Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's WOW Factor is gone?  (Read 5876 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: Mark's WOW Factor is gone?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2024, 10:59:09 AM »
First album recorded in British Grove in 3 months (january - march 2007)

Get Lucky 6 months (october 2008 -  march 2009)

Privatereing 5 months ( november 2011 - march 2012)

Tracker 10 months ( january - october 2014)

They not spent thie amout of time recording.
The recording process was 3 weeks at max.
Tracker started a pre-productionin at Jan/14 and it takes 1 month. They reunited the band in late Sep/14 for the recordings. 

If MK and the band spent 10 months recording Tracker... Certainly, the WOW factor was gone.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 11:08:46 AM by Rolo »

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2024, 11:44:25 AM »
First album recorded in British Grove in 3 months (january - march 2007)

Get Lucky 6 months (october 2008 -  march 2009)

Privatereing 5 months ( november 2011 - march 2012)

Tracker 10 months ( january - october 2014)

They not spent thie amout of time recording.
The recording process was 3 weeks at max.
Tracker started a pre-productionin at Jan/14 and it takes 1 month. They reunited the band in late Sep/14 for the recordings. 

If MK and the band spent 10 months recording Tracker... Certainly, the WOW factor was gone.

Actually it takes way more time as Mk and Guy usually spend a year or two testing things and crafting demos before the proper recordings starts.

For example, KTGC started the MK and Guy work alone at the end of 2005 and progressed along 2006 until they went on tour with Emmylou Harris, and resumed their work alone for the remaining of 2006, and the first proper sessions with other musicians started in 2007.

And exactly the same with the rest of records.
So Long

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2024, 12:03:26 PM »
Actually it takes way more time as Mk and Guy usually spend a year or two testing things and crafting demos before the proper recordings starts.

It's nice. Since Guy became 'The Man', MK has a person to share his toughts.
The Demo process can take years because it's not a linear work.

For example, KTGC started the MK and Guy work alone at the end of 2005 and progressed along 2006 until they went on tour with Emmylou Harris, and resumed their work alone for the remaining of 2006, and the first proper sessions with other musicians started in 2007.

2 years working on a weak album.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2024, 12:12:29 PM »

It's weak for you, for me is a masterpiece, one of my top MK records!

And it's two years because, first, they experimented a lot with melodies and instruments, just listen to "Behind with the rent" played at The Hurlingham Vip Party and you would listen how different is from what ended in the record! They tried many many things with all the songs.

So Long

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2024, 12:38:35 PM »

And it's two years because, first, they experimented a lot with melodies and instruments, just listen to "Behind with the rent" played at The Hurlingham Vip Party and you would listen how different is from what ended in the record! They tried many many things with all the songs.

Yes, and needed Secondary Waltz, completely changing the song:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2024, 12:43:14 PM »

Let me explain about 'weak album'

The are great songs on KTGC.
In The Sky, Heart Full Of Holes, Fish And The Bird, Punish The Monkey.
And some strange ones like, Madame Geneva, Fizzy And The Still, Behind With The Rent

It's (as i said before) a very artistc album.
However, in my opinion is badly recorded.
And, for me has almost the WOW Factor.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2024, 01:51:44 PM »
Hm. Ich to his own of course. But I can't see why KTGC would be badly recorded? Any examples? I think it sounds astonishing good! If there is a solo album from MK that is badly recorded (sonically), it would be Down The Dump wherever?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2024, 02:49:02 PM »
Down The Dump wherever? :disbelief
Clear as the day

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2024, 09:20:59 PM »
Slow Learner
Love will find a Way

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2024, 10:34:04 PM »
Apart from the occasional song, Mark hasn't wowed me in a long, long time, neither as a songwriter nor as a guitarist. He's become a great craftsman, but artistically it's all too safe and predictable. And as a person, he has in my opinion become incredibly dull. I keep up with what's happening in Mark's world, but it's mostly for "old times' sake".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 10:42:55 PM by hunter v2.0 »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2024, 12:14:08 PM »
Apart from the occasional song, Mark hasn't wowed me in a long, long time, neither as a songwriter nor as a guitarist. He's become a great craftsman, but artistically it's all too safe and predictable. And as a person, he has in my opinion become incredibly dull. I keep up with what's happening in Mark's world, but it's mostly for "old times' sake".

Yep.
I think that we like the most is the Fake MK.

You nailed it.

Offlinegonetroppo

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2024, 01:48:48 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've never posted on here before, I'm just a lurker, but this thread piqued my interest quite a bit so I wanted to throw my two cents in.
I'm quite a new fan of Mark's work, so if I had to guess why my opinion might differ so heavily to everyone's here, it would be that. Personally as if shifted through Mark's solo discography over this year (yes that's how recent of a fan I am, I'm very late to the party) I've found his catalogue is beautiful and quite diverse which I'm sure isn't very groundbreaking to say. However, I find a real standout to me has always been the tracker album, especially the songs Basil, River Towns, and Silver Eagle. Yes, it's not his most musically interesting or technical album, but I find a lot of beauty in its retrospective atmosphere and storytelling.

Again I'm a new fan, I think it has a lot to do with why I feel like, "Oh wow this is incredible!" whereas I've gathered most of the people who regularly post on here have been living with his music for decades and have watched every album slowly trickle out. I can understand my opinion isn't worth much but I thought maybe a fresh-faced perspective on Mark's music would also be interesting to some of you. I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind on whether Mark still has the so-called "wow factor" but he definitely has a new fan in me and it's been a joy discovering his music. 

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2024, 02:00:29 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've never posted on here before, I'm just a lurker, but this thread piqued my interest quite a bit so I wanted to throw my two cents in.
I'm quite a new fan of Mark's work, so if I had to guess why my opinion might differ so heavily to everyone's here, it would be that. Personally as if shifted through Mark's solo discography over this year (yes that's how recent of a fan I am, I'm very late to the party) I've found his catalogue is beautiful and quite diverse which I'm sure isn't very groundbreaking to say. However, I find a real standout to me has always been the tracker album, especially the songs Basil, River Towns, and Silver Eagle. Yes, it's not his most musically interesting or technical album, but I find a lot of beauty in its retrospective atmosphere and storytelling.

Again I'm a new fan, I think it has a lot to do with why I feel like, "Oh wow this is incredible!" whereas I've gathered most of the people who regularly post on here have been living with his music for decades and have watched every album slowly trickle out. I can understand my opinion isn't worth much but I thought maybe a fresh-faced perspective on Mark's music would also be interesting to some of you. I'm certainly not trying to change anyone's mind on whether Mark still has the so-called "wow factor" but he definitely has a new fan in me and it's been a joy discovering his music.

:thumbsup

It's great that Mark has new fans :)
Clear as the day

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2024, 02:40:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Welcome!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2024, 02:43:00 PM »
Hi everyone,

Welcome!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.