Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark at the BBC  (Read 5205 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark at the BBC
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2024, 11:58:16 AM »
Really thought Hank/The Shadows would have been one amongst his chosen 'discs', especially as he has a framed 'Shadows' EP on his mantelpiece!
where do you have that from?

He told us at the ODR promo in London....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2024, 12:08:52 PM »
Really thought Hank/The Shadows would have been one amongst his chosen 'discs', especially as he has a framed 'Shadows' EP on his mantelpiece!
where do you have that from?

He told us at the ODR promo in London....
aha, little inside left info. thnx
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2024, 12:23:26 PM »
Just listening... it's beautiful!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

privinvest

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2024, 01:23:52 PM »
Could it be that Mark the man is consideably less interesting than Mark the artist? Or is it obvious and inevitable and not smth he would disagree nd unhappy about anyway? Mark the artist is what will endure, the man will perish

The fame part never interested him so he never played that game.
For me that makes him more interesting.
He is an intelligent man,very talented and has a sense of humour.
He's a happy family man which is what we all strive for.
He didn't sell out his soul to remain relevant and does things his own way.
I find this much more interesting than someone full of themselves thinking they are a gift from God.
His reserved interview style has held him back in some respects but it enabled him to live HIS life.
Most of us struggle with that,at least from time to time,so I have nothing but admiration for his approach to incorporating his immense abilities into a successful home life.
Perhaps if enough dug beneath the headlines they would be equally as impressed.

👍Well put!

For me it's  the same: Mark the human being comes first, and his music is of course the result of it. I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but all art is imho directly connected to its creator and the circumstances it was created in. The more you know about the background, the more interesting a piece of art will become. So, as soon as the creator is forgotten, the art will lose a lot of its meaning (with the exception, maybe, of instrumental music and abstract art). I mean, if you look at a 3000-year-old Greek statue, you may think it's beautiful but it doesn't mean a thing, but if you look at a sculpture by Michelangelo and you know the story behind it, it will somehow come alive.

But quite apart from that, Mark the man has always been at least as interesting as Mark the musician. He's intelligent, educated, open-minded, responsible, resilient, always trying to improve, ready to help others, and with high moral standards, but no saint. And just the sheer amount of work that he's done in his career makes me dizzy - how on earth did he find the time and energy to do all these things? Amazing!
I don't know who brought up the "boring guitar nerd" myth in the first place (was it MK himself?), but for me it clearly doesn't apply.

Every human being, a janitor, a peasant, doctor or astronaut, is interesting, if you (are able to) look at him close/careful enough. I'm sure MK has, had (?) many volcanoes in him, many contradictions, struggles, regrets, fears, anger, hatred, jealousy, mistakes, guilts, yearnngs, missed opportunites, girls he couldn't forget etc. We sometimes see glimpses of them in his songs, both in words and the music. It's mostly very beautiful, often sublime. He pours most of the things like in the list above to his art... and the result is magnifico. That's why we are all here. But the "public" man ... he is evasive, private, kind of shy, hides himself behind cliches, tired anecdotes etc. He doesn't (want to) reveal himself, does not open those "interesting" stuff about himself. Does he have to? Of course not. The artist is supreme and very interesting. I think that will live "forever." The mn behind that art is of course interesting, he must be, becoz his art is not something happens without him, it's not God's art, not nature's art, it's not the almighty speaks to us thru MK. No, it's MK speaking, he distills his life, thoughts, philosophy, observations, talent, study, hard work etc and gave us his own thing. That man cannot be not interesting. But the public persona is. At least compared to the artist. And I'm OK with that. In fact that's preferable.
Otherwise the puzzle would be easier to decipher, it will lose some part of his magic. Art springs from the artist subjective experience, perspective but it must be to a degree at least univrsal. Of course I'd love to be privy to his most inner thoughts, emotions, experiences etc but that's a selfish thing. One last thing, I have the feeling that if I spend, say, two years with MK in a desert island, I'm not sure I would know much more about his inner self than I already do.         

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2024, 01:51:27 PM »

Every human being, a janitor, a peasant, doctor or astronaut, is interesting, if you (are able to) look at him close/careful enough. I'm sure MK has, had (?) many volcanoes in him, many contradictions, struggles, regrets, fears, anger, hatred, jealousy, mistakes, guilts, yearnngs, missed opportunites, girls he couldn't forget etc. We sometimes see glimpses of them in his songs, both in words and the music. It's mostly very beautiful, often sublime. He pours most of the things like in the list above to his art... and the result is magnifico. That's why we are all here. But the "public" man ... he is evasive, private, kind of shy, hides himself behind cliches, tired anecdotes etc. He doesn't (want to) reveal himself, does not open those "interesting" stuff about himself. Does he have to? Of course not. The artist is supreme and very interesting. I think that will live "forever." The mn behind that art is of course interesting, he must be, becoz his art is not something happens without him, it's not God's art, not nature's art, it's not the almighty speaks to us thru MK. No, it's MK speaking, he distills his life, thoughts, philosophy, observations, talent, study, hard work etc and gave us his own thing. That man cannot be not interesting. But the public persona is. At least compared to the artist. And I'm OK with that. In fact that's preferable.
Otherwise the puzzle would be easier to decipher, it will lose some part of his magic. Art springs from the artist subjective experience, perspective but it must be to a degree at least univrsal. Of course I'd love to be privy to his most inner thoughts, emotions, experiences etc but that's a selfish thing. One last thing, I have the feeling that if I spend, say, two years with MK in a desert island, I'm not sure I would know much more about his inner self than I already do.       

You've nailed it!
The thought of spending two years on a remote island with anyone is frightening in itself, but with MK, you'd get to hear a lot of good music, at least  :)
But it's true: you might get a few glimpses into his character, but you probably wouldn't get to know that innermost part of his soul that is the source of the songs, because a large part of it may be subconscious, inarticulate and only comes to the surface in the process of writing / performing. In that sense, art is not a product, but an action or a process, both on the side of the artist and on the side of the listener/viewer/reader.
About the volcanoes: I'm sure he still has a few!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2024, 03:03:18 PM by stratmad »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2024, 02:10:39 PM »
There are many beautiful thoughts and words here that I agree with. I read with pleasure:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2024, 02:52:32 PM »
I'm sure he said before somewhere that he had a Lonnie Donegan record on his mantlepiece as well.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2024, 03:42:35 PM »
I'm sure he said before somewhere that he had a Lonnie Donegan record on his mantlepiece as well.

There were four if I rememberon his mantelpiece....Can't remember the other two
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2024, 04:35:17 PM »

There were four if I rememberon his mantelpiece....Can't remember the other two

I think he said he's kept the first golden Sultans single.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2024, 01:58:45 PM »
Mark said he thinks some of the buildings his dad designed are still standing, do we know which buildings he designed?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2024, 02:33:39 PM »
There may be records at Newcastle City Council, if they've kept them for such a long time.
Since he worked for the Council planning office, it will probably be public buildings or maybe council flats.
I think Mark said in the STP documentary that their own house is no longer there.
There's one thing that puzzles me, though: we know that he grew up in Blyth, but in the Myles Palmer bio it says that they lived in a semi-detached off Salters Road, not far from the schools. Do we know when they lived where?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2024, 02:49:09 PM »
Mark said he thinks some of the buildings his dad designed are still standing, do we know which buildings he designed?
he obviously does not know the specific location of any of them and was guestimating...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2024, 04:43:07 PM »

There's one thing that puzzles me, though: we know that he grew up in Blyth, but in the Myles Palmer bio it says that they lived in a semi-detached off Salters Road, not far from the schools. Do we know when they lived where?

Everything I read states that MK was raised and grew up in Blyth, which is 12 miles from Gosforth where Mark went to Archibald Primary School when he was seven or eight and later to Gosforth Grammar School, according to school friends in the Myles Palmer bio.  Mark has always said that he walked to school down Salters Road past a music shop, where he looked through the window at the guitars.   Obviously he wouldn't have walked 12 miles to school from Blyth, so they must have moved from there before he went to primary school.   I have a friend who attended Archibald Primary at the same time as Mark's sister, Ruth.

The address in the Myles Palmer book is Briarfield Road, Gosforth, which I googled a while ago and the semi-detached houses there are still standing.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 05:07:54 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineTommyJ88

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2024, 11:24:50 AM »
Maybe this has already been mentioned somewhere on this thread, but the upcoming Sounds of the 80s broadcast on BBC Radio 2 (mentioned in the original post of this thread) appears to be tomorrow (10th August) at 3 am BST, not 3 pm—so you’d have to stay up pretty late tonight to catch it live!

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2024, 12:20:52 PM »

Everything I read states that MK was raised and grew up in Blyth, which is 12 miles from Gosforth where Mark went to Archibald Primary School when he was seven or eight and later to Gosforth Grammar School, according to school friends in the Myles Palmer bio.  Mark has always said that he walked to school down Salters Road past a music shop, where he looked through the window at the guitars.   Obviously he wouldn't have walked 12 miles to school from Blyth, so they must have moved from there before he went to primary school.   I have a friend who attended Archibald Primary at the same time as Mark's sister, Ruth.

The address in the Myles Palmer book is Briarfield Road, Gosforth, which I googled a while ago and the semi-detached houses there are still standing.

Thank you!
They should put Blue Plaques on every house he's lived in, so we can find them more easily  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 41 queries.