Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Special Q & A with Ed Bicknell - QUESTION THREAD  (Read 7128 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Special Q & A with Ed
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 12:16:56 AM »
As requested by dear dustyvalentino, here's an alternative thread to this thread, where the actual discussion can take place, and not deleting posts and barking at forum members. If somebody agrees to do something, it doesn't mean we need to abandon all our senses, stop dead in our tracks and blindly follow instructions. If we do this, let's do it right, people. It's a possible Q&A with the one and only ED BICKNELL. I repeat, ED BICKNELL. This is not a drill!

First of all, my problem is the 24-hour rule. Do you want to do it properly or just fast? Then, if you want to do it properly, why not give everybody enough time to think about questions, discuss them and come up with good results? I just thought there may be a better way to gather all the questions coming from die-hard members of this forum, people with decades of experience with Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler's music, and a combined knowledge which is expressed in CENTURIES of being fans.

Another major problem. Do you want to start another Q&A thread that only the most loyal fans can find, and that will be lost under replies and new threads just like any other Ed Bicknell / Chris Whitten / Band Member commentary on this forum? Is this the end goal, or maybe there is a better way to do things? Have you ever tried to gather all posts by Ed in one place? It all genuine questions and real problems, and worth discussing. If it's not up to discussion, then I'm out.

Please, prove me wrong here: https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=8942.0

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2024, 12:22:45 AM »
Of course, discuss all you like. I’m not barking at anyone, just keeping this thread on topic and as agreed with Ed, so all questions here please. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2024, 12:33:47 AM »
I'll take a risk :)

---Ed do you remember why Dire Straits never came to Poland? The same question applies to Mark Knopfler first tour.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2024, 01:12:03 AM »
I truly thank Ed for the opportunity he is giving us, I understand the enormous importance of having a direct line to the long-time manager of my favorite artist, truly Mark Knopfler's songs and music were and are the soundtrack of my life.
Ed you've been there from the beginning, how much can you tell us about a figure like JJ Cale, how much his influence he had on the music and style of the group and the direct connections he had with you
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 01:33:01 AM by straitsway75 »

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2024, 01:27:54 AM »
Ed, I wonder who was the biggest pothead in the band in early days and if drugs ever where an serious issue in the band during the DS times?

LE
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 01:45:37 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineBrunno Nunes

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2024, 02:09:08 AM »
I would like to thank Ed for providing this special opportunity, very kind of you.

Given the importance that the Alchemy show represents for the history of Dire Straits, could you talk about how Alchemy was planned? I realized that it could have been one of the nights in Paris in June 1983, but for some reason it ended up being at the legendary Hammersmith Odeon, London, a month later.

Did the end result turn out as planned by everyone responsible for its production? I really miss the quality of this type of information that could come from someone as fundamental to the history of Dire Straits as you.  :clap :wave
Let's go down to the waterline!

my blog : https://universodirestraits.blogspot.com

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2024, 03:42:53 AM »
Ed,
It was revealed by MK that he was asked to play on Michael Jacksons Bad album but he declined. Can you tell us of any other requests from big artists that MK turned down. Thanks.

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2024, 05:53:16 AM »
Hi Ed!

Thank you so much for this opportunity,

I wanted to ask:

I recall reading/hearing an interview that you gave input into making "Your Latest Trick" the straight 8th groove that it is on the record (An incredible suggestion by the way!) and that the original was a swing feel.

I've always been curious since hearing that, Do you recall if the original was a medium or ballad type swing? Or was it a faster swing?

Thanks again,

Rick

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2024, 06:05:22 AM »
Dear Ed. Any rigging disaster that you remember from touring, and how was it solved?

Offlinezeusjazmin

• Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2024, 08:14:31 AM »
hello ed,during the nhb tours did u play all drum parts the way u specifically wanted to?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2024, 08:59:24 AM »
when were you most starstruck and why (during your time with the band and Mark, NOT afterwards)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2024, 09:46:00 AM »
There were lots of special guests during the DS years, particularly the BiA tour, but were there any notable guests planned that fell through for any reason, scheduling or whatever?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2024, 09:50:36 AM »
What did you think of Mark's version of Private Dancer?

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2024, 12:02:25 PM »
What era (either DS / solo ) would you say is peak MK in terms guitar playing ?

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2024, 12:03:56 PM »
Hi Ed
Do you know if there were ever any talks or collaboration ideas between Mr. Knopfler and George Michael ?
Cheers Peter

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 34 queries.