Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (8) Watch me gone  (Read 20918 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: (8) Watch me gone
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2024, 12:32:05 AM »
This is the power of suggestion:) And I can't stop thinking that it might be about David.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2024, 01:00:40 AM »
That's not going to be an easy song to strum. It heavily relies on thumb over the top and tricky sus2 voicings, the song reminds me of "Wherever I Go" guitar-wise, and also a little bit of "Everybody Pays" (coincidentally, another "homage" to David). Somebody already uploaded simple chords for the song on Ultimate Guitar, here's my version: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark-knopfler/watch-me-gone-chords-5156620

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2024, 01:19:29 AM »
listened, nice sound but no melody so will unlikely be on my regular MK playlist.

OfflineBeryl

• Guitar George
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2024, 01:29:13 AM »
A good song indeed, IMHO. At last. Definitely one of his best songs since 2015. Some of the customary autoplagiarism (musical sections stolen from River Towns, Seattle and Wherever I Go), but also some original chord changes worked out and great melody lines and singing. And the arrangement is beautiful, including his guitar. And dark and intriguing lyrics. Very good stuff overall

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2024, 02:11:27 AM »
I have trouble with this one and hesitate to listen to it on repeat as I usually do with new songs. The way he sings it sounds somehow as if he  has too many words or syllables to make it sound smoothly rhyming, somehow stumbling through it. His vocals sound as tired and weak as in Follow The Ribbon. Musically, we have heard it all in the 30 seconds of the  snippet and the remaining 4 minutes add nothing interesting to it.

I think it's about Ruth, his sister who died in 2020.

LE
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:13:53 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2024, 02:28:10 AM »

And the hopscotch traces, well, you can still see 'em here
The chalk lines faded and unclear
Time for me to disappear
Put my old boots back on, whatever

The same boots as he refers to in Pale Imitation, also the same house? How can these chalk lines still be visible after 60 years or more?

My question might sound stupid but since DTRW I detect a certain lack of clarity in his lyrics. I know that it's sort of poetry and not the news but he always had a way with words that was totally on point and always nailed it but in the lyrics of late he lost that somehow.

LE
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 02:37:47 AM by Love Expresso »

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2024, 02:35:20 AM »
Very sad song, very sad memories. The music fits perfectly.
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2024, 02:38:32 AM »

And the hopscotch traces, well, you can still see 'em here
The chalk lines faded and unclear
Time for me to disappear
Put my old boots back on, whatever

The same boots as he refers to in Pale Imitation, also the same house? How can these chalk lines still be visible after 60 years or more?

My question might sound stupid but since DTRW I detect a certain lack of clarity in his lyrics. I know that it's sort of poetry and not the news but he always had a way with words that was totally on point and always nailed it but in the lyrics of late he lost that somehow.

LE

I also thought about Pale Imitation.
Clear as the day

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2024, 02:48:23 AM »
I have trouble with this one and hesitate to listen to it on repeat as I usually do with new songs. The way he sings it sounds somehow as if he  has too many words or syllables to make it sound smoothly rhyming, somehow stumbling through it. His vocals sound as tired and weak as in Follow The Ribbon. Musically, we have heard it all in the 30 seconds of the  snippet and the remaining 4 minutes add nothing interesting to it.

I think it's about Ruth, his sister who died in 2020.

LE

Yep, sounds all over the place in the verses. I'm surprised people are talking about the great melody, I don't hear it, just another dreary miserable song. It's almost chord for chord the same Seattle without the nice Hank Marvin bits.

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2024, 05:49:25 AM »
I like everything about this song apart from the backing vocals, not at all to my taste and sounds immediately dated. I guess they (GF and MK) thought the song needed something to lift it, but it doesn't need it.  Autobiographical lyrics from the heart and great musicality.

OnlineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2024, 07:01:17 AM »
Reading the lyrics I have the feeling it it about his first marriage.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2024, 07:37:54 AM »

I also had the same feeling when read the first part of the lyrics, but the second part made me think about David, and then, about leaving the band behind for a solo career.

Maybe it's just about all the things he had to left behind during his life pursuing his dream, so it's about all that I mentioned.

However, most of the lines made me think about the first marriage more than the rest of things.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2024, 07:40:21 AM by jbaent »
So Long

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2024, 07:45:01 AM »

That was an idea I had, too. I also thought about the woman he was trying to visit in Laughs & Jokes & Drinks & Smokes.

So many options so far..shouldn't the lyrics make clear who it is about or shouldn't they give hints that we can work it out? Remember, this is where the Get-A-Lifers meet who seem to know everything about him. How should the non-fan casual listener ever work out what the song is about? That's something I have trouble with in his lyrics since let's say Tracker...

LE

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2024, 07:49:29 AM »

That was an idea I had, too. I also thought about the woman he was trying to visit in Laughs & Jokes & Drinks & Smokes.

So many options so far..shouldn't the lyrics make clear who it is about or shouldn't they give hints that we can work it out? Remember, this is where the Get-A-Lifers meet who seem to know everything about him. How should the non-fan casual listener ever work out what the song is about? That's something I have trouble with in his lyrics since let's say Tracker...

LE

He uses to say that he likes that people makes the song whatever want to be, but also he sometimes explains what's some songs about...

I'd say that in general this song might be more about everything he had to leave behind for his dream, it might be his first wife, it might be his family, his brother, his old band mates, after my N time listening to the song, I got the impression that it's more like that, a general idea of everything he left behind, more than one concrete theme.
So Long

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2024, 07:56:47 AM »
This is one of those songs that need to be listened to quite a few times - it didn't grab me immediately, but those are the songs that stay,
 rather than those that are liked instantly.  This song is definitely a grower and I like it more and more with each listen.  Mark's guitar is beautiful all through the song.   I think it's about Mark's first marriage as others have said.
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 39 queries.