Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27290 times)

OfflineIron Hand

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2024, 10:19:49 AM »
And the DTRW was, in my opinion, a failture in terms of engeneering, mixing and mastering. If the main role is to talk about that, there are a LOT of week/poor sounds on that record.
I can't agree with that in the slightest. I think it sounds wonderful. And DS have been notable for their clean studio sound from the beginning, only when Mark went solo, did the quality go south a bit by catering to the loudness war (Golden Heart, STP and Shangri-La are all more limited dynamically than they need to be - though the production itself is very good), but his more recent ones sound nicely dynamic again.
MK's records were always audiophile reference standard all the way back to the early 80s.

That didn't mean I didn't also enjoy them on my Sanyo personal cassette player with cheap headphones.
Agree.
And it's the second track on the album. A very important spot I think, earlier occupied with songs like "Basil", "Haul Away", "Boom, Like That", "The Scaffolder's Wife", "On Every Street", etc. And now the second tracks are "Back on the Dance Floor" and "Ahead of the Game". Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
Unfortunately, "Basil" still does nothing for me and sinks Tracker IMVHO, whereas I love "Back on the Dance Floor". Make of that what you will.

Still haven't made up my mind about "Ahead of the Game", but so far I can't say it impresses me like "Good On You Son" did, which I really felt was a breath of fresh air at the time (though I find the radio edit missing some great bits now).
"I don't know how you came to get the Bette Davis kneeees"

OfflineWhy Aye Man

• Guitar George
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
It's Newcastle :)

I had my doubts if was London or not.
But, it reflects how poor is the album cover.
Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

Could be any bridge??  That's an insult to us Geordies.  It's one of the most iconic bridges in the UK and its bloody marvellous  :)
I am a Geordie boy

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2024, 10:41:23 AM »
Unfortunately, "Basil" still does nothing for me and sinks Tracker IMVHO, whereas I love "Back on the Dance Floor". Make of that what you will.

Still haven't made up my mind about "Ahead of the Game", but so far I can't say it impresses me like "Good On You Son" did, which I really felt was a breath of fresh air at the time (though I find the radio edit missing some great bits now).

I think one could fall in love with Basil (the song, not the man) by just reading the lines like "Poets have to eat as well", "What he wouldn't give just to walk out today / To have time to think about time", "Bury all joy / Put the poems in sacks / And bury me here with the hacks", "Basil puts on his old duffel and scarf / And goes out into the dark."

I mean just reading this gives me chills, and I'm not even a native English speaker. But on top of that, you get Mark's beautiful vocals, usual guitar brilliance, and perfect production. I can't understand how somebody can not like a song like this. It's incredibly atmospheric and hands down one of the best songs on the Tracker album, if not the best. Maybe you are just not a fan of slow ballads. If you are, then give it another shot.

"Back on the Dance Floor" is also a great song, but its greatness lies definitely not in words, more like in landscapes painted with the music, with this very Bryan Ferry/Steely Dan sound, like something recorded in the mid-80s, and this backing vocals and effects. So Basil is more like a song for the heart, and Dance Floor a song for the body if it makes sense. Same with "Ahead of the Game"... It's catchy, uptempo, moves your body, like a single should.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2024, 10:42:28 AM »
Boswell guitars used a random bridge on their MK model, could be any bridge ;)

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #154 on: January 26, 2024, 10:43:39 AM »

I think one could fall in love with Basil (the song, not the man) by just reading the lines like "Poets have to eat as well", "What he wouldn't give just to walk out today / To have time to think about time", "Bury all joy / Put the poems in sacks / And bury me here with the hacks", "Basil puts on his old duffel and scarf / And goes out into the dark."

I mean just reading this gives me chills, and I'm not even a native English speaker. But on top of that, you get Mark's beautiful vocals, usual guitar brilliance, and perfect production. I can't understand how somebody can not like a song like this. It's incredibly atmospheric and hands down one of the best songs on the Tracker album, if not the best. Maybe you are just not a fan of slow ballads. If you are, then give it another shot.

"Back on the Dance Floor" is also a great song, but its greatness lies definitely not in words, more like in landscapes painted with the music, with this very Bryan Ferry/Steely Dan sound, like something recorded in the mid-80s, and this backing vocals and effects. So Basil is more like a song for the heart, and Dance Floor a song for the body if it makes sense. Same with "Ahead of the Game"... It's catchy, uptempo, moves your body, like a single should.

100%. Music causes different emotions at different times. You're not going to dance to Basil but for me it's one of MK's greatest achievements as a songwriter.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2024, 10:51:20 AM »
Boswell guitars used a random bridge on their MK model, could be any bridge ;)

I'm terribly sorry, and I don't know where to talk about it... But don't you think this bridge should be a little bit more... centred inside this 12th fret on a Boswell acoustic? Like in the picture attached? What it is about this bridge that it suddenly makes everybody drunk and forget about symmetry and aesthetics? Unbelievable.

The idea was probably that a fret underneath the bridge is like a river, but support beams don't touch the fret on a finished guitar! The arc of the bridge is heavily off-centre, making this whole structure very hard to look at. I swear, if I bought this guitar, the first thing I would do is take it to the luthier and move the inlay.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 11:14:20 AM by quizzaciously »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2024, 11:12:39 AM »
I think you have OCD :) To be fair, that's probably why you work so hard on getting the details of MK's guitar solos right.

I'm a sloppy slob and can't play any of MK's solos exactly, so OCD for the win!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2024, 11:20:42 AM »
It's Newcastle :)

I had my doubts if was London or not.
But, it reflects how poor is the album cover.
Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

Could be any bridge??  That's an insult to us Geordies.  It's one of the most iconic bridges in the UK and its bloody marvellous  :)

Yes, I beg Rolo's pardon but that sentence only shows ignorance...

It's a mythical bridge!

The cover picture is wonderful, and links perfect with Mk and the title.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #158 on: January 26, 2024, 11:27:56 AM »
I think you have OCD :) To be fair, that's probably why you work so hard on getting the details of MK's guitar solos right.

I'm a sloppy slob and can't play any of MK's solos exactly, so OCD for the win!

Yes, I do have OCD and I love it, it's one of my favourite things in the world. For me, it's not a mental disorder, more like a blessing, it matches my personality perfectly. I wash my hands constantly, barely leave fingerprints anywhere, and surely notice details about everything that nobody in their right mind would notice.

I think my OCD is a pretty mild one, as I'm comfortable and not suffering from depression or anything like that, and with many things, I just don't care. Like I don't care if I have a fender bender in my car and the bumper is slightly damaged, and fingerprints on the guitar are inevitable.

But this supposedly last MK's album, and this ultra-luxury boutique masterbuilt guitar that costs a fortune and there are only two dozen made... I don't know, I hope at least they thought about it or tried to centre out things a little bit, or else it's some outstanding carelessness, regardless of OCD or not.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2024, 12:06:31 PM »

Yes, I beg Rolo's pardon but that sentence only shows ignorance...

It's a mythical bridge!

The cover picture is wonderful, and links perfect with Mk and the title.

Ok.
As i said, makes more sense now.
Its a very important bridge for the Geordies and reflects a very important part for MK....

But, i keep my opinion about the album cover.
Sorry about that, people

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #160 on: January 26, 2024, 12:26:52 PM »

Perfect comment. I agree.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2024, 12:38:06 PM »
Sorry about that, people

Don't worry Rolo, we are all just having fun with you :)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:34 PM »
I still remember the words of Danny Cummings that jbaent quoted that Mark was exceptionally brave on this album. He certainly wasn't thinking about Ahead Of The Game. I think the album will have some surprises.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2024, 01:10:04 PM »
Sorry about that, people

Don't worry Rolo, we are all just having fun with you :)

I know.  ;D

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2024, 01:23:42 PM »

Oh yes, Basil, fantastic song. You only forgot Ruth Moody's voice adding some sweetness to it!
There are some days where think Tracker is Mark's best album, surpassing even STP. I suppose you have to get into a certain mood to truly enjoy it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.