Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Bob Dylan Forever Young with Mark Knopfler video HD  (Read 1910 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Bob Dylan Forever Young with Mark Knopfler video HD
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2024, 05:49:07 PM »
I was at one of the concerts on the Mark and Bob tour in 2011 and when Mark and the band came on stage MK thanked "Mr Bob" for inviting him on the tour and, as usual, he introduced the band.   After the interval when Bob came on stage he didn't even refer to Mark and the band once nor did he introduce his own band who I think are pretty long suffering.   I remember reading on Guy's forum that Bob's band usually joined in with MK and his band offstage because they were having some fun.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2024, 06:58:36 PM »
I read it on Facebook, basically the story went that MK came out of his hotel and was surrounded by crazy Italian fans looking for an autograph (I know not all Italian fans are crazy before someone has a go at me), he got so annoyed he grabbed a marker pen and started drawing all over the fans.

Haha! If that story is true, they must have been very annoying! Must have been a long time ago.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2024, 07:30:15 PM »
I was at one of the concerts on the Mark and Bob tour in 2011 and when Mark and the band came on stage MK thanked "Mr Bob" for inviting him on the tour and, as usual, he introduced the band.   After the interval when Bob came on stage he didn't even refer to Mark and the band once nor did he introduce his own band who I think are pretty long suffering.   I remember reading on Guy's forum that Bob's band usually joined in with MK and his band offstage because they were having some fun.

I was also at one concert. In Germany. I had similar feelings. It was the first show in my life where people left a gig (Bob). A sad sight. I was angry.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 07:37:08 PM by Robson »
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2024, 07:34:00 PM »
I loved the show I saw in Glasgow.

Being there with DMG and jbaent was just the icing on the cake!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2024, 07:57:16 PM »

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, dusty, but it was quite the opposite for me and many others.  Many people around us left long before the end and we were almost alone with Isaac Shabtay amongst lots of empty seats.  I have lots of Bob's albums and really enjoy them, but live he is a different story - we couldn't tell what the songs were - I mean songs like Tangled Up In Blue which are so well-known!  Back at the hotel there were people in tears because they were so disappointed.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 08:00:17 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2024, 08:06:32 PM »

I'm glad you enjoyed the show, dusty, but it was quite the opposite for me and many others.  Many people around us left long before the end and we were almost alone with Isaac Shabtay amongst lots of empty seats.  I have lots of Bob's albums and really enjoy them, but live he is a different story - we couldn't tell what the songs were - I mean songs like Tangled Up In Blue which are so well-known!  Back at the hotel there were people in tears because they were so disappointed.

Sorry if I’m harsh but I don’t really have much sympathy for someone ending up in tears because they were disappointed by a rock show.

By 2011 Dylan had been performing this way for decades so it seems odd to me that big fans would not have a level of expectation of what they were in for.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2024, 08:11:34 PM »
I was also at one concert. In Germany. I had similar feelings. It was the first show in my life where people left a gig (Bob). A sad sight. I was angry.

You weren't the only one! I saw 3 or 4 shows in Germany and Switzerland, and Mark was great as always. But Dylan's sound was terrible in all the venues, while Mark manages to get a got sound anywhere.
It was really a bit sad, because most Dylan fans only turned up in the interval, and collided with the Knopfler fans, who were leaving.
I remember seeing Dylan back in the nineties, too. He was certainly eccentric even then, but at least the sound quality was good and I was able to figure out which song he was actually playing or mumbling. In 2011/12 that wasn't always the case.
Bob must have made good money on those tours, because MK attracted far larger audiences than Dylan ever would on his own.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2024, 08:26:10 PM »
Sorry if I’m harsh but I don’t really have much sympathy for someone ending up in tears because they were disappointed by a rock show.

By 2011 Dylan had been performing this way for decades so it seems odd to me that big fans would not have a level of expectation of what they were in for.

That's absolutely right, Dusty! They should have known.
Me, I didn't cry. I just felt I was getting a raw deal somehow because I'd paid for a Knopfler show with a nice bit of Dylan on top and was getting half an MK show with a nasty bit of Dylan on top  :lol

But anyway, folks: we can tell our grandchildren that we saw Bob Dylan! I mean, how many others of that size and shape have you seen live? Names that will be remembered in 100 years maybe?

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2024, 09:04:14 PM »
Also, it was a “bonus” MK tour - he wouldn’t have been playing that year if Bob hadn’t invited him out.

And we got to hear some new songs before they were recorded, plus some surprises. :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2024, 09:25:53 PM »

You weren't the only one! I saw 3 or 4 shows in Germany and Switzerland, and Mark was great as always. But Dylan's sound was terrible in all the venues, while Mark manages to get a got sound anywhere.
It was really a bit sad, because most Dylan fans only turned up in the interval, and collided with the Knopfler fans, who were leaving.
I remember seeing Dylan back in the nineties, too. He was certainly eccentric even then, but at least the sound quality was good and I was able to figure out which song he was actually playing or mumbling. In 2011/12 that wasn't always the case.
Bob must have made good money on those tours, because MK attracted far larger audiences than Dylan ever would on his own.

I had a quick look and in 09 an 10 Dylan was playing many of the same venues that MK had been on his tours.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2024, 09:43:10 PM »
I had a quick look and in 09 an 10 Dylan was playing many of the same venues that MK had been on his tours.

Right, I didn't know that. In the 90s he played places like Liederhalle in Stuttgart, that's about 3,000. Nice venue, though.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2024, 09:59:26 PM »
I've seen Bob four times (1995, 1998 and 2x 2011) and it was always great. Hannover 2011 was one of those shows where people left the venue during Bob's part but all I saw was absolutely happy people and fans of all ages (many much younger folks as I ever wittnessed at any MK show). MK's set that night was good, safe as always, although I really liked the 2011 set list. No "hit" and three new unrecorded songs was very  remarkable.  But Bob was wild. Energy, art, power. When I went home, I hardly thought about MK's set but all about Bob. It was a total blast, good sound, great set list, Bob being very energized. Loved every minute of it.

LE
« Last Edit: June 03, 2024, 10:01:42 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2024, 11:02:00 PM »
I think pairing two reasonably well-known acts will end up like that, with alot of people showing up for just one of them. Like, most support bands are unknown and it is to be expected that there are fewer people in the audience during their act and that most/close to all stay for the main act. Not really a good move, but maybe it's easy to say that in hindsight. On paper, it's not a hopeless pairing.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2024, 11:10:53 PM »
Dylan has been pairing up with other big acts for a long time.

I saw him with Van in 97.

Van was terrible. And I’m a Van fan man.

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2024, 11:12:26 PM »
I think pairing two reasonably well-known acts will end up like that, with alot of people showing up for just one of them. Like, most support bands are unknown and it is to be expected that there are fewer people in the audience during their act and that most/close to all stay for the main act. Not really a good move, but maybe it's easy to say that in hindsight. On paper, it's not a hopeless pairing.

Yes, there was probably something weird about the whole setup. I thought there'd either be two separate full shows, or maybe they'd play together a bit more. But somehow I couldn't get used to the fact that MK was a "support act" to his Bobness! the one Dylan show I sat through was a lot longer, if I remember correctly. Or maybe it just seemed longer because I didn't like it  :lol

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.