Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Love Over Gold - Drums & Guitar Parts...  (Read 603 times)

Offlinemariosboss

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Love Over Gold - Drums & Guitar Parts...
« on: September 02, 2024, 03:01:29 AM »
Greetings,
I used to listen to this album religiously from the age of 4... loved every track off the album. Used to listen to it via my dad's technic's system... he had a japanese vinyl version of the album as well as a tape version... I know I don't often post on these forums, but i'd like to think I know pretty much every sound from that album.
I only recently learnt from a Pick video that a lot of the drum parts weren't organic as such... of course as soon as I suggested this on the forums a few years back
everyone went mad...really mad... so i'm still confused if the drum parts were overdubbed by Pick (Industrial bands like Filter and NIN do it over programmed drums...) or the drums were purely live from Pick and he was working with a click which may have annoyed him, or just like a lot of 80's albums they were fully programmed... or perhaps a mixture of both... that's my thinking... the latter. Love Over Gold for example sounds like Pick... but Industrial Disease and parts of Telegraph Road sound processed and programmed....

Second point - who played which guitar parts? Hal Lindes is a genius guitar player... he's gone onto write famous theme tunes galore... not sure if he was underused in Dire Straits like Jack Sonni (RIP) these two guys don't really get much exposure on these forums.... it's all about Mark, Guy and Mark's solo band. So I appreciate there are some experts out there, so who played what on the Love Over Gold Album? The Wah Wah parts on Industrial Disease? What about Telegraph Road? Private Investigations... who was the distorted guitar player? It Never Rains... a track miles better than any of Knopfler's solo stuff... sensational... but who played what? I have my thoughts and ideas.... just wanted to see if they match up with you experts. Love Over Gold... probably the finest work by Knopfler and the best version of Dire Straits...

Thanks.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Love Over Gold - Drums & Guitar Parts...
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2024, 08:25:29 AM »
Re the drums, Ed Bicknell confirmed it here:

https://www.amarkintime.org/forum/index.php?topic=8485.msg177409#msg177409

It’s all real drums by Pick except a drum machine on the Dr Parkinson bit of Industrial Disease.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2024, 09:03:35 AM »
That's the difference between The Beatles and Dire Straits right there. For The Beatles, we know the colour of socks the studio janitor wore on this day of this take of this song recorded in Abbey Road Studios, for Dire Straits all we know is — it was recorded. No notes, no outtakes, no demos, no photos (barely), and few not very insightful interviews.

I never dug deep into these things, it sounds to me though like the majority of guitars are coming from MK. For some reason, for some albums, he uses a second guitar player, for some, he records all guitars by himself. The latter happens, I think when you've got more complex songs, and since Love Over Gold contains Mark's most complex songs, I would imagine him recording everything.

To quote ever-present Ed Bicknell: I’ll never forget what he [Ramon Lopez] said to me… He said, “Ed, this is not pop music. This is classical music”. Better words were never spoken about this album. And so I treat it like classical music — just appreciating the beauty, not willing to know the exact process of how it was made, which was probably intentional in the first place.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 01:10:06 PM »
as for guitar parts, I tried to sum up it here :

https://www.mk-guitar.com/gear-on-all-songs-for-all-albums-wiki/gear-on-album-love-over-gold/

it's based on listening, ears, interviews, video-clips, tours, etc... and  of course a lot of speculations

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 01:54:41 PM »
To my ears...

Hal CAN mimic MK very well.
This is one of the reasons that we think that MK recorded almost everything on LOG (album).
Yes, i think that MK recorded the majority of the guitars. However, its more like a 65/35 than the 90/10 that we think.

I remember on a "recent" interview by Hal and he said the goal was to blend the guitar tones with MK. They are looking for the "holy grail" of the clean tones.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2024, 02:34:01 PM »
To my ears...

This is one of the reasons that we think that MK recorded almost everything on LOG (album).
Yes, i think that MK recorded the majority of the guitars. However, its more like a 65/35 than the 90/10 that we think.

I remember on a "recent" interview by Hal and he said the goal was to blend the guitar tones with MK. They are looking for the "holy grail" of the clean tones.

yes I agree
and if you listen to uncut TR version, you can clearly haar at the end a guitar that is played by Hal, because it sounds so non-MK

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2024, 02:47:01 PM »
To my ears...

yes I agree
and if you listen to uncut TR version, you can clearly haar at the end a guitar that is played by Hal, because it sounds so non-MK

The question is though, why do you need to match the tone in the studio when it's easier to track one part after another? Or there is a slight chance that there is at least some live playing on Love Over Gold? To me, it sounds as far from live takes as possible. On solo albums, if Mark used a second player, it's usually for live recording takes without overdubs. Otherwise, he can easily record it himself and it will sound better.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2024, 02:48:08 PM »

I think that Hal was messing around and doing sound-check. That guitar cut leaked at the end part of the mix (the original have the fade-out, so they didn't care about Hal's licks)

That is my opinion, of course.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2024, 02:56:51 PM »
The question is though, why do you need to match the tone in the studio when it's easier to track one part after another? Or there is a slight chance that there is at least some live playing on Love Over Gold? To me, it sounds as far from live takes as possible. On solo albums, if Mark used a second player, it's usually for live recording takes without overdubs. Otherwise, he can easily record it himself and it will sound better.

Tough question indeed.
It is well known that MK like to put his solos after the song is already done. I agree that the album was not played live, however, there are parts that i really think that are, yes, played live by 2 or 3 members. Like Mark and Hal playing layers together with John, wicht creates the "glue" for the song.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2024, 03:24:24 PM »
what I always found strange is that Mark "needs" a second guitar player to put his dinstinctire rhtyhm style on record.

on two first albums, David play some barely audible bits while Mark plays some fabulous rhythm parts (settting me up, Lions, in the gallery, southbound again, once upon a time, news, angel of mercy etc..)

same thing on LOG (with Hal), OES (with Phil) and solo albums (with Richard) or NHB (with Brendan and Steve)

BUT, on albums where he plays "alone", you can barely hear these special rhythm thing : BIA, KTGC or Tracker...

the only exception being MM (especially on skateaway)

So, when Mark plays all guitars in studio, he doesn't play his distinctire rhythm style, but when there's is another guitar payer, then he does  :lol

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2024, 04:44:50 PM »
So, when Mark plays all guitars in studio, he doesn't play his distinctire rhythm style, but when there's is another guitar payer, then he does  :lol

HAHAHA! Good one  ;D

Except for David's playing on Once Upon A Time.
That rhythm is pure David.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2024, 09:55:30 PM »

Except for David's playing on Once Upon A Time.
That rhythm is pure David.

there are two rhythm parts on this tune : the one with phaser is David, but the other one is Mark

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.