Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: CAL soundtrack 40 years ago  (Read 1965 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: CAL soundtrack 40 years ago
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2024, 06:33:23 PM »
And on the earlier album "Comfort And Joy" there's also Guy Fletcher. Not Alan Clark.

yes indeed

recorded in march, so after the recording of CAL soundtrack, but released on 27th july, so before the Cal soundtrack...

I didn't found the release date for Cal "album", but I assume it was after the film was released in theaters...

Onlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2024, 07:13:21 PM »
There is a question about the Cal soundtrack that I don't have the answer
Maybe some of you know... or Ed, if you read us...  ;)

why Alan Clark isn't on the record ? (Terry and John are)
wasn't he available at the time of recording (february-march 84) ?
was it the reason why managers/producers introduce Guy to Mark ?
or is it a coincidence ?

it would be a question for our dear Ed  ;)

It is known that Alan and Hal did a small tour with Tina Turner, she was opening form someone else I can't remember, maybe it coincided with that?

I didn't know that, thanks fro the info  :thumbsup

https://www.the-world-of-tina.com/world-1984---tour.html

-July 18 - September 3: Headlining all over the U.S. and Canada (40 concerts)
-September 20 - October 20: Major television in Europe and England
-November 15 - December 13: Australian concert tour, appearing in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and the Gold Coast (36 concerts)
-December 15 - December 25: South East Asian concert tour, appearing in Hong Kong, Bangkok, Manila and Japan
« Last Edit: August 25, 2024, 07:16:38 PM by wayaman »

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2024, 07:47:24 PM »
And on the earlier album "Comfort And Joy" there's also Guy Fletcher. Not Alan Clark.

yes indeed

recorded in march, so after the recording of CAL soundtrack, but released on 27th july, so before the Cal soundtrack...

I didn't found the release date for Cal "album", but I assume it was after the film was released in theaters...

Wikipedia says Cal was released on August 24th 1984.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2024, 09:25:43 PM »
Hey, the Amiters version!! Wonderful effort!!  :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I remember when Cal was released, I was in bed with the flu, but had the news that Confort and Joy was released. So I begged my daddy to go buy it, but in the music shop in Rome they never heard of any Confort and any Joy. At the same time, thanks God, they suggested my daddy to buy Cal, which I never heard about.
What an incredible surprise, that day (hey, I still remember after 40 years, it must be something   ;) ;) 

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2024, 12:03:20 AM »
I’d like to see the film again. I last saw it about 30 years ago.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2024, 11:43:19 AM »

yes indeed

Wikipedia says Cal was released on August 24th 1984.

LE

yes the movie  :)
that's why I pusblished my chronicle on saturday  ;)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2024, 12:08:37 PM »
Well, the Wikipedia entry is explicitly about the album and says release date of the album.

LE

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2024, 04:37:28 PM »
In my archives  ;) the album release date is: September 21. But that's not important  :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2024, 05:06:10 PM »
Well, the Wikipedia entry is explicitly about the album and says release date of the album.

LE

Yes but I think it's just a copy/paste from the Wikipedia entry about the movie :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_(1984_film)

I find strange if the soundtrack would have been released the same day the movie was in theaters only in US, and before the european theatres release
Just my speculation of course  :)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2024, 05:11:10 PM »
Yes. On Every Bootleg also says Sept 21st so I believe that it's true. I just saw the date in Wikipedia and thought that it might be correct.

LE

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2024, 10:06:36 AM »
Did anyone notice that the version of "The long road" that can be listened at the ending credits is DIFFERENT than the one in the record?

yes it's often the case in film music. And it makes me angry all the time that we can't have on the record what we hear in a film.

when I was a teen, I recorded tons of films musics directly on TV during the movies (recorded on VHS). And when years later I bought several soundtracks I was upset to not hear excactly the same music.
But sometimes remasters editions ith bonus tracks gave me the graal (e.g. once upon a time in the west, once upon a time in America...)

Although I have not watched it for a while, in the film of Metroland there is a beautiful and short acoustic fingerpicked piece that is not on the soundtrack.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2024, 11:32:51 AM »
Did anyone notice that the version of "The long road" that can be listened at the ending credits is DIFFERENT than the one in the record?

yes it's often the case in film music. And it makes me angry all the time that we can't have on the record what we hear in a film.

when I was a teen, I recorded tons of films musics directly on TV during the movies (recorded on VHS). And when years later I bought several soundtracks I was upset to not hear excactly the same music.
But sometimes remasters editions ith bonus tracks gave me the graal (e.g. once upon a time in the west, once upon a time in America...)

Although I have not watched it for a while, in the film of Metroland there is a beautiful and short acoustic fingerpicked piece that is not on the soundtrack.

yes indeed.
I think it's in the audio clip in my article :

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/la-b-o-du-film-metroland-par-mark-knopfler-a-25-ans/

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2024, 03:02:00 AM »
Friend of the forum Ed Bicknell asked me to post this to the thread on his behalf:

Hi there pop pickers,
It’s CAL anniversary time.
A few fact checks as requested, by numbered responses ( and from memory).

P2. Absolutely classic re the 45rpm. ..the first time an AMIT post has made me rush to the toilet and pass gas.
An aside…many ( many ) years ago the then presenter of the Old Grey Whistle Test (UK music TV show), one Richard Williams, REVIEWED the drone on the BLANK side of a Lou Reed vinyl test pressing in the Melody Maker music rag and never lived it down ( mind you I can understand why).

P4. That would have been the film editor filling an empty space on the credits roll.

P5. Correct. What is used on film is RARELY what appears on the soundtrack album, Vangelis’ brilliant score for the first Blade Runner is a classic example.
You’ve mentioned 2 others.
That’s to do with test marketing and re-editing of pictures.

P8/9/13 Alan and Hal were “moonlighting” with Tina who was opening act on a Lionel Richie tour ( of US I think) and from memory that overlapped with the Cal recording and C and J.
BUT you could flip that round and ask WHY AC would have been on it even if he had been available?
He is a piano/organ player and doesn’t know any Celtic jigs so might not have fitted the musical bill in any event.

In 1983-4 I was dating the delightful Anne Marie Mackay who was managing Guy who I seem to  recall was tinkling the synthesised ivories with Roxy Music at the time. 
One evening as we enjoyed a Wimpy burger and fried egg she mentioned him to me. Coincidentally MK had been musing about where we might find someone who might know how to plug his Synclavier in since he couldn’t follow the instruction booklet.
BE BOP A LULA. 
Incidentally we had stopped using third party producers by then., Making Movies was the last time. 

Since Guy was really inexpensive it was logical that he’d join DS and thence to a lifetime of helping MK with instruction booklets eg How to Install a Microwave Oven …which is the real source of the MFN lyric, not all that rubbish about going to a NY electrical store and seeing Motley Crue on 50 TV sets.

Anne Marie went on to run a VERY successful LA Video and Film production company ( they made “So Far Away” for instance…Propaganda  I think they were called. ).

P16. Back then albums were generally released Worldwide simultaneously.
Movies NEVER are.
In fact I don't think Comfort and Joy was released ANYWHERE other than the UK, which is why no one had heard of it in Rome.

I would usually schedule the soundtrack release to coincide with the FIRST territory that released the film which in the case of Cal was the UK.

WHAT have I told you about believing Wiki entries?

I doubt very much that a movie or that ST would have come out in mid August anywhere let alone UK and neither the film or the ST were ever commercially released in North America despite that Wiki entry.
I don't think it came out ANYWHERE other than UK and maybe Eire.
So September is much more likely.
The movie completely bombed and was one of the factors in the production company Goldcrest going bust ( not the only reason).

But we did get to meet and know Helen Mirren so it was all more than worthwhile and MK came up with some nice tunes which 40 years on are still giving pleasure, which is more than will be said about Oh Ay Sis 4 decades from now 🥁
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2024, 01:42:33 PM »
thanks very much Ed ! :wave

you're kidding about MFN lyrics, right ?  ;) :lol

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2024, 02:44:57 PM »
thanks very much Ed ! :wave

you're kidding about MFN lyrics, right ?  ;) :lol

I haven't seen pictures or interviews of "the meathead" from Money For Nothing or the instruction booklet, so both versions are equally likely.

If this version is correct, it all can be explained. Mark knew he was going to be asked about the origin of this song A LOT (which is true even to this day), and knowing he's not a fan of giving away the exact inspiration behind his songs, he came up with a beautiful story, which must be based on real experience because you can hardly imagine Mark straight up lying for 40 years, it doesn't make any sense. And you don't need me to know that you can often find stupidly simple explanations behind the greatest of things IF the author is willing to share them.

So as it always happens, the truth must be somewhere in between. The same applies to Sultans.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 38 queries.