Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 20919 times)

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2024, 11:46:02 PM »
The solo in My bacon roll is classic Knopfler to my ears one of his best

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2024, 12:13:32 AM »
I found out I best enjoy this song by completely ignoring the lyrics. As I can't relate to it at all as I just happen not to be Mark Knopfler, I just listen to the music. Being a non-native speaker definitely helps :lol

Also, strangely, you can hear the bongos only at certain places in the song, it just pops all of a sudden. I guess it makes more sense on Atmos mixes, you can barely hear it on the boring good old stereo recording.

I don't think I'm making this up, and the bongos are actually there because they suit the song and give it this Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On" vibe, I just can't hear it properly.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2024, 12:37:50 AM »
I think it's a beautiful effort. 2 things that really struck me. 1. Very very personal from mk. Absolutely no frills or hiding behind metaphor. 2. The unforgiving, almost mercenary nature of the central character in the song. Despite the sadness there is absolutely no remorse. Quite stark from mk and emotionally wrenching in itself. Echoes of his (apparent) treatment of his brother and perhaps shows the ruthlessness needed to be successful whilst also managing to create a commentary on the ridiculousness of the whole dream of 'making it'.

Only MK could channel such emotions in such a subtle way. The song really has many layers and is a wolf in sheep's clothing....
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 12:48:46 AM by 2manyguitars »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2024, 01:54:20 AM »
I think it's a beautiful effort. 2 things that really struck me. 1. Very very personal from mk. Absolutely no frills or hiding behind metaphor. 2. The unforgiving, almost mercenary nature of the central character in the song. Despite the sadness there is absolutely no remorse. Quite stark from mk and emotionally wrenching in itself. Echoes of his (apparent) treatment of his brother and perhaps shows the ruthlessness needed to be successful whilst also managing to create a commentary on the ridiculousness of the whole dream of 'making it'.

Only MK could channel such emotions in such a subtle way. The song really has many layers and is a wolf in sheep's clothing....

I feel this song the same way.
Mark in this song is a storyteller and I can't stop listening to it.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineWizard

• Guitar George
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2024, 10:10:44 AM »
I think it is a great country break up song about his first wife. Right up there with the great Hank Williams dark love songs. Mark has never sung better, wrote better lyrics, or been so open or honest. If you don't like country that is ok. But I can't accept that Mark is just phoning it in or isn't a great artist

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2024, 10:22:31 AM »
Tell me what is the last song and guitarsolo you really liked. Maybe i should start a new thread about this question, im curious..

Question for everybody. Will split topic tomorrow, or delete this post if nobody answers  ;)
Rear View Mirror springs to my mind, nicely understated jazzy guitar and an infectious groove. But there are others on DTRW I like as much as well.
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2024, 10:23:51 AM »
I still can't get used to the fact that MK tries to sing like art & garfunkel...
Or maybe even Paul & Simon  ;D  (sorry, couldn't resist)
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2024, 12:11:14 PM »
Nice enough but dull and instantly forgettable.  Backing singers seem completely pointless to me.

After all these years spent on this album the first two released songs have been completely underwhelming.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2024, 12:16:49 PM »
Nice enough but dull and instantly forgettable.  Backing singers seem completely pointless to me.

After all these years spent on this album the first two released songs have been completely underwhelming.

Backing singer is his ex-wife who responds to MK going (symbolic) so it's not that pointless... At least that was my interpretation..
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2024, 12:49:19 PM »
I must agree to dmg. The snippets from the video sounded promising and made me curious. Now that I heard the second track, I am not only underwhelmed but also my whole enthusiasm for the new album has suffered very much. I don't know if my expectations are really too high but with a catalogue like this, how should I not have high hopes for an album that took so long in the making?

LE
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 12:53:08 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2024, 12:53:22 PM »
I must agree to dmg. The snippets from the video sounded promising and made me curious. Now that I heard the second track, I am not only underwhelmed but also my whole enthusiasm for the whole album has suffered very much. I don't know if my expectations are really too high but with a catalogue like this, how should I not have high hopes for an album that took so long in the make?

LE

Sorry, but how is that possible? The complete song contains the same snippets you liked before, and suddenly your whole enthousiasm has suffered? My mind is blown...

Ofcourse it's all personal taste, and i believe you (no offense as well) but i don't understand it at all.

In my opinion the complete song is way nicer than just a 30 sec snippet. What did you expect then? A 3 minute ending solo a la Telegraph Road?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2024, 01:08:23 PM »
Clearly made with an AI separating tracks, an amazing acoustic version of WATCH ME GONE:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:12:11 PM by jbaent »
So Long

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2024, 01:09:33 PM »
And made by the same person, an extended version of the track:

So Long

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2024, 01:16:16 PM »
Better vocals, maybe a more original song structure of any kind, at least some  proper guitar playing, these are just not more than three note licks.. and some kind of "melody" maybe? Try to sing it, the only thing that stays in mind are these backing vocals and they are more like a parody in my ears. Sorry for moaning but I was asked what I expect. I learn today to expect nothing anymore obviously. Please no attacks for having an opinion, thank you.

LE

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2024, 01:18:15 PM »
And made by the same person, an extended version of the track:

Why would anyone extend this track anyway? It's too long already..

LE

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.