Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Rough and Rowdy Ways  (Read 6695 times)

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
Re: Rough and Rowdy Ways
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2024, 10:23:55 PM »

Dire Straits are my favourite band but I would never try to argue that they were the greatest band ever.

You're probably in for trouble for saying this here!  :lol
But I think I know what you mean. There are (few) "greater" bands, and they lasted longer, too.
But DS (live) around the time of Alchemy/BIA, with MK in wizard mode, was probably the hottest thing on the planet because they were so different, so tight, so full of energy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2024, 10:41:03 PM »
In the 80s, it was often said that Dire Straits was the biggest band in the world. I know, it's a journalistic slogan. But I buy it and I always liked these words. :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2024, 11:11:57 PM »
I was around in the 80s. DS were the biggest band in 85.

But even then they weren’t as big as solo acts like Michael Jackson, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2024, 11:14:52 PM »
I was around in the 80s. DS were the biggest band in 85.

But even then they weren’t as big as solo acts like Michael Jackson, Madonna and Bruce Springsteen.

Yes, I was thinking about 1985:)
Clear as the day

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2024, 11:22:07 PM »
In the 80s, it was often said that Dire Straits was the biggest band in the world. I know, it's a journalistic slogan. But I buy it and I always liked these words. :)

Agree.
But honestly I can't think of many 80s _bands_ that were in the same league. There were a few superstars, Prince, Madonna, Jackson etc. And then there there were the great bands from the 70s that were still around, but some had split or reformed or whatever. In terms of bands, I think it was mainly Genesis (without Peter Gabriel), Pink Floyd (without Roger Waters) and the Police (split), at that level of success.
DS kept going, they appealed to a wider "pop" audience and to the music enthusiasts and guitar nerds, people of any age and class.
I read somewhere that almost every British household had a copy of BIA at the time. Quite a phenomenon, considering that MK never wanted to be a rock star.   :lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2024, 11:31:40 PM »

Agree.
But honestly I can't think of many 80s _bands_ that were in the same league. There were a few superstars, Prince, Madonna, Jackson etc. And then there there were the great bands from the 70s that were still around, but some had split or reformed or whatever. In terms of bands, I think it was mainly Genesis (without Peter Gabriel), Pink Floyd (without Roger Waters) and the Police (split), at that level of success.
DS kept going, they appealed to a wider "pop" audience and to the music enthusiasts and guitar nerds, people of any age and class.
I read somewhere that almost every British household had a copy of BIA at the time. Quite a phenomenon, considering that MK never wanted to be a rock star.   :lol

I know Dusty Springfield will hate me for saying this, but if you crank numbers DS was not the biggest band in the world at any point in time, it wasn't even the biggest band in the UK ;D

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2024, 11:44:59 PM »
Sure, there were a lot of acts that were selling a lot more records/tickets!
But financial success alone doesn't make for a "great" band.
Some bands even got too commercial, like Genesis, which made some critics say that they weren't as good as the "old" Genesis. I think that's nonsense, because they were just different.
Sometimes I wish I could go back to the eighties, just because of the music! But then I remember re-winding the tape on my walkman, dealing with recalcitrant VHS tapes and fax machines, seeing neon-coloured clothes and smelling hairspray all over the place...  :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2024, 12:31:51 AM »

Agree.

I know Dusty Springfield will hate me for saying this, but if you crank numbers DS was not the biggest band in the world at any point in time, it wasn't even the biggest band in the UK ;D

With respect, I was there, BiA was EVERYWHERE.

But please, crank the numbers and tell me which band was bigger than DS in 1985.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2024, 12:50:37 AM »
"seeing neon-coloured clothes"

But Money For Nothing video was and is fantastic :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2024, 12:52:55 AM »

Agree.

But please, crank the numbers and tell me which band was bigger than DS in 1985.

None. Everyone wanted to see them.
Clear as the day

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2024, 02:03:39 AM »

Agree.

None. Everyone wanted to see them.

Haha! Well, I guess I'm just terribly inclined to diminish everybody's success, whether mine (especially) or someone else's. If you say so, then that's true!

I can imagine Brothers In Arms coming "from every iron" as we say in Russia, though Mark always says they simply got lucky with being at the right place at the right time, the boom of CD, the boom of MTV, technology, having great punchy singles, all that. I think it's at least partly true and they really got lucky there.

Sure the songs were strong and iconic, but again I don't think it's as ubiquitous as many of the bands mentioned here. And speaking of punchy singles, most fans of "Money For Nothing" I encountered in my life listen to the drums intro, then the guitar riff and turn off the song.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2024, 03:17:29 AM »
There are different measures of success. The basic question is: what is success? It's certainly a complex and long topic, but I think history has shown that in the mid-80s,  Dire Straits band was big and very successful. It's a fact. There is no dispute between enthusiasts and critics of Dire Straits here.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 03:21:29 AM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2024, 08:22:39 AM »
There the original topic goes...

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2024, 08:28:00 AM »
By the mid 80's Dire Straits were HUGE which is amazing because they started as a pub rock band, playing to a handful of people. The argument of saying they were the biggest band in the world is that Bob Geldof asked them to headline Live Aid, and they couldn't do that because they were in the middle of one of the biggest ever tours by any band, touring one of the biggest selling albums ever, an album that is still in the top 10 best selling albums ever in the UK ahead of Michael Jackson's Bad and Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon :o and 25th best selling album of all time in the world, quite a feat.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2024, 09:26:18 AM »
While doing some rechearch last night, I was astonished about pretty bad early reviews about Brothers in Arms:

Scource is Wikipedia again:

Initial reviews of Brothers in Arms from the UK music press in 1985 were generally negative. In a scathing review for NME, Mat Snow criticised Knopfler's "mawkish self-pity, his lugubriously mannered appropriation of rockin' Americana, his thumpingly crass attempts at wit". He also accused the album of the "tritest would-be melodies in history, the last word in tranquilising chord changes, the most cloying lonesome playing and ultimate in transparently fake troubador sentiment ever to ooze out of a million-dollar recording studio".[40] Eleanor Levy of Record Mirror dismissed the "West Coast guitars reeking of mega bucks and sell out stadium concerts throughout the globe. Laid back melodies. Dire Straits – summed up... This is like any other Dire Straits album quarried out of the tottering edifice of MOR rock."[37]

The reviews from other UK music papers were less harsh, with Jack Barron of Sounds feeling that "it's only a halfway decent album because it has only halfway decent songs... Knopfler has distilled his sonic essence, via blues, to appeal to billboard romantics with cinemascope insecurities. And he can pull it off well... but not often enough here."[38] Melody Maker's Barry McIlheney observed that Knopfler had recently explored different creative directions with his work on movie soundtracks and on Bob Dylan's Infidels, and bemoaned that "this admirable spirit of adventure fails to materialise... Instead it sounds just a bit too like the last Dire Straits album, which sounded not unlike the last one before that, which sounded suspiciously like the beginning of a hugely successful and very lucrative plan to take over the world known as AOR". He concluded, "the old rockschool restraints and the undeniably attractive smell of the winning formula seem to block out any such experimental work and what you end up with is something very like the same old story
".

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 39 queries.