Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD  (Read 8156 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Special Q & A with Ed
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2024, 04:18:24 PM »
OMG, folks ...

Nobody screwed anything up, we're adequate human beings and resolved all our differences in DM's. And I'm sure Ed perfectly understands the situation.

By the way, don't forget to notify all your Dire Straits friends they can ask one question about the band's history and get an answer from EB.

I asked a few friends of mine and as expected, they were like "errrr, let me think about it for a few days". It's not that easy ;D
was wondering about the same thing.
people are exited to come up with "THE" question, and then there will always be that friggin language barrier
Carry on folks!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2024, 04:46:35 PM »
OMG, folks ...

Nobody screwed anything up, we're adequate human beings and resolved all our differences in DM's. And I'm sure Ed perfectly understands the situation.

By the way, don't forget to notify all your Dire Straits friends they can ask one question about the band's history and get an answer from EB.

I asked a few friends of mine and as expected, they were like "errrr, let me think about it for a few days". It's not that easy ;D
was wondering about the same thing.
people are exited to come up with "THE" question, and then there will always be that friggin language barrier
Carry on folks!

Many friends keep telling me "ask him this, ask him that" and I say to him, I made my question, go to Amit and ask yourself!

Offlinenando_5994

• Local Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2024, 05:48:04 PM »
Hi! Is it true that you and MK broke up after STP because you wanted him to play again in stadiuns and he didin`t? It´s a pity that you got to follow seperate ways. Thank`s for your atention.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2024, 09:36:43 PM »
I’m pleased to say that friend of the forum Mr Ed Bicknell has kindly agreed to take part in a Q & A for AMIT members.

This is a fantastic opportunity to ask that burning question of a man who lived the whole deal and knows where the bodies are buried (hopefully metaphorically).

THE FORMAT:

Each AMIT member has the opportunity to ask ONE question of Ed, and one question only, so think carefully about it. And it has to be just ONE question, ie “What was Billy Joel like? Did he have a wig? Was Christie Brinkley with him? Do you have her number?” will be disqualified.

Try to ask a sensible question. Ed won’t be answering personal questions. Try to ask stuff that Ed is likely to know the answer to so not super nerdy stuff like “Why was the matrix number on the Private Investigations 12” single different in Belgium and Lichtenstein?”

You have 24 hours to submit your question by posting it in this thread. Ed reserves the right to not answer any question he would prefer not to, so again, think carefully and be sensible.

So have fun everyone, be creative, and on behalf of all of us here, thanks again Ed for being such a good sport. :)

I've been at work, hope this one can squeeze in. My question would be "how many shows were recorded by the record company or instructed by the band / management between 1980 and 1989"? Thanks

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2024, 10:44:29 PM »
Hi Ed!

Thank you for giving the fans this q&a opportunity.

Now in hindsight when the complete "On the night" got released and fans all raving about it, why were so many songs cut from the original release? And did you have any thoughts about it back then?

Cheers!
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2024, 11:23:13 PM »

I shared it on my blog with a button linked to this page  :)

as many DS/MK Fans follow me, I hope some of them will post questions

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2024, 11:24:23 PM »

Many friends keep telling me "ask him this, ask him that" and I say to him, I made my question, go to Amit and ask yourself!

exactly the same happened to me

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2024, 11:26:01 PM »
Hi! Is it true that you and MK broke up after STP because you wanted him to play again in stadiuns and he didin`t? It´s a pity that you got to follow seperate ways. Thank`s for your atention.

I think Ed already answered this in his first long message provided by Julio some weeks/months ago

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2024, 11:48:18 PM »

You already know my opinion. I think not everybody (INCLUDING ED HIMSELF ;D) is willing to take the time to register on the forum to ask a single question or post a comment or whatever, so another amendment to the rules could be possible.

Like allowing one question per person, not per member. The question is gonna be filtered anyway, it may not be answered at all. Whether to ask for proof of how genuinely the question is coming from a single person — that's another thing to consider.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2024, 02:37:11 AM »
Having multiple questions because others cant be bothered to register, doesn't sound like a good idea to me and just allows for people to have a gazillion questions each "from different family members". It's weird enough already to read all the "hidden" follow up questions following the main question. One question is one question in my book. "If so, which one?" and similar counts as #2.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2024, 09:56:51 AM »

You already know my opinion. I think not everybody (INCLUDING ED HIMSELF ;D) is willing to take the time to register on the forum to ask a single question or post a comment or whatever, so another amendment to the rules could be possible.

Like allowing one question per person, not per member. The question is gonna be filtered anyway, it may not be answered at all. Whether to ask for proof of how genuinely the question is coming from a single person — that's another thing to consider.
this is not coming from us, but from Ed who awesomely agreed to do this, on his terms. so there is no use in continuing to discuss the rules.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2024, 10:20:17 AM »
Hi Ed!

Thank you for giving the fans this q&a opportunity.

Now in hindsight when the complete "On the night" got released and fans all raving about it, why were so many songs cut from the original release? And did you have any thoughts about it back then?

Cheers!

Great question!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2024, 10:28:26 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear why. The market back then was difficult for double albums, sales for them were difficult,  plus they had already done a live double album before with Alchemy. So they decided to do a single album which featured the OES content (and Paul Franklin) and cut everything long that already had been released on Alchemy. I doubt that there are other reasons

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2024, 10:42:04 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear why. The market back then was difficult for double albums, sales for them were difficult,  plus they had already done a live double album before with Alchemy. So they decided to do a single album which featured the OES content (and Paul Franklin) and cut everything long that already had been released on Alchemy. I doubt that there are other reasons

LE

exactly  :thumbsup

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2024, 11:07:23 AM »

LE

But also quite a clever solution by making the promo single an EP and adding space for it in the CD case :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.