Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27268 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #210 on: January 29, 2024, 09:10:38 PM »
Pretty boring studio bound B&W fare.  Very similar to previous videos since Boom Like That.

Nah to the boring comment dmg - behave yourself! At least we've a video at long last!

Exactly :)

We need two forums — for optimists/idealists and sceptics/realists :lol

And one for those who just cannot help moaning!!!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2024, 09:11:24 PM »
I don't know if the guitar nerds around here have noticed that Mark's Ahead Of The Game strat tone is very "chorusy". Very similar to the Sultans tone from the first Straits record.

Of course, he is using a different guitar and pickups.
But, the main thing, is very similar.

Heavy Chorus with a smidge of tremelo tone I'd say...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2024, 09:14:54 PM »
I don't know if I balance it by being a former camper on the positive side, at least some times, then over to the negative, and back again, and now I just feel...empty. Today, after not listening to the song during the weekend and not feeling like listening to it again, I thought what is wrong with me. Now we have a video! That itself should make me so happy! Instead I feel annoyed(!) and sad at the same time by the riff and the drums and the rythm.

Don't feel bad about it. We all grow older, and I perfectly understand that nothing will ever change about our MK, he's stopped "experimenting" since probably 2004 and solidified his formula in stone since he got his studio, and now it's been nearly 20 years of nearly identical-sounding albums and same old MK, so your lack of excitement is understandable. If Mark was granted immortality, I'm sure he'd be able to live with this formula forever with no problem, he has reached peak Knopfler.

With this said, he is a genius songwriter and guitar player, and while "Ahead Of The Game" is not exactly a genius song, even with all my negativity I know for a fact — there'll be greater songs, there'll be something for anyone, there'll be magic and classic Knopfler. You can't go wrong with this guy, just curb your expectations, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. The best way not to be disappointed is not to have any expectations in the first place.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2024, 09:45:03 PM »
I have this riff in my head all the time.

Funny, me too! I woke up this morning with it and still have it in my head.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2024, 10:01:31 PM »

:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2024, 10:11:14 PM »
Heavy Chorus with a smidge of tremelo tone I'd say...

Technically speaking, i'll go a bit far.
I think there is no chorus, but a mirrored vibrato.
Two amps, one dry and the other one on 'vibrato mode'
To my ears, there are 2 reverbs (a short plate and an ambience one)
or... a very discrete slapback delay plus a reverb. Both placed on post-production.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2024, 10:48:10 PM »

:)

Hi guys!  I really like the riff, especially with this rock'n'roll rhythm which I appreciate a lot.  He hasn't released a single with this upbeat beat since Cannibals.  I like it a lot and it's quite catchy and... danceable. :)

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2024, 06:59:20 AM »
The song is growing on me, even the not-so-interesting solo, but it is a very average song. Strange choice for a single.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2024, 07:43:21 AM »
About the video clip of this song...

Yesterday Guy said that the single was chosen by the record company, also he said before than these scenes were filmed a year ago, so, I think they must had mimed a certain amount of songs just in case any of them could had been the single.
So Long

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2024, 08:57:05 AM »
The song is growing on me, even the not-so-interesting solo, but it is a very average song. Strange choice for a single.

Maybe it is an average album and this is the best one on it.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2024, 09:01:35 AM »
The song has been going around in my head since I first heard it.  It's an earworm - love the riff!!    As dmg has said it looks like he's wearing the same shirt as he wore on RLRR - it was far too big then, but now it fits him!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2024, 10:30:31 AM »
With this said, he is a genius songwriter and guitar player, and while "Ahead Of The Game" is not exactly a genius song, even with all my negativity I know for a fact — there'll be greater songs, there'll be something for anyone, there'll be magic and classic Knopfler. You can't go wrong with this guy, just curb your expectations, hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. The best way not to be disappointed is not to have any expectations in the first place.

Totally agree. I was very disappointed with the release of Down The Road Wherever. Some songs I literally hated (Rear View Mirror), others I found 'ruined' by some sounds that seemed out of place (Back on the Dance Floor, Good on You Son, Trapper Man). It remains Mark's weakest album for me, but some gems have grown over time and it is not uncommon for me to put the CD on just for these. Matchstick Man moves me every time, and not only because of the precise meaning given to it during the 2019 tour, When you live is poignant and perfect throughout, One song at a time is the first one that struck me, and although with a few "flaws" here and there, it remains a great song, Drover's Road represents Mark's ability to tell beautiful stories to listen to, with simple words and a few chords.
I have good feelings about One Deep River, I like Ahead Of The Game despite its simplicity, but I'm sure it won't be one of the ones I'll be looking for in the album. Mark's 21 new tracks are a godsend and among them I will find, in time, my 'pearls', just as everyone here will find theirs. On this Mark has never let us down.
www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

OfflinePensativo

• Guitar George
« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2024, 10:48:27 AM »
Another one in the line of Matchstick man, One song at a time or even Pale imitation. Or Floating away if you want. Tons of self looking, rather than introspection. Being a Spaniard, lyrics meaning does not bang in my head as much as on  an english spoken person, so I pay more attention to music. Hmmm, nice song but honestly I admit it´s one of the less good of the album.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2024, 10:51:40 AM »
Another one in the line of Matchstick man, One song at a time or even Pale imitation. Or Floating away if you want. Tons of self looking, rather than introspection. Being a Spaniard, lyrics meaning does not bang in my head as much as on  an english spoken person, so I pay more attention to music. Hmmm, nice song but honestly I admit it´s one of the less good of the album.

How do you know? Heard it already?

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2024, 11:13:45 AM »
Mark's words about this songs apperaed on different media, like this one:

https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=108264

"that all goes back to bands playing live. in some way, i was thinking about nashville, because when i first went out there, it must have been in the early '80s and all the bands in the bars downtown were playing the hits. and that's fine. what i was trying to say is that's an achievement to actually get to a place  where you've got employment, and you've got yourself a gig. i mean, statistically, what are  the odds of making it? if you stopped to think about that, you'd hardly take a step further, would you?"
So Long

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 39 queries.