Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 20825 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #135 on: February 22, 2024, 06:01:17 PM »
sorry tor this trivia question that surely has been already answered :
background vocals are sung by "Topolski" right ?

but who are they ? sisters ?

thanks

Emma and Tamsin Topolski are the daughters of Polish traveler and reporter Daniel Topolski. Their grandfather, Feliks Topolski, was a famous painter and illustrator who lived and died in London.

thanks ?  :wave

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #136 on: February 22, 2024, 06:58:25 PM »
It's not a bad song per se, but we have heard it all before, several times. The musical ideas, the topics, the revisiting of the past. I don't know. Is a song like this really worth recording, never mind releasing as a single? For a man who's always taken pride in never looking back; it's a bit of a joke, really. And I agree about the backing vocals. Awful. If this song and Ahead are supposed to be the high points of this album, then One Deep River will get a hard pass from me.

And, yes, I am grumpy today  >:(

I have the same feelings about the two songs we already know: boring, lame and unispired. The new songs sound like b-sides from past records. Remember how evolutionary MK was from one straits album to the next... I mean, if you compare commique and making movies, it was bursting with freshness. Ok, now the man himself is over 70.

I still can't get used to the fact that MK tries to sing like art & garfunkel...and doesn't show off his extraordinary guitar skills. Today, he is primarily a songwriter and writing lots of tunes in which his instrument only plays an accompanying role.

And I have the feeling that some people here are thrilled by everything, no matter what MK puts out. Sorry ::)

I really hope the rest of the album and bonus songs will reach the level that we know and love... especially after waiting so long for it...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 07:05:51 PM by Leprechaun »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #137 on: February 22, 2024, 07:34:17 PM »
Well yeah, i think you live in the past.. comparing making movies with communique.. thats 45 years ago man...  ???

Whatever..
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2024, 07:50:09 PM »
I really hope the rest of the album and bonus songs will reach the level that we know and love... especially after waiting so long for it...

Don't be so positive

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2024, 08:11:27 PM »
What about this "whatever" in the lyrics all the time? What stylistic device is that?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #140 on: February 22, 2024, 08:12:37 PM »
Tell me what is the last song and guitarsolo you really liked. Maybe i should start a new thread about this question, im curious..

Question for everybody. Will split topic tomorrow, or delete this post if nobody answers  ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:25:59 PM by Dutchessy »
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2024, 08:43:58 PM »
What a touching and beautiful song.
Like others already mentioned before his first marriage came to my mind the first time I've listened. In any case it seems a very personal song. The mournful steel guitar underlines the all over sad atmosphere of this song perfectly.  I love it!
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #142 on: February 22, 2024, 08:57:44 PM »
Tell me what is the last song and guitarsolo you really liked. Maybe i should start a new thread about this question, im curious..

Question for everybody. Will split topic tomorrow, or delete this post if nobody answers  ;)

Good question.

The Scaffolder's Wife (Song and solo)
Punish The Monkey (solo)
So Far From The Clyde (guitar work over all)
Before Gas & TV (song)
Redbud Tree and Occupation Blues (songs and solos)
Seattle (Song)
Basil (song)
River Towns (song)
Silver Eagle (song)
Drovers Road (guitar work)
Pale Imitation (song and solo)

That's it.

LE
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 08:59:51 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
« Reply #143 on: February 22, 2024, 09:42:33 PM »
It's a great song.  :thumbsup

OnlineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #144 on: February 22, 2024, 09:49:35 PM »
Well call me crazy but I like this "stripped-down" AI version more than the actual version. I think it's safe to say Mark is overcomplicating things sometimes and not every song needs to be this orchestrated masterpiece with 20 people playing and requiring years of post-production. I love his singing voice so it would be nice to hear it more clear anyway. Moving microphones and tape is okay when it's not the main event. I'd sign the petition to make Mark's most personal songs more stripped-down.

Technology is impressive, though a bit scary as well. I like this version, but I really miss the lead guitar. I'm sure we would complain that it needed the band if he released it this way (or even with the lead guitar) ;D

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #145 on: February 22, 2024, 09:56:28 PM »
It's not a bad song per se, but we have heard it all before, several times. The musical ideas, the topics, the revisiting of the past. I don't know. Is a song like this really worth recording, never mind releasing as a single? For a man who's always taken pride in never looking back; it's a bit of a joke, really. And I agree about the backing vocals. Awful. If this song and Ahead are supposed to be the high points of this album, then One Deep River will get a hard pass from me.

And, yes, I am grumpy today  >:(

I have the same feelings about the two songs we already know: boring, lame and unispired. The new songs sound like b-sides from past records. Remember how evolutionary MK was from one straits album to the next... I mean, if you compare commique and making movies, it was bursting with freshness. Ok, now the man himself is over 70.

I still can't get used to the fact that MK tries to sing like art & garfunkel...and doesn't show off his extraordinary guitar skills. Today, he is primarily a songwriter and writing lots of tunes in which his instrument only plays an accompanying role.

And I have the feeling that some people here are thrilled by everything, no matter what MK puts out. Sorry ::)

It's ok not to like the song, but to expect from a 74 year-old man the same level of freshness or complex songwriting as in 1979/1980 is just unrealistic.
Regarding the guitar skills, I don't know if you've followed Mark's career since 2015, but his "extraordinary guitar skills" are gone and not coming back.

I think you're disappointed because you've set your expectations too high. That used to be the case with me too, until I realized the years go by too fast and I'm just happy that he's still putting out new albums. As I don't know how much more of Mark we'll have, that is enough for me.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2024, 10:26:59 PM »

There are several songs I like on all Mark's albums, even the ones I like "least", like DTRW, KTGC, and ATRR.  As far as a proper "solo", I guess maybe This Is Us?    Can't really name one more recent.  I still enjoy Mark's playing though, even if it's just phrases and fills rather than blinding solos.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #147 on: February 22, 2024, 10:44:06 PM »
To me this song is a real beauty to cherish. I think is to be appreciated that this man who is past his retirement age and has to deal with obvious and increasingly limited physical abilities is still making great efforts to write and record songs. At the same time that doesn’t mean anything he does is good anyhow, but if you’d expect every new track to his best ever and/or very energetic with long and/or fast guitar solos one must be living in some other universe.
To me this song combines beautiful sounds, a nice melody and deep meaningful personal lyrics, which altogether makes it an emotionally touching piece. To me this is the essence of music and therefore more than good enough. What more could one ask for.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 10:48:46 PM by mschaap »

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2024, 10:46:31 PM »

The last remarkable solos I can think of are from Boom, like that. Mark used to tell stories with his guitar an that’s a good one. After that… song is king.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2024, 11:21:37 PM »
There are so many great solos since Privateering too.. Go Love is one of my favourite ones! And besides, who needs or even expects „extraordinary guitar skills“, even when MK is playing just small licks or even single notes it still touches me emotionally.. same now for Watch Me Gone :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.