Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rough and Rowdy Ways  (Read 6689 times)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Re: Rough and Rowdy Ways
« Reply #165 on: September 16, 2024, 07:10:47 AM »
David who?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #166 on: September 16, 2024, 09:34:43 AM »
Mmm, I think Dylan is still pretty sharp.

I read online that John Mellencamp played All Along the Watchtower the other night on the same bill as Dylan, so Dylan played it as well for the first time in 6 years when he came onstage, ha.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #167 on: September 16, 2024, 01:00:25 PM »
That's the difference between the Knopfler brothers right there. Can you imagine a post like this from MK? I can't.

But at the same time, I get his point. Life doesn't end with retirement, no need to sing and dance till you're 100.

I have much more respect towards artists who switched to a different source of joy, inspiration and/or income.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #168 on: September 16, 2024, 05:37:07 PM »
I thought maybe not everyone has fb and in the context of Bob Dylan's album, David Knopfler's words would be interesting.

DK:

I think it has to be said. I have most, if not all, of Bob Dylan’s official studio albums. The last track I really thought was up to his best was a track called “Mississippi” - great song - great production- great delivery - and that was released over two decades ago in 2003.
Since then his touring voice has gone from bad to worse and his writing isn’t really what it was either. I simply can’t watch any more YouTube clips of him murdering his own material. He’s not reinventing - he’s failing to remember.
Dylan isn’t alone in this journey and it’s entirely up to him anyway I suppose and of course the fans will likely show up regardless. I concede it’s a good thing that old musicians feel able and willing to still tread the boards past their prime, but doesn’t there ever come a point where retirement might be the kinder option for all concerned? I don’t know - I’m asking. Where is the cut off point when the demand will continue regardless of the quality of their output while the artist still breathes

guess he was bitter not being asked to play or produce on his albums? lol
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #169 on: September 16, 2024, 11:02:36 PM »
I thought maybe not everyone has fb and in the context of Bob Dylan's album, David Knopfler's words would be interesting.

DK:

I think it has to be said. I have most, if not all, of Bob Dylan’s official studio albums. The last track I really thought was up to his best was a track called “Mississippi” - great song - great production- great delivery - and that was released over two decades ago in 2003.
Since then his touring voice has gone from bad to worse and his writing isn’t really what it was either. I simply can’t watch any more YouTube clips of him murdering his own material. He’s not reinventing - he’s failing to remember.
Dylan isn’t alone in this journey and it’s entirely up to him anyway I suppose and of course the fans will likely show up regardless. I concede it’s a good thing that old musicians feel able and willing to still tread the boards past their prime, but doesn’t there ever come a point where retirement might be the kinder option for all concerned? I don’t know - I’m asking. Where is the cut off point when the demand will continue regardless of the quality of their output while the artist still breathes

I don't think so. Has DK produced any albums, apart from his own?
I don't always agree with DK's views, but I think "murdering his material" just about sums it up, and Dylan's been at it for more than 30 years. It's only the live performances, though, not the studio recordings, and not his writing, imho.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2024, 09:51:11 AM »

DK:

I don't think so. Has DK produced any albums, apart from his own?
I don't always agree with DK's views, but I think "murdering his material" just about sums it up, and Dylan's been at it for more than 30 years. It's only the live performances, though, not the studio recordings, and not his writing, imho.
cannot fully agree here. i have seen a few dylan shows, and am well aware about his live ups and downs, but i have indeed also experienced many live highs and not only bizarre lows.
do not forget, the man has toured like there is no tomorrow for 37yrs in a row now (only paused during covid and when he had that life-threatening heart infection in, i believe 97)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2024, 11:43:56 AM »
It's Dylan's material... surely he can do what he wants with it?

People are still turning up, and he's been doing the same thing for 30+ years so it's not like anyone is going to be surprised.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.