Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: EPK videos  (Read 3500 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
EPK videos
« on: February 23, 2024, 06:07:35 PM »

« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 11:49:47 AM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
Re: EPK videos
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 08:49:48 PM »
The interview from the release event
https://youtu.be/7BRYRjW8lWs?si=B-p7iyriIX8zH3eV

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 09:32:52 PM »

This link was already on the forum.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 10:59:42 PM »

Sorry that I posted the link I didn’t know that it was posted in a different thread. Maybe I missed it

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 11:17:56 PM »

Sorry that I posted the link I didn’t know that it was posted in a different thread. Maybe I missed it

But it's a great interview. It's worth it twice.  ;)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 03:38:04 PM »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2024, 03:53:39 PM »
Wow! Thank you :)
I thought it was going to be “Janine”  :)
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2024, 04:11:15 PM »
Wow! Thank you :)
I thought it was going to be “Janine”  :)

Yes, me too....

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2024, 05:15:40 PM »
Tunnel 13 - explanation video

https://youtu.be/3fQM_r_MzEk?feature=shared

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2024, 08:20:43 PM »

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2024, 08:51:16 PM »
Ok, thank you for the link! Nothing new really, we keep hearing exactly that praise and the same words from day one of BG. Funny that it comes up now.

In my opinion, everything recorded by DS and Mark before BG sounds MUCH better. In fact, I cannot listen to ODR after hearing, let's say almost everything from Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan or whatsoever. This morning I listened to a lot of music from the 80's and 90's, (among them Sade, Chris Rea, Gabriel, Genesis, and all kinds of other things, all on vinyl) and compared to that, ODR and DTRW sound just... dull,  muffled, compressed and just... shite. Too much bass, Mark's voice too loud, the drums hardly ever shine although they have exactly in that department so much to offer...  how comes?

So of course it might depend on my ears, I keep that option in mind realistically. But I know I am not the only one with this opinion. So IF my ears are alright, how comes that such a superior Studio produces such mediocre sound? It's an honest question, I don't want to provoke anybody.

You could also say that the recordings got worse and worse from the day Chuck left. So maybe it's Guy?

Opinions?

LE
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 08:58:21 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2024, 09:14:23 PM »
I don't know. I listen to music on CD. And of course not only DS/MK :) It sounds great to me.
Clear as the day

Offlinetobi777

• Local Hero
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2024, 10:08:27 PM »
Ok, thank you for the link! Nothing new really, we keep hearing exactly that praise and the same words from day one of BG. Funny that it comes up now.

In my opinion, everything recorded by DS and Mark before BG sounds MUCH better. In fact, I cannot listen to ODR after hearing, let's say almost everything from Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan or whatsoever. This morning I listened to a lot of music from the 80's and 90's, (among them Sade, Chris Rea, Gabriel, Genesis, and all kinds of other things, all on vinyl) and compared to that, ODR and DTRW sound just... dull,  muffled, compressed and just... shite. Too much bass, Mark's voice too loud, the drums hardly ever shine although they have exactly in that department so much to offer...  how comes?

So of course it might depend on my ears, I keep that option in mind realistically. But I know I am not the only one with this opinion. So IF my ears are alright, how comes that such a superior Studio produces such mediocre sound? It's an honest question, I don't want to provoke anybody.

You could also say that the recordings got worse and worse from the day Chuck left. So maybe it's Guy?

Opinions?

LE

I think the same way. ODR sounds quite ok on vinyl - but nowhere near as good as the old albums.
I even found it much worse on Spotify. The earlier albums sound better to me on every medium.

That may make me unpopular now - but maybe it's because Chuck Ainlay is simply a better producer than Guy Fletcher - or concentrated on the important things instead of moving microphones around the room for years...

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2024, 10:55:22 PM »

Opinions?

LE

I think the same way. ODR sounds quite ok on vinyl - but nowhere near as good as the old albums.
I even found it much worse on Spotify. The earlier albums sound better to me on every medium.

That may make me unpopular now - but maybe it's because Chuck Ainlay is simply a better producer than Guy Fletcher - or concentrated on the important things instead of moving microphones around the room for years...

I think it's the same story as with Dolby ATMOS and other surround sound things — their target audience is .000001% of listeners, and they go an extra lightyear or two just to be on the edge of technology, while it may not be as good for "regular folks". Whereas older records were a little bit more targeted towards regular listeners I think.

I'm pretty confident these records sound like magic IN the studio itself, however, not everyone possessed hundreds of thousands of dollars of sound equipment just to enjoy some songs. Usually, people do it in $20 earbuds or wireless headphones these days, or on something like amazing MacBook or iMac speakers, car stereos or portable speakers like Mark himself, whom we've seen using Marshall's portable speaker in Tracker documentary (wink wink).

I just released a video on my channel that I recorded in Dolby Vision, 10-bit HDR 60FPS 4K and it's safe to say nobody cares, not a single soul, everybody just keeps watching on their iPhones or whatever. And in some conditions, a video like this can ACTUALLY look worse. Like if you dim the screen a little bit, it's simply too bright.

Art and technology goes hand in hand, though at some point, in my humble opinion, it's a complete overkill. Like MKBHD (a famous technology YouTuber) recording his simple talking head YouTube videos on a freaking RED cinema camera that costs like a good new car. Nobody cares, nobody ever will.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2024, 10:55:43 PM »

Opinions?

LE

I've just finished watching the video and I wasn't expecting a miracle, it's sad that a video promoting a recording studio doesn't show any footage or videos of the recording sessions! With MK, everything is meticulously planned and calculated so as not to show anything natural or spontaneous.
As for the quality of recordings since GF's arrival, I agree, you only have to listen to Shangri La or KTGK to know that there's still a long way to go.
Anyway, all this to say that I'd have loved to see technicians and musicians play in such a big, prestigious studio, not just hear them talk about it.
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.