Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark at the BBC  (Read 5201 times)

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
Re: Mark at the BBC
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2024, 03:48:28 PM »
To be honest with you, I wasn't very excited about this interview. As you all said, we know practically all the answers with a few exceptions.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2024, 04:04:15 PM »
Really thought Hank/The Shadows would have been one amongst his chosen 'discs', especially as he has a framed 'Shadows' EP on his mantelpiece!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2024, 04:27:16 PM »
Really thought Hank/The Shadows would have been one amongst his chosen 'discs', especially as he has a framed 'Shadows' EP on his mantelpiece!

Yes, The Shadows, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison were chosen, but I was surprised at the rest of his choices.  I thought Chet, Lonnie or the Everlys would have been mentioned, but I suppose that would have been too predictable.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2024, 06:47:26 PM »
Dean Martin was a big surprise. Never heard him mention Dino before.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2024, 07:02:45 PM »
Mark talked about Dean Martin on radio broadcasts  and presented "Red Sails In The Sunset"
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 08:56:28 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

privinvest

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2024, 09:00:52 PM »
Could it be that Mark the man is consideably less interesting than Mark the artist? Or is it obvious and inevitable and not smth he would disagree nd unhappy about anyway? Mark the artist is what will endure, the man will perish

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2024, 09:05:02 PM »
Mark talked about Dean Martin on radio shows  and presented "Red Sails In The Sunset"

Yes, you are right, Robson!
Mark played this song by Dean Martin in episode 6 at his British Grove Broadcast in 2020. I just listened to this episode the other day.
I would love for him to do new episodes because Mark has such extensive knowledge of all kinds of music and the way he talks about it is interesting and relaxing at the same time.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2024, 09:08:50 PM »
Mark talked about Dean Martin on radio shows  and presented "Red Sails In The Sunset"

Mark played this song by Dean Martin in episode 6 at his British Grove Broadcast in 2020. I just listened to this episode the other day.
I would love for him to do new episodes because Mark has such extensive knowledge of all kinds of music and the way he talks about it is interesting and relaxing at the same time.

Exactly! I dream of episode 25 and more. It was a fantastic adventure.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2024, 12:26:14 AM »
Mark talked about Dean Martin on radio broadcasts  and presented "Red Sails In The Sunset"

Ah ok, thanks. I don’t think I got round to listening to them all.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2024, 07:56:16 AM »
Could it be that Mark the man is consideably less interesting than Mark the artist? Or is it obvious and inevitable and not smth he would disagree nd unhappy about anyway? Mark the artist is what will endure, the man will perish

The fame part never interested him so he never played that game.
For me that makes him more interesting.
He is an intelligent man,very talented and has a sense of humour.
He's a happy family man which is what we all strive for.
He didn't sell out his soul to remain relevant and does things his own way.
I find this much more interesting than someone full of themselves thinking they are a gift from God.
His reserved interview style has held him back in some respects but it enabled him to live HIS life.
Most of us struggle with that,at least from time to time,so I have nothing but admiration for his approach to incorporating his immense abilities into a successful home life.
Perhaps if enough dug beneath the headlines they would be equally as impressed.

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2024, 10:11:37 AM »

The fame part never interested him so he never played that game.
For me that makes him more interesting.
He is an intelligent man,very talented and has a sense of humour.
He's a happy family man which is what we all strive for.
He didn't sell out his soul to remain relevant and does things his own way.
I find this much more interesting than someone full of themselves thinking they are a gift from God.
His reserved interview style has held him back in some respects but it enabled him to live HIS life.
Most of us struggle with that,at least from time to time,so I have nothing but admiration for his approach to incorporating his immense abilities into a successful home life.
Perhaps if enough dug beneath the headlines they would be equally as impressed.

👍Well put!

For me it's  the same: Mark the human being comes first, and his music is of course the result of it. I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but all art is imho directly connected to its creator and the circumstances it was created in. The more you know about the background, the more interesting a piece of art will become. So, as soon as the creator is forgotten, the art will lose a lot of its meaning (with the exception, maybe, of instrumental music and abstract art). I mean, if you look at a 3000-year-old Greek statue, you may think it's beautiful but it doesn't mean a thing, but if you look at a sculpture by Michelangelo and you know the story behind it, it will somehow come alive.

But quite apart from that, Mark the man has always been at least as interesting as Mark the musician. He's intelligent, educated, open-minded, responsible, resilient, always trying to improve, ready to help others, and with high moral standards, but no saint. And just the sheer amount of work that he's done in his career makes me dizzy - how on earth did he find the time and energy to do all these things? Amazing!
I don't know who brought up the "boring guitar nerd" myth in the first place (was it MK himself?), but for me it clearly doesn't apply.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2024, 10:44:41 AM »
Well said Statmad  :) I admire  and respect him, like we all do, and it is not the lack of scandals I miss. I miss the latter 25 years as a musician. How he brilliantly mix in the American style and musicians, then add some folkies, and so on. His albums, film scores and collaborations  after year 2000. Yes it has been a repeated cykle and it may be difficult to find new angles to it, I see that, but still. If he wants to add personal things, then great  :)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2024, 11:02:32 AM »
"Oh it's always fun. We have much to laugh about. I like the whole circle of it you know? I am one of those lucky guys who likes everything about it
 I like recording it, I love to rehearse and I love to play live, especially with guys like these."

LE
LOL, he must have read your post before doing the interview😂😂😂

Yes, I had to laugh at that point!   

I enjoyed the programme very much, but was a bit surprised at his choice of music, although I expected Bob and Van to be there as well as The Shadows.   Loved hearing his voice too!    :)
Good start, with the questions about his partens, then it drifted a bit into familiar territory, still a very enjoyable hour. also interesting choice of songs, no surprise with Dylan, but was surprised with the song choice. also, had expected JJ Cale to be there too.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2024, 11:03:15 AM »
where do you have that from?

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2024, 11:04:33 AM »

or get together with Bob and do a music show, now THAT would be 2 musical encyclopedias together, AND damn interesting.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 41 queries.