Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark's WOW Factor is gone?  (Read 5873 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Mark's WOW Factor is gone?
« on: July 15, 2024, 07:04:16 PM »
I am not saying that MK's music is getting worse or that i miss the good old days of his guitar skills.

I remember when STP was released, i was thrilled listeing to almost the whole record. Almost every song have the WOW Factor till today.
I feel that, when Mark started to record everything at BG, instead on having plenty of time to explore colors thru the songs, he rushed things a little bit.

last time that i was very impressed, artistically speaking, was listening Privateering. In my opinion, despite the huge amount of songs, its a bold album. Well, some songs were already on development since the MK/BD Tour and had time to grow until the recording.

So, instead that I write a bible here, in resume...

The thrist that we have about more MK songs or when will came the next album it's all about that Wow Factor that is gone?

Or the fact that, since 2012, the huge amount of 'little songs' turns the 'really good ones' weak?

And I am not talking aout the concerts.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: Mark's WOW Factor is gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2024, 07:36:54 PM »
"it's all about that Wow Factor that is gone?

But for me, is. For example, listening to One Deep River I felt this.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2024, 07:58:20 PM »
I agree. The Wow factor is a very fitting term and it got lost for me from Kill To Get Crimson on, very clear. As you said, Privateering was a big comeback for Wowsers and since then it gets more and more ... anti-wow. Only in 2018, I remember saying WOW, Down The Gutter is really his worst album so far, by far. (Another Wow! was the 2008 set list but that was concert/live)

But it all very natural to me, I am very thankful for what he gave us, including DS, STP, TRD and SL. It is absolutely normal that his artistic output or flow gets thinner. It's only hard to accept for a fan coming down from these hights.

You exactly nailed it, good post!

LE
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 08:01:02 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2024, 08:34:13 PM »
I thought about that many times. The wow-moments were gone from Privateering album and especially the tour onwards.
The album didn't make it for me. And the tour was a bit of a replica of the GL tour. and SOS was missing at some gigs for the first time

Love will find a Way

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2024, 09:00:57 PM »
I think I know what you mean by the wow factor. Big, memorable songs like TR or TOL. Those days are long gone, of course.
For me, there have been at least two or three songs on each solo album so far where I'd go "wow, that's a song only MK could've written", where the music and the lyrics just fit perfectly with the message. DTRW has 4 for me: Nobody's child, When you leave, Bacon roll and Heavy up.
With the new album, it's the same.
It seems to me that the later albums took a lot longer to grow on me, maybe because they're more complex.
But in the end, it's always: "Wow, it's an MK album!" :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2024, 10:31:27 PM »
"it's all about that Wow Factor that is gone?

But for me, is. For example, listening to One Deep River I felt this.

Sorry, Robson. I do not understand. :)

Did you felt that the Wow Factor is gone?
Or you felt THE Wow Factor.

In my case, listening to ODR, there are a couple of songs that were great potential do be WOW.

I agree. The Wow factor is a very fitting term and it got lost for me from Kill To Get Crimson on, very clear. As you said, Privateering was a big comeback for Wowsers and since then it gets more and more ... anti-wow. Only in 2018, I remember saying WOW, Down The Gutter is really his worst album so far, by far. (Another Wow! was the 2008 set list but that was concert/live)

But it all very natural to me, I am very thankful for what he gave us, including DS, STP, TRD and SL. It is absolutely normal that his artistic output or flow gets thinner. It's only hard to accept for a fan coming down from these hights.

You exactly nailed it, good post!

LE

YES!
That is the point.
I think that KTGC is very artistic, however lacks energy.
It's a good album, but is weak.
It's their first big BG recording, so it's very homemade.
Well, the NHB album was recorded at Mark home studio...

After Privateering, i agree that Mark's music is anti-wow.
I feel that since Tracker, all songs, band, playing are too "lazy".

I thought about that many times. The wow-moments were gone from Privateering album and especially the tour onwards.
The album didn't make it for me. And the tour was a bit of a replica of the GL tour. and SOS was missing at some gigs for the first time

In my opinion, the 2011 tour with Dylan was GREAT.
The last that was full of energy and visceral playing.
Dylan was on fire back then. So maybe Mark and the boys felt a little pressure by Dylan's fire.

I think I know what you mean by the wow factor. Big, memorable songs like TR or TOL. Those days are long gone, of course.
For me, there have been at least two or three songs on each solo album so far where I'd go "wow, that's a song only MK could've written", where the music and the lyrics just fit perfectly with the message. DTRW has 4 for me: Nobody's child, When you leave, Bacon roll and Heavy up.
With the new album, it's the same.
It seems to me that the later albums took a lot longer to grow on me, maybe because they're more complex.
But in the end, it's always: "Wow, it's an MK album!" :-)

TR and TOL days were gone.
TR, SOS gone since 2008.
The fire was gone since 2008 (except for 2011)

There are many songs that only MK could do.
But lacks FIRE!

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2024, 11:19:16 PM »
"Did you felt that the Wow Factor is gone?
Or you felt THE Wow Factor.

In my case, listening to ODR, there are a couple of songs that were great potential do be WOW"

-------

For me, the wow factor has not disappeared. It still is and very often.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2024, 11:30:44 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2024, 11:27:37 PM »
It is interesting. I've always wondered about this. Why are songs that are slow (without fire) criticized? Are slower songs weaker, less interesting? This is probably a question from the sociology of music :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2024, 01:09:29 AM »
It is interesting. I've always wondered about this. Why are songs that are slow (without fire) criticized? Are slower songs weaker, less interesting? This is probably a question from the sociology of music :)

When I said fire, i want to say intensity. Deepness.
As english is not my main language, it's hard for me to explain.

Haul Away is a song with FIRE and is very, very slow.
Kingdom Of Gold it's a slow paced song whitch is burning.
And i am not talking about Brothers In Arms.

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2024, 01:22:59 AM »
"As english is not my main language"

For me too:)

I agree. I wrote this post in general, I didn't think about what you wrote :) Generally faster songs are more popular. I wonder why...
Clear as the day

OfflineWario

• Guitar George
  • Don’t crash the ambulance, whatever you do
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2024, 05:53:12 AM »
My humble opinion is that fast music motivates people more and that is why they prefer it. But in the case of artists like MK, the public has a lot to do with it. In DS's days, rock, solos, and the guitar itself were much more central to their music than they are today, and that's okay. But people are already accustomed to thinking that Mark is a rocker (and he is, but over the years he "softened" and today I think he focuses more on the melody and lyrics than on the guitar), so he has to see with that too. I believe, for example, that crooners never quite felt comfortable trying to be on trends, singing pop. It wasn't his thing, and even though almost everyone came to see them to hear songs from the Great American Songbook, the mass public and some fans still imagine Knopfler more as a rock star than as a singer-songwriter.
My thoughts.
It's all about the music.

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2024, 06:53:59 AM »
Everyone will have their opinion/preference of course!

But wholeheartedly I actually felt the "wow" factor when I heard "River Towns" from Tracker. I put it on the stereo when I got the vinyl and I thought it captured such an atmosphere instantly.

I felt similarly when I heard Janine on ODR, Just a very well written song and the atmosphere is beautiful.

I understand I might be in the minority however, I think i've found something I really liked on every album that gave me a wow the first time I heard it. Are some albums better and have more Wow's than others? Absolutely.

I don't know if i've 100% agreed with the british grove way of recording, I think it's made some good/great songs weak with the production and some performances, but like a lot of artists as they get older, it becomes about making the recording process smooth and enjoyable for the songwriter/artist. It's why MK can still crank out an album/bonus album/tracks etc. He enjoys the process he has at BG and it's easy for him as he ages. Without it we may have had no music at all, or much less and the gems I love so much may not have come to fruition.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2024, 08:50:17 AM »
I feel that, when Mark started to record everything at BG, instead on having plenty of time to explore colors thru the songs, he rushed things a little bit.

Very curious you say that because all records before opening BG were rushed in terms they were using proffesional studios in Nashville, or LA for Shangri-La, that were very busy and expensive at the same time, so they have a very limited amount of time to make the records, when he opened BG, he made sure having a room specifically for him and Guy where they spend a lot of time experimenting, most of the time with combinations of guitars and amps, and tea, LOL, but the reality is that they have many more time than before.

Actually I think that when they used other studios, that previous work was made too by MK and Guy at the Mews studio in Notting Hill, but they didn't had so much space and equipment like they have in BG.
So Long

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2024, 09:19:28 AM »
When was the last time you were wowed by a 75 year old?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestratmad

• Lady writer
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2024, 09:38:10 AM »
When was the last time you were wowed by a 75 year old?

Many times in the past couple of years: Randy Newman. Van Morrison. James Taylor, David Gilmour, Carlos Santana. And Willie Nelson, and he's 90!
I don't think age is a factor at all for an artist, whether they're a musician, a painter or a writer. It's rather a question of energy, taking an interest in the world and having something to say, and finding a way of expressing it.
Mark has obviously still got a lot to say, and he's found a way of channelling it into songs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 34 queries.