Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 5752 times)

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2024, 04:40:14 PM »
There was one person who I and quite a number of the others would have been happy to see the back of but unfortunately he was saved by his talent.

Wow, this was such a highlight. The guy definitely doesn't look amicable at all, I can't totally imagine the bad vibes.

I'd go for Alan if I would be asked to give a wild guess.

LE
Alan seems like the same kind of megalomaniac, but at the same time, talented asswipe that Jon Carin seems to be (dayum that one is bonkers btw,...)

Judging by Ed's comment of "a dickhead to a few", it might even refer to MK himself during that particular tour. But I don't think that's very likely.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2024, 05:20:04 PM »
"MK’s solo career has been sustained by the fan base. I doubt he’s expanded his audience at all and without DS he wouldn’t have had a career, probably not even a record deal.

Yes. Harsh but pragmatic and I could be completely wrong."

Interesting one this one.  I think I completely agree.  I'm a Dire Straits fan but if I'm really honest with myself I'm not sure I'm that much of an MK solo career fan.  I know there is a lot of love for his solo work here (slightly the point of the whole forum) so I won't go further into it but that's my personal perspective.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2024, 05:58:18 PM »
There was one person who I and quite a number of the others would have been happy to see the back of but unfortunately he was saved by his talent.

Wow, this was such a highlight. The guy definitely doesn't look amicable at all, I can't totally imagine the bad vibes.

I'd go for Alan if I would be asked to give a wild guess.

LE
Alan seems like the same kind of megalomaniac, but at the same time, talented asswipe that Jon Carin seems to be (dayum that one is bonkers btw,...)

Judging by Ed's comment of "a dickhead to a few", it might even refer to MK himself during that particular tour. But I don't think that's very likely.

Everybody is a dickhead sometimes. I know I am. I like to think I have become less of a dickhead as I have got older and learned from my mistakes but that is probably wishful thinking :)

PS Even Saint Pottel is a dickhead sometimes, and he has indeed banned people (justifiably!)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2024, 06:04:27 PM »
Pottel has to be the most adequate AMIT member. His post are short and precise unlike mine, he's always funny and calm as a tank (as we say in Russia), never joins into arguments and fights, but rather trying his best to resolve them and avoid them. He never quits, never threaten, never ban, never insult anyone, overall a top bloke I'd be happy to share a drink together should the world be less fucked up and travel was possible for me. Pottel is the Rick Blaine of AMIT. And he's a co-founder of the damn thing. Amen!

quizzaciously, weren't you banned more than once ?

Offlineerjan

• Guitar George
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2024, 06:30:31 PM »
"MK’s solo career has been sustained by the fan base. I doubt he’s expanded his audience at all and without DS he wouldn’t have had a career, probably not even a record deal.

Interesting one this one.  I think I completely agree.  I'm a Dire Straits fan but if I'm really honest with myself I'm not sure I'm that much of an MK solo career fan.  I know there is a lot of love for his solo work here (slightly the point of the whole forum) so I won't go further into it but that's my personal perspective.
I'm reading a bit more between the lines here. I guess this remark, together with Ed's remark about Mark being a two hit wonder, hints at the end of their relationship where Mark probably totally deminished Ed's role in the success of DS. If I'm in the right direction here I would say about this that Mark probably had enough talent to build a career without DS, but DS and also Ed made it so that he could record it all in his own studio. Then again, this theory could be as much crap as my questions to Ed were  :-[

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2024, 06:38:22 PM »

Pragmatic ? it's a joke I hope Ed, yes completely wrong

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2024, 06:42:40 PM »
Pottel has to be the most adequate AMIT member. His post are short and precise unlike mine, he's always funny and calm as a tank (as we say in Russia), never joins into arguments and fights, but rather trying his best to resolve them and avoid them. He never quits, never threaten, never ban, never insult anyone, overall a top bloke I'd be happy to share a drink together should the world be less fucked up and travel was possible for me. Pottel is the Rick Blaine of AMIT. And he's a co-founder of the damn thing. Amen!

quizzaciously, weren't you banned more than once ?

Banned — never, left the forum — all the time, got topics deleted — all the time, scolded by mods in DM's... all the time. You see, my forum rages are always justified, so if somebody asked for it, it's difficult to stop me. I'm a classic "don't get me started" kind of person. But I was never banned because I fight people with dignity and respect. Those who lack it get banned instead 8)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2024, 06:53:03 PM »
Quizzy's never been banned... but the night is yet young ;)

In all seriousness other than bots I could count the number of people we have had to ban over the last 16 years on the fingers of one hand.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2024, 07:02:16 PM »

Pragmatic ? it's a joke I hope Ed, yes completely wrong

(Praise mode on) Ed is my favourite type of people because I can't say I agree with almost every single one of his taste calls (like this take above), but he makes up for it with humour, stories and attention to detail.

Like yes, no joke, Mark's solo career is sustained by the fan base, as it wasn't his songs, his guitar playing and his voice that have built it in the first place. To me, there are no DS or solo career, just MK in progress.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2024, 07:13:09 PM »
Mary, Joseph and the little baby Jesus have mercy ...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2024, 07:30:45 PM »
I regret that only one question because I have a second one that I like more than the first one. ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2024, 07:41:39 PM »
I regret that only one question because I have a second one that I like more than the first one. ;)

You can play the family/friends card question, lol

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2024, 07:49:21 PM »

Yes, I know, but I'd rather ask it myself. Because it's mine. :)
Clear as the day

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2024, 08:21:39 PM »

Then you can't, lol

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2024, 08:24:35 PM »

Then you can't, lol

Too bad. Maybe Ed will be ready for another round someday.
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.