Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 20934 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #180 on: February 23, 2024, 06:53:18 PM »
Better vocals, maybe a more original song structure of any kind, at least some  proper guitar playing, these are just not more than three note licks.. and some kind of "melody" maybe? Try to sing it, the only thing that stays in mind are these backing vocals and they are more like a parody in my ears. Sorry for moaning but I was asked what I expect. I learn today to expect nothing anymore obviously. Please no attacks for having an opinion, thank you.

LE

I totally agree with you.
I think people are trying too hard to appreciate these new songs and, perhaps, get a better feeling when the album comes in.

I think that when the music is great, it captives you to listen again and again so the music will grow and the hidden gems starts to appear.

In this last couple of songs, some of us are having the opposite way.
They are tryng to like the songs only because MK.
Both are, in my opinion, weak songs.
About WMG, i feel a strong movement for some on 'enjoy' the MK's lazy vocals and the lack of a main melody.
The only thing that is 'singable' is that awful backing vocals.

My feeling, after hearing the recent MK's songs, is:
"It cannot be serious! I'll listen it again"
"This is an MK song? I'll listen it again to search something that I'll like"

I m not expecting a long guitar solo or a recreation of a DS song.
For an artist on the level of MK, i expect a song played with meaning, effort, with a strong vocal, with feeling and good surprises.

Try to accept that some people actually like these two songs. Nobody pretends.

Perhaps those who don't like these songs just aren't trying hard enough  ;)

See how ridiculous it sounds turned around?

You either like something or you don't. Not much on DTRW or Tracker touched me. This song did. Why is that so hard to grasp?

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #181 on: February 23, 2024, 07:06:00 PM »
Perhaps those who don't like these songs just aren't trying hard enough  ;)

See how ridiculous it sounds turned around?

You either like something or you don't. Not much on DTRW or Tracker touched me. This song did. Why is that so hard to grasp?

It's what i said before.
Every head is a differente world.
If you liked the song. That's fine.
Don't bother about my comment.

I like to go deep on some artists works that i like.

To my ears, there is a lack of energy on Mark songs.
Even undestanding the ambience and purpose of Tracker. I dislike most of the album.

But nowadays, man... i miss Tracker.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2024, 07:10:28 PM »
Rolo you don't know 23 songs yet  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2024, 07:13:52 PM »
Rolo you don't know 23 songs yet  ;)

I truly hope that i'll be surprised (positively) about these 23 remaining songs.  :)
However, the singles are lowering my expectations.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2024, 07:18:53 PM »
"I truly hope that i'll be surprised (positively) about these 23 remaining songs"

:thumbsup
Clear as the day

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2024, 07:26:12 PM »
One simple idea: If someone has "the right" to say that he loves this or that song, it should be allowed the same for some other one that he hates it. It's as simple as that.
I can understand that those who love certain things, as a reflex automatically feel offended when their way of seeing it is not shared by others. I don't want to think twice if I post a negative comment about something or not just because I know that I can expect being attacked only because of my different opinion. This time, it went pretty civilized.

Of course I WANT to like or even LOVE new stuff by MK. But when I don't, I want to be able to utter an opinion about why not. People with different opinions should just accept it and don't feel the urge of trying to convince me or explaining why I am wrong.

Since yesterday, I listened several times to Ahead Of The Game and like it more than before. Especially this "... a time or twice"  bit I just love. His vocals are much better on this one. So there's some hope still.
 ;D

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2024, 07:37:39 PM »
Speaking about vocals...
Mark have a hiccup at 1:17?

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2024, 07:46:47 PM »
Haven't posted since 2019. Love reading everyone's thoughts.❤️

I'm having different feelings about these first few songs. I love hearing his voice, I love what he's trying to tell us about his memories and his youth, and even if the notes aren't the same as they used to be in the old days, I love listening to his guitar work. Work. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm ready to heavy up for Mark on this album, and I'm going to listen to it with fresh ears and a new appreciation for him. If we never see him again on tour, and if we never hear another album, I want to really listen to this one and find out what he saying to us. Us. Watch Me Gone isn't just a song title, it feels like a theme. 🎸

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2024, 07:47:37 PM »
I guess it's more a laugh or a simliar reaction while remembering how it was to be broke, frustrated and obsessed.

Btw, when the Box Set and the babyblue vinyl has been delivered hopefully on April 12th, I also probably will be broke, frustrated and obsessed...  :lol

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2024, 07:53:40 PM »
One simple idea: If someone has "the right" to say that he loves this or that song, it should be allowed the same for some other one that he hates it. It's as simple as that.
I can understand that those who love certain things, as a reflex automatically feel offended when their way of seeing it is not shared by others. I don't want to think twice if I post a negative comment about something or not just because I know that I can expect being attacked only because of my different opinion. This time, it went pretty civilized.

Of course I WANT to like or even LOVE new stuff by MK. But when I don't, I want to be able to utter an opinion about why not. People with different opinions should just accept it and don't feel the urge of trying to convince me or explaining why I am wrong.

Since yesterday, I listened several times to Ahead Of The Game and like it more than before. Especially this "... a time or twice"  bit I just love. His vocals are much better on this one. So there's some hope still.
 ;D

LE

Mark's art is getting increasingly dividing with time like nearly any artist's work, and battles on this forum get exaggerated too. Mark is just doing stuff and so many factors are clashing together. His age, health, stopping touring, many years of waiting for a new album, missed opportunities, expectations. I can understand all the complaints perfectly, as well as all the praise and messages that we'd rather be thankful we get new music at all.

Imagine how hard it is for the man to come up with new music without recycling almost all of it. Can he truly compose new original music anymore? After half of a century of perpetual songwriting? I was surprised he's still doing it even when Tracker was released, and he's still doing it. That's impressive, not gonna lie. And it's not just being a performer, it's being a creator and performer, which is a hell of a lot harder.

With that said, every piece of art is still art and should be analysed like a piece of art not only in the context of its creation but outside of it too.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2024, 07:55:36 PM »
...And I didn't know...
...And the hopscotch traces...

I like these two parts when Mark sings higher :)
Clear as the day

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2024, 08:28:35 PM »
Mark's art is getting increasingly dividing with time like nearly any artist's work, and battles on this forum get exaggerated too. Mark is just doing stuff and so many factors are clashing together. His age, health, stopping touring, many years of waiting for a new album, missed opportunities, expectations. I can understand all the complaints perfectly, as well as all the praise and messages that we'd rather be thankful we get new music at all.

Imagine how hard it is for the man to come up with new music without recycling almost all of it. Can he truly compose new original music anymore? After half of a century of perpetual songwriting? I was surprised he's still doing it even when Tracker was released, and he's still doing it. That's impressive, not gonna lie. And it's not just being a performer, it's being a creator and performer, which is a hell of a lot harder.

With that said, every piece of art is still art and should be analysed like a piece of art not only in the context of its creation but outside of it too.

There was some hiatus between MK records. For me, that was never the problem.

A record from a major artist like MK is made by several people.
Mark has suffering from aging, with is bad, expecially for him and we suffer for him too.
He is our main artist and probally was because of him that many of us started or dreamed about a life as a musician. His music can touch us deeper that any other music. He can make us cry, smile and goosebumps in a way that no one can do.

However, exists a MK as a professional musician/producer.
A guy who knows everything about music business.

So he divided his job with GF to keep his stuff going. With is absolutely correct. "Divide to Conquer" - This is the phrase.
I saw a Robbie McIntosh interview that he says that he was helping MK on the LH Musical. With is, again, correct.

He can easily can deliver his scratches to an great arranger or a team or arrangers who can deliver a number of arrangements variations for the new songs and MK will only decide if it was good or no and suggest some new things. Team work.

Seems to me that he only deliver his stuff to GF.

The musicians are almost the same since 1996. So, they KNOW the way that the boss likes his stuff.

What i am complaing is not about the MK abilitys to play guitar. But the lazyness of the song arrangements and the generically delivering from the musicians.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2024, 08:49:49 PM »

There was some hiatus between MK records. For me, that was never the problem.

A record from a major artist like MK is made by several people.
Mark has suffering from aging, with is bad, expecially for him and we suffer for him too.
He is our main artist and probally was because of him that many of us started or dreamed about a life as a musician. His music can touch us deeper that any other music. He can make us cry, smile and goosebumps in a way that no one can do.

However, exists a MK as a professional musician/producer.
A guy who knows everything about music business.

So he divided his job with GF to keep his stuff going. With is absolutely correct. "Divide to Conquer" - This is the phrase.
I saw a Robbie McIntosh interview that he says that he was helping MK on the LH Musical. With is, again, correct.

He can easily can deliver his scratches to an great arranger or a team or arrangers who can deliver a number of arrangements variations for the new songs and MK will only decide if it was good or no and suggest some new things. Team work.

Seems to me that he only deliver his stuff to GF.

The musicians are almost the same since 1996. So, they KNOW the way that the boss likes his stuff.

What i am complaing is not about the MK abilitys to play guitar. But the lazyness of the song arrangements and the generically delivering from the musicians.
I think you're confusing laziness with song simplification. The older he got, the simpler his arrangements have become, that's just the way it is. And if he releases a new album after this one, I expect it to be even simpler in terms of songwriting. And that may not even be 100% true as DTRW had some interesting arrangements.
I have been critical of some of his songs in the past, especially in DTRW, but I have enjoyed listening to these two songs.
I will wait to hear the full album to make my judgement.

You'll miss Mark's songs when he's gone.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 08:52:35 PM by rmarques821 »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2024, 08:57:38 PM »

I think you're confusing laziness with song simplification. The older he got, the simpler his arrangements have become,
You'll miss Mark's songs when he's gone.

I'm sure that i am not confusing laziness with simplification.
Tracker is a simplistic album and has no laziness at all.

Songs like River Of Grog has a very simplistic arrangement and has no lazyness at all.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2024, 09:05:28 PM »
"Songs like River Of Grog has a very simplistic arrangement and has no lazyness at all.

From the album Privateering ;)
Clear as the day

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 35 queries.