Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Anyone else with love for Clapton's solo albums from the 70s?  (Read 1028 times)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Anyone else with love for Clapton's solo albums from the 70s?
« on: August 17, 2024, 02:15:16 PM »
I'm kind of a casual Clapton fan, and I've never delved deeply into his discography. One album I discovered by accident was the not-very-popular Money and Cigarettes (because Ry Cooder plays on it), and I love it. Recently I watched a Clapton documentary about his 70s period and I realized I'd never really listened to his albums from that time (except Slowhand, which I owned on tape many years ago). What a treasure trove! My favorite is the rather unknown There's One In Every Crowd followed by 461 Ocean Boulevard. Musically and sonically his music from this era really hits home with me these days. If you're not familiar with Clapton's solo albums from the 70s, you should give them a serious listen. (Don't let the self-titled album turn you off; his singing voice is quite different, and musically (IMO) it isn't as strong. YMMV.)

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Re: Anyone else with love for Clapton's solo albums from the 70s?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 04:35:08 PM »
Money And Cigarettes was the only EC album I knew and liked until MTV Unplugged came out which was great then and still is today. Could never get warm with his vocals and couldn't find the guitar god in all this neither. But that were the Cream days of course. So not a fan really.

LE

« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 04:37:49 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 05:50:22 PM »
I've never cared much for Clapton's work in the 60s. Too wild and loud :) Most of the 80s stuff is a little too pop-like and flat for me. And I don't like how those albums sound either. But those 70s albums sound very warm and organic, and Clapton's guitar playing is just right. Nothing spectacular, just solid, tasteful playing. It's the whole package for me. Good songs, great musicians and (background) singers, top production.

Offlinewayaman

• Camerado
  • Times were tough in geordieland
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 05:57:23 PM »
I like quite a lot some of those mentioned records, despite I didn't listen too much the self titled and Money and Cigarrets.

Slowhand and Ocean Boulevard are must records obviously.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2024, 06:37:45 PM »
I'm kind of a casual Clapton fan, and I've never delved deeply into his discography. One album I discovered by accident was the not-very-popular Money and Cigarettes (because Ry Cooder plays on it), and I love it. Recently I watched a Clapton documentary about his 70s period and I realized I'd never really listened to his albums from that time (except Slowhand, which I owned on tape many years ago). What a treasure trove! My favorite is the rather unknown There's One In Every Crowd followed by 461 Ocean Boulevard. Musically and sonically his music from this era really hits home with me these days. If you're not familiar with Clapton's solo albums from the 70s, you should give them a serious listen. (Don't let the self-titled album turn you off; his singing voice is quite different, and musically (IMO) it isn't as strong. YMMV.)
sure, but even more his live work, i know he was drunk/stoned a lot of the time, but back in my collection days i would collect any EC show as long as it was pre 85 (add to that the MK years) as he just rocked then.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

privinvest

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2024, 11:11:47 PM »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 01:33:32 PM »
I've never cared much for Clapton's work in the 60s. Too wild and loud :) Most of the 80s stuff is a little too pop-like and flat for me. And I don't like how those albums sound either. But those 70s albums sound very warm and organic, and Clapton's guitar playing is just right. Nothing spectacular, just solid, tasteful playing. It's the whole package for me. Good songs, great musicians and (background) singers, top production.

Wild and Loud.
That's what i like.

EC on Cream, Blind Faith and the Dominoes are fantastic.
I never really liked his non-blues solo albums. Artistically, Behind The Sun, Pilgrim and Journeyman are good albums.
His blues and live albums are his best works.

Clapton, in my opinion, it's a man to see his shows. His records never get close to his concerts.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2024, 02:59:41 PM »

Wild and Loud.
That's what i like.

EC on Cream, Blind Faith and the Dominoes are fantastic.
I never really liked his non-blues solo albums. Artistically, Behind The Sun, Pilgrim and Journeyman are good albums.

Clapton, in my opinion, it's a man to see his shows. His records never get close to his concerts.
agree.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2024, 09:44:02 PM »

It's exactly the non-blues aspect of those 70s albums that appeal to me. There are of course hints of blues in them, but you've got reggae, gospel, ballads, country rock and much more. Plus I just think they sound great. They have this sweet 'analog' sound that really appeal to me. A typical 70s sound.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2024, 08:39:34 AM »
I have one of his greatest hits albums, I don' often listen to his work though, but Tears In Heaven from the Unplugged album is heartbreaking.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2024, 11:45:20 AM »
I have one of his greatest hits albums, I don' often listen to his work though, but Tears In Heaven from the Unplugged album is heartbreaking.

It's a very good ballad, and the backstory is heartbreaking. It's been played too much though.

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2024, 05:05:32 PM »
I’ve not listened to tons other than the greatest hits stuff, but I do like his album Clapton. Features some Fats Waller songs and stuff.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2024, 07:00:10 PM »
the Layla album is a masterpiece, his best recrod in his whole discography imho
I love Cream and Blind Faith too

from his 70 era, I love the live "EC was here". amazing guitar tone and playing

I like his solo albums very much too from his first one self titled in 1970 up to "Money and cigarettes".

I don't like much "Behind the sun" and A"ugust" (too much 80's produced...by Collins)

"Journeyman" is another great one

and of course "Unplugged" too

But after tht, I must admit I di'n't pay much attention to his career

But I had the chance to see him live in late may

all my articles about EC : https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/eric-clapton/

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2024, 11:40:53 AM »
also, always loved his Just one night album.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 40 queries.