Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's "voice" during Lady writer solo  (Read 766 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Mark's "voice" during Lady writer solo
« on: August 23, 2024, 07:04:55 PM »
recently I discovered several DS guitar isolated tracks ont this YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/@all_things_mark_knopfler

maybe it's someone on the forum ?  :wave

on the Lady writer solo, there's is a sound at 1:50
I always thought it was Mark's voice shouting something like "hey" or "uh"...

but it's here on the "guitar track".. so could it be a guitar sound ?  :think

what do you think ?

https://youtu.be/LYAmJSRzs58?t=99

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Re: Mark's "voice" during Lady writer solo
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2024, 07:32:14 PM »
Very interesting! Until one minute ago I had no doubt that it would be "hey" or more of an "oy", but now I have no idea anymore !  :lol

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2024, 08:21:58 PM »
A few observations...

You can hear Mark (most likely, who else could it be?) making various sounds with his voice during this solo on the full recording, including some obvious gibberish just 6 seconds after "hey", so this "hey" could easily be there, it sounds right and in place, and also cool 8)

It sounds to me not like a genuine original stem from the record, but more like another AI separation software at work, judging by heavy compression at times. In this case, it's not perfect and some leakage is possible from other tracks, if AI thinks it sounds like an instrument. AI is very bad at detecting/removing weird artefacts.

Just before this "hey" you can hear another sound effect which sounds quite similar. The electric guitar can produce unbelievably strange sounds and effects, especially when bends and slides are present, especially when played by a genius. I remember stumbling upon such sounds many times during my years of studying Mark's work, but I was never able to replicate those, it's the function of being at the right place and at the right time.

So my verdict would be, that "hey" is a combination of voice + sliding effect and is real.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2024, 09:42:19 PM »
A few observations...

You can hear Mark (most likely, who else could it be?) making various sounds with his voice during this solo on the full recording, including some obvious gibberish just 6 seconds after "hey", so this "hey" could easily be there, it sounds right and in place, and also cool 8)

It sounds to me not like a genuine original stem from the record, but more like another AI separation software at work, judging by heavy compression at times. In this case, it's not perfect and some leakage is possible from other tracks, if AI thinks it sounds like an instrument. AI is very bad at detecting/removing weird artefacts.

Just before this "hey" you can hear another sound effect which sounds quite similar. The electric guitar can produce unbelievably strange sounds and effects, especially when bends and slides are present, especially when played by a genius. I remember stumbling upon such sounds many times during my years of studying Mark's work, but I was never able to replicate those, it's the function of being at the right place and at the right time.

So my verdict would be, that "hey" is a combination of voice + sliding effect and is real.

Thanks Pavel
Yes I thought the same about AI, but I found strange that there is no other voice sound on this isolated track, that why I had doubt about this particular sound

anyway, on the complete recording, it always sounded like Mark's voice to me

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2024, 11:13:24 PM »
I am increasingly concerned about the exploitation of Al in music.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2024, 09:42:58 AM »
We all should, and not only in music.

LE
« Last Edit: August 24, 2024, 11:00:56 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2024, 07:57:06 PM »
I am increasingly concerned about the exploitation of Al in music.
I see no problem.

We all should, and not only in music.

LE
I cannot see any Skynet taking down us all.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2024, 09:06:36 PM »
I thought about authenticity and certainty that a human will always be responsible for music. But I don't have this certainty anymore.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2024, 12:07:08 AM »
I thought about authenticity and certainty that a human will always be responsible for music. But I don't have this certainty anymore.

Don't worry, to be good at art AI needs to become human, and it won't happen soon. It's not capable of an original thought, or else we would become AI's pets.

I'm yet to hear a good example of using artificial intelligence in music, or AI in general. "The Last Song by The Beatles" and the Get Back documentary used AI pretty heavily for voice separation and upscaling, and I'm not a fan of both... The video is overly sharpened and upscaled, I can't look at it, it's too artificial-looking.

But the new 2023 The Beatles remasters are actually good, I recommend everybody to check it out, early songs sound fantastic—all thanks to AI separation magic. Also instrument separation like this "Lady Writer" is interesting to listen to maybe once, though still not as perfect and sought-after as the original stems.

And great combining old and new, duets with dead musicians and other things existed long before it became mainstream:

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 38 queries.