Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD  (Read 4787 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - DISCUSSION THREAD
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2024, 05:50:11 PM »
Sorry, not sure if I understood it correctly.  I am one of those who already had a question answered by Ed. Am I allowed to ask another one (because of the extended time frame).
Thanks!

LE

It's one question per member BUT! if you have a friend who isn't an AMIT member then you can post that question on their behalf (in the questions thread)...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2024, 05:53:00 PM »
Ok, thanks!

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2024, 06:00:00 PM »
Sorry, not sure if I understood it correctly.  I am one of those who already had a question answered by Ed. Am I allowed to ask another one (because of the extended time frame).
Thanks!

LE

You can ask one more of behalf of your friend, if you have a friend ofcourse  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2024, 06:10:28 PM »
Thanks!

LE

You can ask one more of behalf of your friend, if you have a friend ofcourse  ;)

And I advise not to overuse it and treat it as free +1, but rather provide a genuine enquiry from somebody who don't want to bother to register here to ask a single question.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2024, 06:43:40 PM »
Ed's comments about overdubs on On The Night made me brought a very little, almost invisible, smile.

oh, dear...

OnlineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2024, 07:52:18 PM »
Ed's comments about overdubs on On The Night made me brought a very little, almost invisible, smile.

oh, dear...

Same here! 😅
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OnlineWizard

• Guitar George
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2024, 09:17:13 PM »
Reading Ed's answers the parting of the ways with Mark was the right thing for both of them. If Ed doesn't listen to Mark's new stuff, he can't understand how Mark has grown as a lyricist and songwriter. Mark as a big fan of Bob always wanted to be an aartist. It is his calling. I think Mark lost his way slightly with the brothers in armd and on every street records. He needed a fresh start.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2024, 09:19:13 PM »
Quote from: Ed Bicknell
I'm going to move on with just one comment.

He is a songwriter, singer and guitarist, father and husband and friend to many and dickhead to a few.

It’s not art. It is disposable pop music, entertainment, show business and it gives huge enjoyment to vast numbers of people and creates a lot of employment but it’s called “pop” music for a reason.

Because it’s popular.

That's the point of it.

And you will never persuade me that the EVERYTHING you say makes it more than that.

Obviously nothing personal, you just flipped one of my switches.

Seems like we live on completely different planets with Ed because I can't agree with this at all if I understood his words correctly.

From my experience in life, from all art, including sculpture, painting, poetry, theatre, architecture, whatever it is, music is probably the most important one. Even cinema and photography (as art, not iPhone shots) are not as accessible, ubiquitous, abundant, approachable and built into humanity as music.

People from any background can sing the pentatonic scale as famously demonstrated by Bobby McFerrin at the World Science Festival. Music is built right in us, one of the first things children do in life is either sing or dance to music, and the most viewed video of all time on YouTube is the kid's song with 15 billion views.

Pop music, as Ed said in the answer to my question, builds entire generations in which Ed Bicknells and Mark Knopflers of this world grow. Iconic pop songs, like, say, Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" literally save people's lives. Mark's "ditties" as he calls them, have the same effect—one of his favourite stories is one of a guy, who approached him saying he wanted to commit suicide but decided to go on because of his music.

That's also the reason music is truly the most accessible commodity today after air and water and is so easy to get. So I truly don't know. Getting popular is not the point of popular music. Music is popular because it's important for people and offers them something way more than simple enjoyment. It provides a soundtrack to their life.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2024, 09:24:32 PM »
Quote from: Ed Bicknell
I'm going to move on with just one comment.

He is a songwriter, singer and guitarist, father and husband and friend to many and dickhead to a few.

It’s not art. It is disposable pop music, entertainment, show business and it gives huge enjoyment to vast numbers of people and creates a lot of employment but it’s called “pop” music for a reason.

Because it’s popular.

That's the point of it.

And you will never persuade me that the EVERYTHING you say makes it more than that.

Obviously nothing personal, you just flipped one of my switches.

Seems like we live on completely different planets with Ed because I can't agree with this at all if I understood his words correctly.

From my experience in life, from all art, including sculpture, painting, poetry, theatre, architecture, whatever it is, music is probably the most important one. Even cinema and photography (as art, not iPhone shots) are not as accessible, ubiquitous, abundant, approachable and built into humanity as music.

People from any background can sing the pentatonic scale as famously demonstrated by Bobby McFerrin at the World Science Festival. Music is built right in us, one of the first things children do in life is either sing or dance to music, and the most viewed video of all time on YouTube is the kid's song with 15 billion views.

Pop music, as Ed said in the answer to my question, builds entire generations in which Ed Bicknells and Mark Knopflers of this world grow. Iconic pop songs, like, say, Peter Gabriel's "Don't Give Up" literally save people's lives. Mark's "ditties" as he calls them, have the same effect—one of his favourite stories is one of a guy, who approached him saying he wanted to commit suicide but decided to go on because of his music.

That's also the reason music is truly the most accessible commodity today after air and water and is so easy to get. So I truly don't know. Getting popular is not the point of popular music. Music is popular because it's important for people and offers them something way more than simple enjoyment. It provides a soundtrack to their life.

I agree  :thumbsup

I think Ed has connected music and the music industry too much, and that's why we get this impression of this statement.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2024, 09:35:07 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2024, 09:45:01 PM »
There was one person who I and quite a number of the others would have been happy to see the back of but unfortunately he was saved by his talent.

Wow, this was such a highlight. The guy definitely doesn't look amicable at all, I can't totally imagine the bad vibes.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2024, 09:46:22 PM »
I agree with Ed that pop music can never be art. Important, relevant, yes. But even Mark himself would probably laugh about calling his music art.

LE

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2024, 09:47:49 PM »
There was one person who I and quite a number of the others would have been happy to see the back of but unfortunately he was saved by his talent.

Wow, this was such a highlight. The guy definitely doesn't look amicable at all, I can't totally imagine the bad vibes.

I'd go for Alan if I would be asked to give a wild guess.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2024, 10:22:25 PM »

Yes, this statement also struck me. :think
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2024, 10:29:01 PM »
I agree with Ed that pop music can never be art. Important, relevant, yes. But even Mark himself would probably laugh about calling his music art.

LE

What gives? Art is creating something out of nothing, whether it's a poem, a painting, a movie script, shooting a movie, designing a video game, writing a song, building a piece of furniture, designing a building, or designing a font. Music is probably not as celebrated as other arts, but it even has its own Oscar, for Mark's sake. Grammy.

How can a sensible human put a "≠" sign between music and art is beyond me. There is some music I wouldn't call art, but you know to which music it can be applied and you can say that about any questionable creation in any category of "art". There are bad movies, bad poems, bad paintings and pretty much everything.

What you're saying is true if the question is "Does Mark Knopfler consider himself an artist?". Of course, that's funny. Nobody in their right mind will think about themselves as "maestros" and creators of art, but it doesn't mean what they are doing is not art. Centuries ago, art was just what people did, and a piano was at every home.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2024, 10:34:14 PM »

Yes, this statement also struck me. :think

That's so awesome though. Talent is the ultimate gauge of everything, as was previously discussed in other threads. Even if you're an asshole, talent can save you, what an important lesson in life ;D

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 38 queries.