thing immensely.  ;)

LE

One question per family member  ;D
The novels are all about English level. As my english is very, very poor, i try to give some context for my questions.

I know that Ed is enjoyng it. The whole thing.
He gaves all the detailed answers.
What he didn't care he says: - I don't care.
And it is absolutely normal.

I am not saying that he was harsh. Actually he is very funny.
I just got lost on where is pure sarcasm, critic or joke

This tread is about the discussions about our questions.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #123 on: September 12, 2024, 10:16:20 PM »
"I just got lost on where is pure sarcasm, critic or joke"

Sometimes I have the same thing. But maybe that's my problem :D

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #124 on: September 12, 2024, 10:42:17 PM »
Please, Folks.
Don't get me wrong.

I am VERY HAPPY about Ed's answers.
I have laughing A LOT.
Sometimes try to go deeper, but the language barrier, sometimes, screws it a bit.

I just tryed to understand how deep I can put my finger in, without been intrusive.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #125 on: September 12, 2024, 11:09:43 PM »
Ed himself has said he doesn't care where the questions come from, he just wants good questions. And you guys have clearly provided them given the lengthy, detailed and hilarious answers.

There's clearly a slight language barrier here though - Ed's answers are framed in the classic British humour style of "taking the piss". All in good fun :)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #126 on: September 12, 2024, 11:19:13 PM »

LE

Ed himself has said he doesn't care where the questions come from, he just wants good questions. And you guys have clearly provided them given the lengthy, detailed and hilarious answers.

There's clearly a slight language barrier here though - Ed's answers are framed in the classic British humour style of "taking the piss". All in good fun :)

And I remember some folks being extremely exact about the rules :lol That's why I said right away, f***k the rules, fire up your question hoses, the more questions the better. With a guy like EB, the answer is more interesting than the question. To be honest, I'm not reading all the long questions, I'm deducing the question from Ed's answers. The question now is whether Ed himself read the questions or just go by luck :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #127 on: September 12, 2024, 11:23:56 PM »
Well we didn’t know how things would go, and they have gone well, particularly after you stopped complaining about stuff Quizzy, please don’t start again, it’s very boring. :) Both Ed and myself explained why things were set up as they were.

Ed graciously offered to extend things, he could just as easily decide to no longer participate, so please can we concentrate on more interesting stuff. :)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #128 on: September 12, 2024, 11:40:16 PM »
No complaints! Awesome questions, with even better questions yet to come especially since dropping the hint about THE obvious question missing, kudos to everybody who registered to ask a single question instead of relying on relatives and the likes of Busty Valentino. Kudos and laughs to Rolo for trying to use Ed's own weapon against him :lol  Ed's kung fu is better though, I'll be honest :lol I lost it at Ed's take on poor Brunno Ninny Nonny, peak trolling right there. I'm just crying it's all going to end in a few days.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #129 on: September 13, 2024, 02:01:29 AM »
Quote from: quizzaciously
link=topic=8946.msg184632#msg184632 date=1726177216
I lost it at Ed's take on poor Brunno Ninny Nonny, peak trolling right there. I'm just crying it's all going to end in a few days.

He makes me laugh naturally,😅 it was pure trolling, i can't think of anything else, he could have that opinion for real, just like anyone else, but I'm sure he's never seen me playing guitar. Ed has a provocative side, he's a "black belt in Karate", also, an interesting personality,👽 I'm sure he's been having fun with most of us, otherwise he would have already ended the subject and speaking for myself, I've been loving it all. Of course he comes to demystify a ton of stuff, for me, he was the best thing that has appeared on the forum so far, him and Chris, because they both brought facts based on their own experiences with the band, something that for me is worth its weight in gold. When it comes to the history of Dire Straits, Ed is as much of an authority as MK, I believe that so far, everything he has given us in his answers is a turning point that not even John's book or any other book about the band comes close to. I have never had so much fun and been so enthusiastic about following topics like these related to Ed's answers. I can only be grateful to him and everyone who contributed to this historic feat, the opportunity to interact a little with one of the most important people in projecting Dire Straits towards success :clap :wave.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 02:13:59 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2024, 06:30:05 AM »
No complaints! Awesome questions, with even better questions yet to come especially since dropping the hint about THE obvious question missing, kudos to everybody who registered to ask a single question instead of relying on relatives and the likes of Busty Valentino. Kudos and laughs to Rolo for trying to use Ed's own weapon against him :lol  Ed's kung fu is better though, I'll be honest :lol I lost it at Ed's take on poor Brunno Ninny Nonny, peak trolling right there. I'm just crying it's all going to end in a few days.

This "missing obvious question" thing drives me crazy to be honest. What could it be?

I was thinking about his top 5 live shows which he mentioned but that's not too obvious. Plus too private questions about money and relationship were forbidden so I really have no clue...

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #131 on: September 13, 2024, 07:51:31 AM »
Re the obvious question, has anyone actually asked why Ed and MK stopped working together?

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2024, 07:58:35 AM »

This "missing obvious question" thing drives me crazy to be honest. What could it be?

I was thinking about his top 5 live shows which he mentioned but that's not too obvious. Plus too private questions about money and relationship were forbidden so I really have no clue...

LE

Maybe it was related to selling the percentage of the DS catalogue? It's not about money per se, cause it's known and... well, obvious. In the podcast, EB even stated the company name he sold it to and at the time of listening to the podcast, you could buy the rights from them, assuming you had cash and belief in 40-year-old songs :lol

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2024, 09:46:14 AM »
Re the obvious question, has anyone actually asked why Ed and MK stopped working together?

He mentioned the last meeting they had, where MK was hard with him, and I guess that was the final reason for that, I guess it was a sum of things and this was the final drop, but maybe someone could ask for a more detailed explanation

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2024, 10:08:56 AM »

He mentioned the last meeting they had, where MK was hard with him, and I guess that was the final reason for that, I guess it was a sum of things and this was the final drop, but maybe someone could ask for a more detailed explanation

Yes and it was covered in the podcast so maybe that is why no one has asked, but it probably is the most obvious question.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.