Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: CAL soundtrack 40 years ago  (Read 1966 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: CAL soundtrack 40 years ago
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2024, 02:45:25 PM »
you're kidding about MFN lyrics, right ?  ;) :lol

MK wrote the lines taken from the Electro shop on the same napkin that he designed the Pensa Suhr  ;D

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2024, 03:12:48 PM »
Yep, and on the same napkin, if you turn it around, you will find the lyrics for Sultans, written in that Deptford pub by none other than Paul McCartney, who didn't want his name to appear on the record, because the song had too many words.  :lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2024, 03:26:14 PM »
Yep, and on the same napkin, if you turn it around, you will find the lyrics for Sultans, written in that Deptford pub by none other than Paul McCartney, who didn't want his name to appear on the record, because the song had too many words.  :lol

Years later this napkin was discovered by paleontologists who were digging for dinosaurs and "Cannibals" was born.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2024, 08:05:41 AM »
A further update from Ed:

I GIVE UP!!!!

Yes JF I was joking about the MFN lyrics but not about Guy and the synclavier, or was I?
Apply what you know about your hero and solve that puzzle.
Time allowed 48 hours.
Prize ATMOS Instruction booklet.

Pavel..wise words but as you can see….. I love the comments on the napkin which wasn’t a napkin ( counter receipt pad ).

I will tell you this for your gold collection ….
on the first American tour the question MK was MOST ASKED by journalists ( by far) was “ who is Guitar George?”
And he would always respond “ He’s a coal-miner from Leeds”.
One day I said to him,
"GG isn’t a bloody coal-miner from Leeds, what are you going on about ? ”
Big smile
“ No, George rhymes with chords but that’s too simple for them”.
Just like “dark “ and “park” or “ we got chicken in the barn, what barn, who’s barn, my barn”.
( Wow this is good shit).
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2024, 09:32:08 AM »
Well, here we go, another brilliant comment from Ed. The fact he's been so active these days is certainly the best thing that happened to the MK/DS community in years. His comments on AMIT posts and corrections made on oneverybootleg website are priceless and he knows it. And Chris too!

Your story about Guitar George reminds me of Chet Atkins and his teeth and how one of his favourite lines was "fooled them again", which I heard both from MK and Chet. Another golden line. Because the truth is often ugly, and because the artist has no obligation to be 100% honest, and because it's the entertainment business, little white lies from my favourite artists will always take precedence over boring, mundane and sometimes obvious, although correct information.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2024, 12:44:56 PM »

I GIVE UP!!!!

Yes JF I was joking about the MFN lyrics but not about Guy and the synclavier, or was I?
Time allowed 48 hours.

HAHA, This is hilarious.
Thank you, Ed.

...Because the truth is often ugly, and because the artist has no obligation to be 100% honest, and because it's the entertainment business, little white lies from my favourite artists will always take precedence over boring, mundane and sometimes obvious, although correct information.

Yep! The truth won't sell.
A good story perpetuates. And generates "fuel" for the product.

John Suhr came to this forum and told us the true story about the Pensa Suhr. Wicht was very simple. But Rudy is a business man and great storyteller.

Once i heard an interview with John Scofield and he said things like: "- Anyone can be great at the guitar, but people prefer to hear that, being good t it is a god's gift. They ask me: What do you thinked when you played that line? Well, i was thinking in harmony and arpeggios, but they prefer to believe that an angel played it for me."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2024, 01:15:15 PM »

I GIVE UP!!!!

Time allowed 48 hours.

Pavel..wise words but as you can see….. I love the comments on the napkin which wasn’t a napkin ( counter receipt pad ).

I will tell you this for your gold collection ….
on the first American tour the question MK was MOST ASKED by journalists ( by far) was “ who is Guitar George?”
And he would always respond “ He’s a coal-miner from Leeds”.
One day I said to him,
"GG isn’t a bloody coal-miner from Leeds, what are you going on about ? ”
Big smile
“ No, George rhymes with chords but that’s too simple for them”.
Just like “dark “ and “park” or “ we got chicken in the barn, what barn, who’s barn, my barn”.
( Wow this is good shit).

a big big thank you Ed for your comments, your sense of humor, and your informations that give the graal to us  :thumbsup :wave

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2024, 01:35:03 PM »
I'm glad too and thank you Ed for your memories and stories. :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2024, 04:29:19 PM »
Hello Ed

I'm happy to know I was right about Alan and Hal not being in Cal or Comfort and Joy because they were with Tina Turner, one can't never be sure of what one believes to be true!

Also interesting how Guy get the job, Ed, if you're reading this, is it true that Guy was offered the LOG tour, that resulted in Alchemy record, but refused because he was committed with Roxy Music? And how Tommy Mandel, an American musician, got that job?

Thanks for keeping sending your comments, I only wish we could have a dedicated thread with all the info gathered by themes, lol.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2024, 07:47:15 PM »
A further reply from Ed, and might I say, it’s a classic of the genre :)

Wire Crates fans…..bringing joy , laughter and facts here is the AMIT policeman again👮‍♂️.

Ages ago I said I wouldn’t get into correspondence but I must tell you folks that not only are you a very appreciative audience, this is fun for me, rather like a colonic can be fun.👩‍🦯
It's such a long time ago I find myself treating it like an exam paper ie what and how much can I remember and will I pass the AMIT examination board.
Or should that be bored…? 

Let's pick up with P34 from Deliciously Quizzy.

Yep. Priceless.
As in £9.99.
All night.

“ Fooled them again, Josey”. The Outlaw Josey Wales one of the great westerns.

You are correct.
Most artists get asked the same questions over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and …...eventually start embellishing the answers, then exaggerating, then making them up, then taking the piss just to see if the interviewer is even listening and suddenly the piss take BECOMES the answer, hence GG being a coalminer ( he was actually a failed condom tester who ran around the factory in Leeds with a pin ).

P35 from Roll Me Over and Tickle My Willy….ancient blues song by Blind Peg Leg Loser.
I agree about Rudy.
That's a great John Schofield tale. Completely get it. Great player. Good to see you listen to guitarists other than MK, EC, JH, JP ,Terry Kilburn and my all time least favourite DK ( who is he I hear an echo? )

And the “deeper” the lyric the more people seek hidden meanings where there are none, just the bars of a rhyme .

Terence Trent D’Arby came to see me for management once and told me his next album had been written by Marvin Gaye who was dead and transmitted to him by ESP. SERIOUSLY.

I passed. He changed his name to Bhagwan Arse Trumpet  and disappeared. Sad. Great talent that got completely overwhelmed by …you know…fame and celebrity, money and people taking it off him. .

P38.
No. I’m not reading this.
I’m Terence Trent D’Arby.

I probably shouldn’t say this but Tina’s manager Roger Davies called me somewhere on that tour and said Tina wanted to know if I would mind if she fired Hal. ( Tina and I first met in 1974…….a real lady I miss greatly.)
I told him it was her band, I didn't manage him ( he was an independent sideman) and to go ahead, didn't matter to me. .
Which she did.
I can't tell you why but I came perilously close to firing him twice for similar reasons.
Let's just say it all went to his head a bit.
John Illsley’s wonderfully accurate almost scientific book will give you a partial clue.
I imagine he’s sorted himself out by now.

By the way , MK’s soundtracks were not and were never intended to be DS records so including all of whatever the DS lineup was at the time would really have blurred that line.

Guy. Hmmmmm…..
Do you know I can't remember.
As I said his inclusion came about because I was seeing his manager romantically ( “slightly to right ought to …..aaaaaaaaaah , YES “ ) and I don't think that was as early as LOG.
No. Def not. So he didn't refuse, he wasn’t asked , I/we didn't know about him yet ( "YES, don't stop, just do that thing with the rubber band again ….thwack, boing bish” )

Tommy was recommended to MK by Neil Dorfsman and Bob Clearmountain and was a delight to work with. Happy. Bonkers. Creative. Lovely man, no “side “ to him at all  , been with Bryan Adams for years.
Who’s a great photographer ….seriously good.

If you want some thread get a sewing machine.

Have twangy guitar, will travel.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2024, 09:11:06 PM »
Quote from: EddieVanEd
I probably shouldn’t say this but Tina’s manager Roger Davies called me somewhere on that tour and said Tina wanted to know if I would mind if she fired Hal. ( Tina and I first met in 1974…….a real lady I miss greatly.)
I told him it was her band, I didn't manage him ( he was an independent sideman) and to go ahead, didn't matter to me. .
Which she did.
I can't tell you why but I came perilously close to firing him twice for similar reasons.
Let's just say it all went to his head a bit.
John Illsley’s wonderfully accurate almost scientific book will give you a partial clue.
I imagine he’s sorted himself out by now.

AHHAHAHAA!
I cracked on this one.
Too many informations with such sweetness.
This is not Ed, it's an impostor for sure. I miss a bit o vinager thru his sentences.

HAHAHAHA.
Thank You, Ed.
You are THE BEST!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 38 queries.