Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Knopfler/Clapton relationship  (Read 2318 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: Knopfler/Clapton relationship
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2024, 10:47:31 AM »
Didn't get to the end yet, there's only so much of this stuff I can stomach in one sitting...

PS Keep the Rev out of this! :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2024, 10:49:02 AM »
which rev? am slow, like Marky...
nobody does say Marky like EC does though. love that.
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2024, 10:52:47 AM »
Indeed you are all free to say that Clapton is nuts if you please. Freedom of speech all the way! 😊

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2024, 11:16:02 AM »
Indeed you are all free to say that Clapton is nuts if you please. Freedom of speech all the way! 😊
nuts, but live  a revelation...

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2024, 11:29:02 AM »

Is he, still? I walked out of a show some time in the mid-nineties, because it was just plain boring and badly mixed. Love his old stuff, though!

I couldn't be bothered to listen to the second part of the interview in detail, after all that pharma stuff. I'd rather have a transcript than sit through that video. But did he actually say all these things, and are they his own opinion, or just some idea he's only talking about? How can he say Israel is great when he used a guitar with the colours of Palestine?  :hmm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2024, 11:42:39 AM »

Is he, still? I walked out of a show some time in the mid-nineties, because it was just plain boring and badly mixed. Love his old stuff, though!

I couldn't be bothered to listen to the second part of the interview in detail, after all that pharma stuff. I'd rather have a transcript than sit through that video. But did he actually say all these things, and are they his own opinion, or just some idea he's only talking about? How can he say Israel is great when he used a guitar with the colours of Palestine?  :hmm

He didn't say Israel is great, he sais Israel runs the world, very different thing.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 11:43:18 AM »

https://www.loudersound.com/features/billy-gibbons-reverend-nickname

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 12:23:28 PM »

The one and only time I was at a Clapton concert was for the "From The Cradle" tour.   It was at Manchester Arena and the sound was deafening!   It was so loud that it was impossible to hear what was being played and my ears were ringing for days afterwards in spite of wearing earplugs!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2024, 12:43:21 PM »
I was wondering where the relationship between Mark and Eric Clapton was at these days. I know that Mark (and Guy) often mentioned what I lovely chap Eric seems to be, and Mark mentioned him in relation with the Local Hero project recently. But did Mark (or Guy) ever comment on the trouble Clapton gets himself into again and again with his political remarks?

I'm just wondering because Mark always seems to be such a reasonable person in every respect, and his songs leave no room for doubt about where he stands on the most important political matters. That's why I can't imagine him not having a problem with some of Clapton's comments.

I've listened to Clapton being interviewed on the podcast below yesterday, and could hardly believe my ears. He went as far as to defend Vladimir Putin, and mentioned that one of his "closest friends" (Bernie Ecclestone, I believe) said he would "take a bullet for him" (Putin). There was other outrageous stuff in that interview, but I actually had to rewind and listen again to that particular part, it was just ... unbelievably ignorant.

If anyone knows whether Mark himself or someone close to him ever reacted to such comments, I'd be interested to know.

Any reasonable person respects the views of others, so long as they are put across in a polite manner.  We are fortunate enough not to live in a dictatorship.

I honestly couldn't care less what EC thinks but have been disappointed by Mark's comments lately and some on here.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2024, 12:56:31 PM »
You have to really listen carefully here.
He is supporting Palestine, so far so good.

Er...it's not a football game.  He is supporting terrorists then.  Wonder if Jews feel safe going to his shows.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2024, 01:03:51 PM »
I was wondering where the relationship between Mark and Eric Clapton was at these days. I know that Mark (and Guy) often mentioned what I lovely chap Eric seems to be, and Mark mentioned him in relation with the Local Hero project recently. But did Mark (or Guy) ever comment on the trouble Clapton gets himself into again and again with his political remarks?

I'm just wondering because Mark always seems to be such a reasonable person in every respect, and his songs leave no room for doubt about where he stands on the most important political matters. That's why I can't imagine him not having a problem with some of Clapton's comments.

I've listened to Clapton being interviewed on the podcast below yesterday, and could hardly believe my ears. He went as far as to defend Vladimir Putin, and mentioned that one of his "closest friends" (Bernie Ecclestone, I believe) said he would "take a bullet for him" (Putin). There was other outrageous stuff in that interview, but I actually had to rewind and listen again to that particular part, it was just ... unbelievably ignorant.

If anyone knows whether Mark himself or someone close to him ever reacted to such comments, I'd be interested to know.

I honestly couldn't care less what EC thinks but have been disappointed by Mark's comments lately and some on here.

Can you enlarge on that, please, dmg?   Which of MK's comments have disappointed you? ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinestratmad

• Camerado
  • Fan (with a capital F) since 1985
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2024, 01:49:33 PM »

Er...it's not a football game.  He is supporting terrorists then.  Wonder if Jews feel safe going to his shows.

Of course not. The conflict is much too serious for that.
The concert in January was meant to raise money for children in Gaza. These children, and the others on the other side of the barbed-wire fence, have nothing to do with political extremists and warmongers and their barbaric acts.

I'm not taking sides here, and I don't see very clearly what Clapton's views are.
All I'm saying is that we have to be careful not to generalise.
Not all Jews live in Israel, not all Israelis are Jews, not all of them support the government's policy, and the same is true of Gaza  and the Palestinians. Surely each of us has friends or family who are Jewish or Palestinian, and who have no interest in any sort of conflict.
This thing has turned into such a complex world-wide muddle that it's really hard to say anything without triggering another conflict.
I really do feel sorry for all the victims and the people who suffer, directly or indirectly, in the middle east and all over the world. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Something from the past just comes and stares into your soul...

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2024, 01:50:46 PM »
in the conspiracy light of things, our reverend Gibbons was not the Billy G i meant. think, think harder son!
https://www.loudersound.com/features/billy-gibbons-reverend-nickname

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2024, 01:53:04 PM »

now you are stepping into tricky territory here. let's leave it there.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2024, 01:54:26 PM »

Of course not. The conflict is much too serious for that.
The concert in January was meant to raise money for children in Gaza. These children, and the others on the other side of the barbed-wire fence, have nothing to do with political extremists and warmongers and their barbaric acts.

I'm not taking sides here, and I don't see very clearly what Clapton's views are.
All I'm saying is that we have to be careful not to generalise.
Not all Jews live in Israel, not all Israelis are Jews, not all of them support the government's policy, and the same is true of Gaza  and the Palestinians. Surely each of us has friends or family who are Jewish or Palestinian, and who have no interest in any sort of conflict.
This thing has turned into such a complex world-wide muddle that it's really hard to say anything without triggering another conflict.
I really do feel sorry for all the victims and the people who suffer, directly or indirectly, in the middle east and all over the world. 
well put. so let us now return to the video ...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 38 queries.