Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD  (Read 8227 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2024, 11:23:27 AM »
Yes. Brilliant indeed. Loved it. Sounds like an idea from Ed!  :lol

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Special Q & A with Ed
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2024, 11:51:37 AM »
You already know my opinion. I think not everybody (INCLUDING ED HIMSELF ;D) is willing to take the time to register on the forum to ask a single question or post a comment or whatever, so another amendment to the rules could be possible.

I can't speak for Ed, don't want to and don't need to, but if I was him I wouldn't register for the forum - he would have private messages constantly from every crazy fan around.

Like allowing one question per person, not per member. The question is gonna be filtered anyway, it may not be answered at all.

For the avoidance of doubt, no questions have been "filtered" by Ed. Ed has answered every single question here.

I removed two questions from someone who either didn't read the rules, didn't understand them or was just plain rude. For what it's worth, I did share them with Ed who found them amusing.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2024, 11:55:37 AM »
UPDATE

Ed has kindly agreed to answer one more question from each member on behalf of their "friends" who may not be an AMIT member.

Ed doesn't care where the questions come from, just that they are sensible. And there have been some great questions so far so well done everyone.

This isn't going to be policed per se, I don't have time to check your "friends' " papers, but please just continue to be respectful. :)

And of course thanks again to Ed, this has taken a LOT of time and effort on his behalf.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2024, 12:01:06 PM »
this is not coming from us, but from Ed who awesomely agreed to do this, on his terms. so there is no use in continuing to discuss the rules.

I understand though I'm still confused. Good questions aren't exactly growing on trees and a "random" "family member" can ask something that Ed would like and could yield an amazing answer. The quantity of questions has nothing to do with their quality, that's why I had problems with these artificial obstacles from day 1.

Get as many questions as you can, pick the very best ones and answer 'em, I thought it was a simple idea but for some reason, I get bombarded with negativity all the time just because "that's the rules, man". Rules are made to be broken, and I know I'm in the minority of one as always. I apologise for being so pushy.

I know I'm the major pain in the neck here and the rules are going completely against my grain, but thanks for hearing me out.

UPD: Dusty, that's an AWESOME update from ED. Much appreciated.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2024, 12:10:29 PM »
Quizzy, we just have to have some way to keep it manageable.

Ed is kindly doing this in his own time, for entirely our benefit and none to him.

The second post we got was 10 questions. If all 40 people did that then it would be 400 questions. Impossible.

And under your plan, who decides what questions are best?

Sorry you don't think this is "perfect", but for me it's pretty fucking amazing. Life isn't perfect. Would be boring if it was. :)

OfflineMrWeng

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2024, 12:13:23 PM »
Ed - Which line-up of DS did you find the most interesting musically?

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2024, 12:25:08 PM »
Sorry I really don't understand your problem here. You write so many words and spend so much energy instead of just ask your question. It's totally clear how the rules are, stick with it or not. It's exhausting really and not attacking you.

I mean if you buy tickets for a show, you don't start to argue with the promoter why it starts at 20:00 and why the concert is on your birthday and you don't want to ask them to start at 19:30 on another day that fits better. If you don't like what Ed has set up, don't participate and please don't be angry and leave the forum (again). Just relax. That's the main key to most if your trouble it seems to me. Stay relaxed, wait 15 min before relpying and breathe! Your contributions are among the most valuable here, really, but your should take it all not too serious here. As Ed said, it's only Pop. Greetings to you dear friend and all the best to you.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2024, 12:42:41 PM »
Sorry I really don't understand your problem here. You write so many words and spend so much energy instead of just ask your question. It's totally clear how the rules are, stick with it or not. It's exhausting really and not attacking you.

I mean if you buy tickets for a show, you don't start to argue with the promoter why it starts at 20:00 and why the concert is on your birthday and you don't want to ask them to start at 19:30 on another day that fits better. If you don't like what Ed has set up, don't participate and please don't be angry and leave the forum (again). Just relax. That's the main key to most if your trouble it seems to me. Stay relaxed, wait 15 min before relpying and breathe! Your contributions are among the most valuable here, really, but your should take it all not too serious here. As Ed said, it's only Pop. Greetings to you dear friend and all the best to you.

LE
i think we're all good now. let us focus on the questions and no longer on the initial squabble. i believe Ed is having a ball. let's join!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2024, 12:46:34 PM »

LE

Dusty is doing an amazing job of keeping it manageable and enjoyable. I disagree, however, on filtering questions and their quantity over quality. A lot of questions seem to be boring or simple anyway, like all the "list-type" questions even coming from full-fledged, genuine AMIT members. It's entirely subjective and not that interesting, at least to me, so basic filtering could be implemented. You can't answer ALL the questions, right? Learn from Guy Fletcher, who ignores half of the questions on his forum.

And some questions Ed already answered in his interviews. Asking questions is an art form on its own, and we can develop an entire long set of rules just for writing questions. Instead, having more questions and a simple filter can do the trick... Again, my 5 cents. There are truly a lot of good ones, and I hope to see more with less strict rules. LE's analogy is not good because people organized shows for centuries, and Ed coming to the forum is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

I'm only trying to make it better, that's it. I also encourage people to stop fighting me, because again it's the first time a real Q&A is happening on AMIT and it baffles me that nobody seems to care about discussing it, while even Ed himself seems to agree and allows for less strict rules and longer deadlines. A forum is a place for exchanging ideas and views, I'm sorry I'm doing exactly that. And yes, I write a lot of words to explain EXACTLY what I mean.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2024, 01:00:33 PM »
Quizzy, can we keep this space for the actual questions though pls?
also, did you actually already post YOUR question? :-)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2024, 01:01:29 PM »
Yes, and the answer is there :)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2024, 01:10:49 PM »
Haha, I actually opened a new thread for discussion which Ed even promised to ignore, but it was DELETED and I was attacked beyond belief. Here's for democracy, right?

I genuinely think the problem is not with me, but the problem is with the rules and/or organisation. Look at ways to improve the product, not to attack me personally.

You can make it a questions-only thread and move the discussion somewhere else, but again my main concern is the best result and experience. And I apologised!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2024, 01:10:59 PM »
"A lot of questions seem to be boring or simple anyway, like all the "list-type" questions even coming from full-fledged, genuine AMIT members"

Anyone who asks a question, this question is important to them. Why do you think some questions are boring and uninteresting?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2024, 01:33:08 PM »
again, only ACTUAL questions here pls, open a new thread to discuss democracy at Amit, but keep this free for questions

Offlineerjan

• Guitar George
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2024, 01:38:42 PM »
I would first like to say the I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to all the interviews Ed has given. Very entertaining! As for a question I thought 'what would I ask Mark if I ever got the chance, something he never mentioned in the interviews he gave'. So here it goes: Have you ever blown up the family radio with one of your instruments?

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.