Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD  (Read 8385 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2024, 01:03:03 PM »
if we were talking about Gilmour, we would say the (big) Muff's touch  :lol :lol

Ooooh!

* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2024, 07:03:26 PM »
Thank you again, Ed.

I was surprised by Muff’s comments in that TV doc but he’s a producer, I’m not ( and a lovely bloke ). I do not think M shared that view.
M didn't share Muff's view (and the rest of world too)

MTV. He did? Really?
We were never approached, we did not approach them, he never mentioned it to me.
Your thoughts are "not a good idea" aren’t they? .
I remember to see one or two interviews and he talked about a Unplugged Concert.
(my thoughs are that he was waving to MTV)
Well, if MK was interested in a low profile public life, maybe the MTVUnp wasn't the ideal.
I think that (confirmed) MTV never made an approach.
Would be nice? Yes.

I wasn’t involved in the STP tour.
That explains a lot.

Dusty tells me you don't take collect calls so I wouldn’t anyway.
Please, Ed.
Don't take me serious, ever.
All my questions for you are about having a good laugh at the end.
And I never take collect calls.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #107 on: September 08, 2024, 10:53:39 PM »
Hello Ed,

Again, many thanks for doing this. I was on vacation while this initiative started, so now I've had to waste 8 hours of life reading all your previous answers. Worth it.

Three questions if you and Dusty allow me (I'm not sure about the rules).

- Which countries did you try to get DS to perform but never managed?
- Which country was the most difficult to tour in (in terms of logistics, promoters, payments, all of that)? I know you've mentioned Italy as being difficult in 80/81, but was there a country you particularly struggled with?
- Dire Straits visited my country, Portugal, twice in 1992. Any particular memories of those days there, and why did DS not perform there during the 85/86 tour?

Offlineerjan

• Guitar George
« Reply #108 on: September 08, 2024, 11:21:46 PM »
One person in DS was so active in that area, his body just became a life support system for his penis.
I'm still facing the wall in shame for bringing up your mighty beast, and had MKs solo career been included I would have definitely gone for Richard Bennett, but my guess would be Danny Cummings (If you can play latin percussion and recorded with George Michael and Elton John all options must be open!)

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2024, 11:36:35 PM »
This is such a great opportunity to ask someone from within the whole operation, I love it.
I wonder (I don't mean this as a gossip-question) how (and if ;-) the band stayed sober and seemingly blind to all the excess drug-fueled showbizz that was going on in the '80's. It seems every band for those years has crazy stories to either tell of being told about them, and DS is never 'accused' of any that! Where there afterparty after shows, did the band go into town for drinks after shows or was it as professional as it appears to be, and were shows being done without some divine intervention (wink) after weeks of little sleep and the occasional cold and/or hangover?

OfflineViervalen

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #110 on: September 09, 2024, 12:07:23 AM »
Hi Ed,

How was like, managing David and Alan?

Generalied opinion is that david leaving the band was not easy and affected family relationships and so on. But after leaving the band we can see Mk playing with David’s band in San Remo both happy and smiling and good harmony. You have any clue what was that about? Was then after david leaves, the major problem between them?

Same with Alan. We can see him after OES and after OTN supporting mk on keabords in a masterclass for 3 guitar players in a tvshow. Was everything ok between them ?

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #111 on: September 09, 2024, 07:23:47 PM »
Ed

Thanks again for doing this.

It was told to me once that you had pushed or maybe just suggested to Mark to get the band back together and do another big tour when the Sultans of Swing compilation was released.  Or perhaps the record companies wanted it.  Any truth to this?

EDIT: This seems kind of unlikely to me given what you've said about the OES tour...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 07:30:09 PM by TJ »
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2024, 08:43:06 PM »
Hello Ed, my cousin Ally (not on this forum sadly) always wondered about what Mark had said at the Nelson Mandela gig about Jack. In his little speech at the Walk Of Life break Mark made it look like he suddenly and surprisingly had to find an replacement inside-left as Jack would have become daddy of two lovely babies. How much truth was in this? I wonder if Jack really would have played the Mandela gig if the babies would have been born in, let's say August.Q:  Was he ever really asked to do the gig? When was it really decided that Eric would play inside-left?

I know this touches the Jack Sonni theme again but the Nelson Mandela gig was an absolute great thing for me. I always wished this concert would have been properly and officially released as an live album (much better idea than "Live At The BBC"...)
I know Dire Straits were asked very early and were headliners together with Simple Minds. I loved that the rehearsal gigs were made available for fans, was that your idea?  Those gigs must have been pure fun. (I always wondered why Mark looked so pale, tired and old at the real event. He could have got a proper hair cut and a decent suit before. Those striped trousers! )

Thank youhuuuuuuu!

LE
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 09:13:25 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #113 on: September 10, 2024, 03:50:15 AM »
Ed, the almighty.
Lord of Laughs.

Sometimes, me and my dear friend Brunno Nunes (which is a great guitar player and has a great DS Early Years cover act at his hometown ) catch us talking about DK and Hal as, and only as, guitar players.

Hal is a pro-session guitar player until nowadays. Composed a bunch of film scores and recorded a lot of albums. David, was never a pro-player (in my opinion). However, he was capable to deliver the job until the date that he leaves the band.

Thru the 2 first DS albums, DK's guitar is very, very discrete. Both albums are essencially Mark playng guitar, like 90/10 in coparison to David.

To my ears, Hal was (is) very capable to mimic Mark's playing. However, his playing turned (i don't know if was because of Alan) very modest and far from his capacities as a guitar player (Hal can play, technically, much better than what we hear on the records)

So, I have 1 question and my uncle Muff Rolovsky has another one.

- How Hal joined the band? He was indicated by someone? He played on some kind of audition? Were other players in mind or was only Hal?
He wasn't a Joe Doe either, was he?

- How much Hal played on the LOG album? In percentage, less than David? I am asking this question based on a recent discussion here on the forum.
My thoughts are that Hal, because he could mimic MK very well, his parts (on the record) are, sometimes, interpreted as played by Mark.
The public opinion says that Hal played only few lines and chords on the record, the rest (95%) was MK.

off topic:
Did you know that a modern version of a brazilian kind of romantic style called ''brega' is totally inspired by DS? (mainly about Sultans)
And  bunch of Brazilian Latin (based on latin-spanish culture) bands are crazy about DS?
There are very small poor cities (almost villages) in the Northeast of Brazil that the only international music that plays on the streets and bars are DS.

Thanks again, Ed.
I am laughing just imagining your answers.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #114 on: September 10, 2024, 01:47:33 PM »
Hi Ed, loving your answers, pure funny!!

One question I have - when Johnnie Walker interviewed Mark in 1992 at Woburn Abbey, they were talking about Brendan, and Johnnie says “when all this (ie OES tour) is over might you be back on stage as I’ve heard you’ve thoughts of a nice gutsy RnB band as a change for the Hillbillies and you and Brendan might do something”. Mark says it won’t be for a few years but he’d like to do more with Brendan.

Can you shed any light on this? Obvs the NHB did get back together several times but no such sideline project.

Thanks Ed!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #115 on: September 10, 2024, 02:16:32 PM »
Hello Ed, I have been asked by another family member: Can you give us the names of some of the film soundtracks Mark either turned down or couldn't do because of other commitments?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #116 on: September 10, 2024, 02:50:04 PM »
Ed, the almighty.
Lord of Laughs.

Sometimes, me and my dear friend Brunno Nunes (which is a great guitar player and has a great DS Early Years cover act at his hometown ) catch us talking about DK and Hal as, and only as, guitar players.

Hal is a pro-session guitar player until nowadays. Composed a bunch of film scores and recorded a lot of albums. David, was never a pro-player (in my opinion). However, he was capable to deliver the job until the date that he leaves the band.

Thru the 2 first DS albums, DK's guitar is very, very discrete. Both albums are essencially Mark playng guitar, like 90/10 in coparison to David.

To my ears, Hal was (is) very capable to mimic Mark's playing. However, his playing turned (i don't know if was because of Alan) very modest and far from his capacities as a guitar player (Hal can play, technically, much better than what we hear on the records)

I am laughing just imagining your answers.

Funny, as I already mentioned to you, dear friend Rolo, I attribute the same phenomenon to Hal's participation in the Love Over Gold album. I have a lot of difficulty in perceiving his signature, where he is present doing some filling, something that identifies, "this is Hal Lindes.", everything seems to be MK. In Private Dancer with Tina, I simply cannot identify any signature of Hal's, the only thing I see Hal copying MK is the tone and nothing more, they had copies of Schecter guitars, the same equipment, this helped him a lot in this sense, in addition to all the guidance that MK certainly gave him. A great professional guitarist, but, for me, he does not have a signature, something that I have always valued a lot, as well as beautiful soulful solos.

In the first two albums, despite the predominance of MK's guitars (in which album does this not happen in DS or solo?) I can more easily notice DK's guitar, which despite being a band with 4 members. In my opinion, DK naturally has elements that emulate guitar sounds more clearly. MK, there is a whole context behind this, they have the same influences, they created their own dynamics between guitars and equipment over years and years (forget the differences in personalities), I'm talking about sound, identity, the rhythmic parts that DK sound very similar to MK's, live it becomes clearer to me.

In the end, it is clear to me, regarding guitar sounds in DS, DK has more identity in what he set out to do, rhythm guitar, he had more expression in this and style than Hal, none of the songs on the first two albums sound like the original quartet and it's not because the next stage went to another level of dynamics because of the keyboards, it's just that when a member leaves, the sound can change a lot, it was like that with DK in 1980, it was like that when Pick left in 1982, but it wasn't like that with the absence of Hal Lindes in 1984.

If Bruce Welch's guitar was not in The Shadows would it be the same? I don't think so. It could be Brendan Croker or Steve Philippe instead of DK, but it wouldn't be the same. There are these nuances.

Just my point of view.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 04:21:42 PM by Brunno Nunes »
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #117 on: September 10, 2024, 09:27:58 PM »
Hello Ed, I have been asked by another family member: Can you give us the names of some of the film soundtracks Mark either turned down or couldn't do because of other commitments?
could be wrong, but i believe he already did, on here....pls master Ed, correct (and punish) me if i am wrong!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #118 on: September 10, 2024, 09:29:41 PM »
Ed, the almighty.
Lord of Laughs.

- How Hal joined the band? He was indicated by someone? He played on some kind of audition? Were other players in mind or was only Hal?
He wasn't a Joe Doe either, was he?
also here, in one of his replies he mentioned how (was it our lord and saviour E.B?) Hal got into the band...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #119 on: September 10, 2024, 09:31:33 PM »
Hello Ed, my cousin Ally (not on this forum sadly) always wondered about what Mark had said at the Nelson Mandela gig about Jack. In his little speech at the Walk Of Life break Mark made it look like he suddenly and surprisingly had to find an replacement inside-left as Jack would have become daddy of two lovely babies. How much truth was in this? I wonder if Jack really would have played the Mandela gig if the babies would have been born in, let's say August.Q:  Was he ever really asked to do the gig? When was it really decided that Eric would play inside-left?

I know this touches the Jack Sonni theme again but the Nelson Mandela gig was an absolute great thing for me. I always wished this concert would have been properly and officially released as an live album (much better idea than "Live At The BBC"...)
I know Dire Straits were asked very early and were headliners together with Simple Minds. I loved that the rehearsal gigs were made available for fans, was that your idea?  Those gigs must have been pure fun. (I always wondered why Mark looked so pale, tired and old at the real event. He could have got a proper hair cut and a decent suit before. Those striped trousers! )

Thank youhuuuuuuu!

LE

jeez, feeling like the great killjoy here, but also THIS was touched by Ed (in a decent manner of course) and by Jack himself in his podcast. again, should i be wrong, someone throw the first of many stones..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.