Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD  (Read 8401 times)

Offlinedr

• Guitar George
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2024, 01:20:16 AM »
Message from Mimmo with 4 photos in attachment:

Dear Ed,
english is not my language. Hard for me to understand if yours it's just british humour or something different. But I am not neither a dreamer nor a liar, see the 4 attached photos.  I was happy to get in touch again with you after so many years, at least just to say hello, but I wish I'd never posted that message. I'll stay with my happy memories of 25 years ago. All the best .
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 02:26:50 AM by dr »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2024, 01:34:05 AM »
I can't find if this was asked already, but my distant relative from Uranus, Rusty Valentino, is curious about other "unusual" celebrities you or M met. You've mentioned Pat Boone and Joe Pass, which I never knew, and it made my day. Joe Pass successfully inspired thousands of guitar players to quit guitar, what a legend. M mentioned Ennio Morricone, Chet Baker, and Rüdiger himself, being close friends with Lonnie Donegan and a million obvious examples. It seems he met everybody who wasn't dead. If Elvis lived as long as Colonel Tom Parker, I bet we'd have a duet. So if you have something else to share on this front, that would be great.

Offlinedrparkinson

• Guitar George
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2024, 04:21:22 AM »
Hi Ed. 

I'm a bit late to the party and have not yet been able to read all responses so far, so apologies if some of this has already been covered and if there are too many questions. 

1] Dire Straits were recorded live at the Hope & Anchor, London in 1977 and Eastbound Train was released on the “Front Row Festival” LP and as a DS b-side. Do you recall the circumstances around this recording? Was the whole show recorded by the band and that track given to the LP organisers?

2] Do you know if MK ever recorded any home demos of any of his songs (eg on a portastudio or just strumming on an acoustic guitar to a cassette) to present to the band (or management) before LP sessions or would the usual process be for MK to just play the songs live to the band in rehearsal?

3] From a previous answer you seem to have been unaware of the Solid Rock demo being released on the 1981 Riding High soundtrack – I had presumed this may have been given to the soundtrack compilers by the record company by mistake, but the back of the LP sleeve states "Many of the tracks featured on this album were specially composed, recorded or re-arranged for the film.", so looks like a different version of Solid Rock was intended to be used, so surely the band/management would have been aware at the time? (Also, DS are seen recording this version at Basing Street studios in the 1980 Arena BBC special.)

4] Another demo question – the version of Where Do You Think You’re Going on the 1988 Money For Nothing LP was a demo (but not noted as such on the sleeve) – any recollections why this was specifically chosen over the LP version for that release? 

5] Were any additional unreleased tracks recorded for Brothers In Arms? Any additional tracks recorded for On Every Street-possibly Think I Love You Too Much or The Long Highway that were played on the tour? 

6] Did you accompany MK to his Steely Dan session? If so, any recollections? 

7] Were you present in the studio when MK recorded Blanket Roll Blues with Scott Walker? If so, any recollections? Are you aware if MK recorded any other material with Scott for the Climate of Hunter LP? 

8] Any recollections from the Knebworth 1990 show where DS appeared augmented by Eric Clapton’s band? Also, were any of the 1988 Hammersmith Mandela shows recorded to your knowledge? 

9] Looking back, any thoughts on why the On Every Street LP may not have been more successful in terms of sales/critical attention at the time? May these reasons include the success of Brothers In Arms being too big a yardstick for any band to be measured against and also many other big selling albums being released around the same time that may have taken some attention away from DS? 

10] And finally - I previously worked for the BBC and one of the “perks” of the job was access to some of their digital archive including the full unedited recordings of some pre broadcast interviews. I once found an interview of MK with Johnnie Walker from 2015, where at the end, once the main interview was finished and they were preparing to leave, Mr Walker could be heard asking MK “So how is Basher Bicknell these days?” (I can’t remember MK’s exact answer – I think he replied along the lines that you were no longer working together).

My question is - I had never heard you referred to as “Basher” before - was this a music industry nickname for you back in the day and what was the origin?

Many thanks! 

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2024, 06:12:59 AM »
Dear Ed, I have no words to thank you for your patience and attention in answering my questions. What a privilege I had and so many others had here. Who knows, maybe the more than 100 questions you answered here will inspire you to write a book. You have the fuel to take this journey through your memories and take us together through a fun and exciting reading materialized in a book. This can be an essay, if you want. But if you don't want to, that's not a problem at all. I'm sure that we will ALL be eternally grateful for the opportunity you gave us here at AMIT.  :clap Speaking for myself, I never imagined that this would be possible. This is the miracle of the internet, one of its best fruits.

Since we are nearing the end, and the bells are about to ring, I will paraphrase:
"And then the man he steps right up to the microphone
And says at last just as the time bell rings
"Goodnight, now it's time to go home"
Then he makes it fast with one more thing..."🎸🎸🎸

The last questions will be from my uncle, Kingsley Nunes I:🫢😅

What are the moments you miss most when you think of Dire Straits?

There is a benefit show that the Notting Hillbillies did shortly after the OES tour ended, at Swan Hunter 06.07.93, Newcastle City Hall, Newcastle, UK, we have the audio of it available for our enjoyment, however, it was filmed as we can see in the following photo from the Swan Hunter show 06.07.93. in the link below to the wonderful website, On Every Bootleg.

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/swanhunter_04.jpg

http://www.oneverybootleg.nl/swanhunter_02.jpg

To this day it has never been released, at this show, Alan Clark was in Guy's place for some reason that we do not know. Are you aware of this video recording? What do you remember about that performance?

It's a shame that none of the NHB shows between 97 and 99 were officially recorded by you. It would have been fabulous. Thank goodness some kind people were able to record it on video for our enjoyment.

Finally, a daydream (thinking outside the box, playing with your imagination):😱 If in the 90s a sought-after filmmaker told you that he wanted to make a film about Mark Knopfler, telling his love for music, for instruments, since his childhood, his talent as a guitarist and the paths that led him to Dire Straits... In your opinion, is there any way that something like this could be told on the big screen someday? Even if it was with a pinch of fiction, a bit of drama or comedy (these things happen), but without straying too far from the band's biography? How would you react?👽🖖🏻

Many bands and musicians have had this kind of thing happen to them, Elton John, John Lennon, Queen, in 2025 we will have A Complete Unknown, a film that portrays the life of Bob Dylan. The story of how Jack became the guitarist for Dire Straits at the height of the band's popularity is a surreal story in itself, as he demonstrates in podcasts that I was able to watch, but also the beginning of the band, in the midst of the hurricane of Punk, New Wave in England and Disco Music in the United States, it was absolutely challenging for a band like they were in 77 to gain space and grow exponentially over the years, almost never following the musical trends of their time. A good filmmaker could make a good juice by squeezing this "orange" well, you can't completely underestimate it, I don't know if you agree, dear Ed.

This must have certainly been the worst question asked to you on this forum, without rhyme or reason, I'm almost asleep as I write, it's past midnight here in Brazil.🥱🥱🥱

May God bless you always, Ed, 🙏🏻as has already been written here, you are worth your weight in gold.🙌🏻

Fraternally.👏🏻
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 06:18:11 AM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2024, 09:46:55 AM »
my alter ego MvP just realized no one asked (much) about the dylan connection
how was YOUR experience dealing with BD back in 79 and again in 82/83 as well as down under in 86?
and did Mark behave ANY different when he was around him? seeing as he calls him his main influence since his sis bought that first record of him...
pretty sure being around Dylan should be a source of some amazing stories, pls do not dissapoint.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2024, 11:06:02 AM »
My uncle Ignatius is really curious about your thoughts on OES tour, musically speaking and its evolution through its duration.

- What do you think were the show's highlights and downs?
- On its beginning there was much more variety in terms of set list. On the later part, set list was pretty much set in stone with perhaps When It Comes To You or Fade To Black getting in and out. Do you have any insight on this? Was this consequential with the band mood's at that moment?
- Is there any song rendition/version you thought it was a downgrade from previous tours? What do you think about M using the Pensa Suhr for pretty much every classic song?

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2024, 11:11:18 AM »
Ed, my cousin still won't get out more!!

Dire Straits played a show in the early 80's which also had Mike Oldfield on the bill, did you meet him? Did he and Mark chat? I know Mike is a fan of Mark.
What did you think of Mark's playing the first time you ever saw him play?
What would be written on your head stone?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all our questions.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #172 on: September 17, 2024, 11:54:11 AM »
Ed, a question from my stinky old uncle, Fusty Valentino.

He was prompted by the mention of Knebworth above.

On the original posters/programme/tv broadcast it was billed as "Mark Knopfler" appearing, but by the time the CD/video came out it had changed to DS, can you remember the reason for the change?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #173 on: September 17, 2024, 03:28:56 PM »
Question from my cousins friend Nark Kobbler.

Hello Ed

What was the deal with the Live At the BBC release?  Was this just a contractual thing and were there any other alternatives considered at the time?  E.g the Mandela gig, do you think Mandela set will ever be released?   

Thanks for all the answers so great to read. A lot of joy.

OfflineSilver Eagle

• Guitar George
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2024, 07:00:36 PM »
Hi Ed,

Thank your for you dedication to this Q&A.

These are my sons' questions (one for each of them):

Sound evolution. From your point of view: What was the most unexpected musical approach change during the first five studio albums? Did MK anticipate you where his musical direction was heading to? Did he ask you for advice in that sense anytime?

The "7th" Studio Record. What type of record did you miss from DS career, that one that it should had been done? No need to be the last one, but any opportunity in between the other ones.

Songs and audience. Which song do you think it was never applauded enough (hidden gem) and which one surprised you being a top song to the audience?

Longer DS life. Would DS have kept releasing a few more albums if BIA had a success level Alchemy-like years? Not so burnout mentally and physically, less media exposure, less exhausting fan environment, etc.

Kicking-off. 1977-1979, the band is starting to feel that this time can really work and this is the opportunity of their lives. Were they stepping up to improve themselves as musicians (more hours of practice, music theory study, other professional players help)? Or they didn't have time for that with the early quick success train of promotions, gigs, recording sessions...

Hypothetical future. All planets align and you are back as MK (fit and looking forward to go back on tours) manager with plenty of powers: what would you do with his career?

MK in another band. Was MK tempted anytime to split DS and join any well/long time established band?

Ed is in back in town. How would it be the band that takes you back from your retirement? A band that ignites that fire that DS sparked 46 years ago, that it'll make you say: "this is my last dance". What ingredients would you like too see in a pub band to put you back in action?

...and finally my question:

MK and his approach to harder rock genres: does he like them? Did he listen to these bands? Did he try to walk on that route anytime (heavier sounds around the 79-80&BBC Arena era, also certains moments of the BIA Tour). I'm curious to know a little bit more of his thoughts related to that part of the rock history (interviews and himself mostly focusing 60's classic rock backwards onto blues/country pioneers). Just to mention a few, no need to go one by one, but if you consider to say anything about any of them (maybe they were another planet to Mark and he was not interested at all):

1st heavy metal/hard rock eras: Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Wishbone Ash, Budgie, Thin Lizzy, UFO, Kiss, Scorpions, AC/DC, Rainbow...
Until things went to next generations: Motorhead, Randy Rhoads, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Helloween, Guns N' Roses, virtuosos like Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai...

Anything from the prog-rock band Camel leaded by Andy Latimer? MK and AL share very deep emotional tones sometimes.

And the cherry on the top: could you tell us the name of any band we wouldn't imagine MK loves?

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 07:15:58 PM by Silver Eagle »

Offlinevape68

• Guitar George
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2024, 07:21:51 PM »
Ed, please more info on the funny wierd Assad boy

OfflineSilver Eagle

• Guitar George
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2024, 07:56:53 PM »
Hi Ed,

My youngest son learnt to speak between my last post and this one. This is his question:

Can you tell us your dreamed DS line-up with musicians that weren't in the band?
Only three conditions:
1) Avoid players that participated in charities, obvious options or unrealistic chances -i.e: Clapton as the DS rhythm guitarist for years-).
2) They don't have to be the best ones, but they would match MK musically and they would blend tastefully with DS songs' spirit or adding a singular touch.
3) You can pick them from any moment in music history, not only active musicians during 77-92.

And my final question:
Can we know your opinion as a drummer yourself about Brian Downey?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 07:59:24 PM by Silver Eagle »

OfflineIngrained

• Guitar George
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2024, 11:16:13 PM »
Hi Ed

Thank you for taking your time to look at my question.

You’ve touched upon certain things in other peoples answers along the way, whether Alchemy was a mix of nights, also the filming of the Paris '83 gigs and Universal Studio Fire. It’s nice to be hearing this new info. The production logo for Alchemy says it was a PolyGram Music Video International production, who then presumably hired Limelight Films as the actual “film crew” to produce the footage. Polygram Filmed Entertainment then seems to have been sold on or taken over by several companies along it’s way such as Universal Pictures - then possibly onto a company called Vivendi - or Universal Studios - all according to Wikipedia. It's confusing to read but makes me wonder how any archives are dealt with during these changes. I do hope that any archived film footage wasn’t part of the 2008 Universal Studio fire that destroyed many original master tapes of artists. It had crossed my mind before whether DS lost anything in that fire.

So my question, can you recall if the original footage/negative of the “other” night of Alchemy (Hammersmith) was kept in it’s entirety and if so, was that kept in archive conditions somewhere? Or that same question more specifically from your managerial perspective maybe, was the “other” night also agreed to be supplied and archived or was the agreement with the film team at the time more something like - to simply “supply 1x DS concert movie”. Would there have been an effort to archive and store things like any unused footage and negatives back in 1983, even if deemed not “required” after completion?

As for any future releases, I’m not pursuing that question and I’m aware that it’s not your area now, just whether you recall if the “other” night was archived properly at the time and exists? Hopefully not lost in somewhere like the warehouse at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Thank you
Ingrained
<- ->
-> <-

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #178 on: September 18, 2024, 01:02:38 AM »
And with that, we are done!

Answers to follow…
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.