Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27276 times)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2024, 09:25:21 PM »
This might be the last record, just as the last tour was the final one ever.

By returning to Newcastle with lyrics, the title, the artwork and all it seems to complete the full circle.

This is probably a record where MK is giving his 11 out of 10. The release got rescheduled. He probably wrote another couple of tunes.

I truly hope this will be among his best work ever.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2024, 09:29:56 PM »
...but it's Mark Knopfler's way"

and has to be true

Yeah... It's like on Jim Morrison's grave his dad made an inscription that says "true to his own spirit" in Greek. Apparently, Jim's spirit told him to kill himself at 27 and give a huge FU to the world that desperately wanted to hear more music and read more poetry from the man, but that's the thing with truly creative people. They are always riding on their own radio wave, and always nuts in one way or another.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2024, 09:33:28 PM »
"All Dire Straits albums sound MUCH better than anything from British Grove"

I can not agree. Not all. Love Over Gold, Brothers in Arms and On Every Street are recorded too quietly. Remastered versions too

The opposite is true. They are perfect. Since then, almost everything is recorded too loud. Love Over Gold has reference standard.

LE

LE is exactly right here. Go read up on the loudness wars to find out why.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2024, 09:38:07 PM »
Someone's not walking very well....

https://youtube.com/shorts/miWcAmIcLbY?feature=shared

It gives me pain to see it. He is having pain constantly it seems. And he looks so sad these days. I wish the photographer would have shouted "cheeeese"....

I like his coat though.

LE

Sadly, people age and Mark is no different. It isn’t really any of our business. Whatever may or may not be ailing him, the fact is that he is still enjoying writing his songs, getting together with his band and recording them. And still doing it extremely effectively. He was certainly in good spirits at the Christie’s interview. As long as he is content in what he is doing, then that is the most important thing.

Yes and I wasn't critizising that or him in any way, I was just trying to express my compassion if that is the right word. I follow him since 1985, I got older (14 then, 52 today) together with him, and sometimes I think there are few people who I know better than MK. So it cannot be unseen and I had to express that. Of course you are right about what is his business and what is ours.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2024, 09:41:45 PM »
 I follow him since 1985, I got older (14 then, 52 today) together with him, and sometimes I think there are few people who I know better than MK.

Me since 1989:)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2024, 09:42:14 PM »

It gives me pain to see it. He is having pain constantly it seems. And he looks so sad these days. I wish the photographer would have shouted "cheeeese"....

I like his coat though.

LE

Yes, so very sad to see isn't it LE...The coat is dapper, and I absolutely love his 'Bakers boys' cap!

<3 <3 Aging sucks  :-\ Still some people refuse to see the truth. I love his coat too! And agreed again Quizzy about the sound at BG and the struggle to find something perfect that in fact can be too much and ruin the whole thing (I could say "agreed!" to most your posts)

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2024, 11:08:53 PM »

To be fair, he has been limping like this since the Cesena 2018 event. He kind of limped out of stage during the first concerts of the 2019 tour. I don't think it's something new

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2024, 11:14:08 PM »

I like his coat though.

LE

Sadly, people age and Mark is no different. It isn’t really any of our business. Whatever may or may not be ailing him, the fact is that he is still enjoying writing his songs, getting together with his band and recording them. And still doing it extremely effectively. He was certainly in good spirits at the Christie’s interview. As long as he is content in what he is doing, then that is the most important thing.

Yes and I wasn't critizising that or him in any way, I was just trying to express my compassion if that is the right word. I follow him since 1985, I got older (14 then, 52 today) together with him, and sometimes I think there are few people who I know better than MK. So it cannot be unseen and I had to express that. Of course you are right about what is his business and what is ours.

LE

Fair comment. Mark’s music has been a huge part of my life too for decades now. Each album has been a marker of where I was and what I was doing at the time, and I have to admit myself - even though I don’t think his music making days are by any means over - both the guitar auction and the announcement of the new record without a tour have brought the realisation that there is less music ahead of us than there is behind into much sharper focus. For that reason, I think there will be an extra emotional level where One Deep River is concerned.

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2024, 11:31:20 PM »
I agree that it’s a bit sad for us long time fans to see that his getting old and having health issues and that he doesn’t make the kind of music we used to like. But I find it a bit harsh to criticize him for that. I guess he is just trying to have a good time and a good life, spend some time in the studio, making songs and records, moving around microphones, drinking cofee, getting new guitars, selling the old ones etc. I think he is not struggling to achieve things or trying anything hard at all. I don’t agree that he is trying to achieve optimal sound or the perfect mic position. (Most other musicians do, though.) He has the best equipement at hand at all times and mostly just plug and play. I guess everything has become (too) easy. I don’t think he is ambitious at all anymore. And I absolutely don’t blame him. It must be a great life doing what you love the most. But I guess that’s why his music sounds the way it does and has done for some years.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 11:33:44 PM by Mossguitar »

OfflineBeryl

• Guitar George
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2024, 11:36:52 PM »
This songwriter / singer life vignette that we have in these lyrics of AOTG is definitely not very special and it had a much better treatment, i.e., in Precious Voice from Heaven, which was, by the way, a better all around song overall IMHO.
In a positive note, I really like the AOTG lovely little guitar solo. It is quite original in its own terms, well played and not totally autopilot-generated.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2024, 11:45:52 PM »
I agree that it’s a bit sad for us long time fans to see that his getting old and having health issues and that he doesn’t make the kind og music we used to like. But I find it a bit harsh to criticize him for that. I guess he is just trying to have a good time and a good life, spend some time in the studio, making songs and records, moving around microphones, drinking cofee, getting new guitars, selling the old ones etc. I think he is not struggling to achieve things or trying anything hard at all. I don’t agree that he is trying to achieve optimal sound or the perfect mic position. (Most other musicians do, though.) He has the best equipement at hand at all times and mostly just plug and play. I guess everything has become (too) easy. I don’t think he is ambitious at all anymore. And I absolutely don’t blame him. It must be a great life doing what you love the most. But I guess that’s why his music sounds the way it does and has done for some years.

Absolutely. In a world where old stars are resurrecting their money-earning old bands all the time, trying to record new hip young people music in their elderly, recording old songs or Mark forbid, cover albums all the time, having plastic surgery, going nuts, verging into politics and other questionable domains, it's refreshing to see somebody who's at nearly 75 still quietly doing his thing, and good at that.

However, like I said, Mark is a human being and it's still his job, a dream job that is, and he lives in heaven compared to 99.9999999999999999% of people in the world, and he deserves all this, but a little bit of criticism and questions from people would not hurt either. Mark is undoubtedly a little bit lazy, a little bit disconnected from his fans, a little bit old-school in a bad way, and has a ton of other imperfections.

We just observe all that, complain about bad things, or celebrate good ones. The world is in perfect balance.

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2024, 12:28:20 AM »
I agree that it’s a bit sad for us long time fans to see that his getting old and having health issues and that he doesn’t make the kind og music we used to like. But I find it a bit harsh to criticize him for that. I guess he is just trying to have a good time and a good life, spend some time in the studio, making songs and records, moving around microphones, drinking cofee, getting new guitars, selling the old ones etc. I think he is not struggling to achieve things or trying anything hard at all. I don’t agree that he is trying to achieve optimal sound or the perfect mic position. (Most other musicians do, though.) He has the best equipement at hand at all times and mostly just plug and play. I guess everything has become (too) easy. I don’t think he is ambitious at all anymore. And I absolutely don’t blame him. It must be a great life doing what you love the most. But I guess that’s why his music sounds the way it does and has done for some years.

Absolutely. In a world where old stars are resurrecting their money-earning old bands all the time, trying to record new hip young people music in their elderly, recording old songs or Mark forbid, cover albums all the time, having plastic surgery, going nuts, verging into politics and other questionable domains, it's refreshing to see somebody who's at nearly 75 still quietly doing his thing, and good at that.

However, like I said, Mark is a human being and it's still his job, a dream job that is, and he lives in heaven compared to 99.9999999999999999% of people in the world, and he deserves all this, but a little bit of criticism and questions from people would not hurt either. Mark is undoubtedly a little bit lazy, a little bit disconnected from his fans, a little bit old-school in a bad way, and has a ton of other imperfections.

We just observe all that, complain about bad things, or celebrate good ones. The world is in perfect balance.
Absolutely! Nothing wrong with that :) I wouldn’t call it his job, though, more a hobby. I don’t think he has had to work since mid 80ies.

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2024, 12:46:52 AM »
I did quite like the new single,

I like a lot of people immediately noticed the similarity to "Car was the one"

It is an interesting choice for a single definitely. I'm guessing it may be because it features a slight DS sound and a guitar hook, which is very much MK's branding.

I actually loved Tracker and DTRW , in terms of songwriting I thought there were some fantastic songs on both. I'm so very curious to see how this album sounds. The guitar playing does seem stiff on the single in my opinion so i'm very curious how much there is and how much it features on the rest of the album.

Production wise, I feel like since Guy has taken over it's become a lot more "Live". It seems like they opt for strong performances rather than super slick production. They've he adds keys/synths to colour it up. I think that works sometimes, for instance I think laughs and jokes on tracker sounds incredible it has space to breathe and the sounds are fantastic. Other tracks however like "trapper man" and "good on you son" sound muddy and unnecessarily cluttered.

Is any of this bad? Not really. I'm amazed that MK is still cranking out albums, as someone said quietly doing what he does. MK at the very least will always have an album with a handful of good/great songs on it. That is amazingly consistent for an artist going as long as he has. I won't judge the whole album in advance. I am super excited to hear it. As I mentioned i've loved the last 2 albums (although SL is my favourite!) so I hope it continues in that fashion.

Amazing how time flies, I remember thinking it was absurd the years difference between GH and STP. And in that time he did 2 soundtracks! Now 5 years seemed to come and go so fast.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2024, 08:46:13 AM »
Yes, the riff is pretty cool. Quite remarkable how he's created such a hook with just 7 notes and an equal amount of slurs. I even transcribed it already (sorry, I can't help it): https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark-knopfler/ahead-of-the-game-chords-5118550

The riff is indeed very easy and "slippery" or "smooth" is a better word. The solo is also simple and I like it.

Thanks for the Tab!!

Cheers! You're welcome. Though I realised I made a mistake in the tab, I think it's supposed to be two open strings (1st and 2nd) in the middle of the riff, this way you don't change the hand position until the slide part and it sounds better. I don't know how I missed it but in music nothing is obvious. I'm also hearing more notes there, so soon I'll probably find an even better way to play.

Onlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2024, 08:59:37 AM »
I agree that it’s a bit sad for us long time fans to see that his getting old and having health issues and that he doesn’t make the kind of music we used to like. But I find it a bit harsh to criticize him for that. I guess he is just trying to have a good time and a good life, spend some time in the studio, making songs and records, moving around microphones, drinking cofee, getting new guitars, selling the old ones etc. I think he is not struggling to achieve things or trying anything hard at all. I don’t agree that he is trying to achieve optimal sound or the perfect mic position. (Most other musicians do, though.) He has the best equipement at hand at all times and mostly just plug and play. I guess everything has become (too) easy. I don’t think he is ambitious at all anymore. And I absolutely don’t blame him. It must be a great life doing what you love the most. But I guess that’s why his music sounds the way it does and has done for some years.

Making record has become a pleasant pastime for him. Money is no issue, he gets to play with his favorite toys, meet up with friends, who happen to be world-class musicians. No stress, no pressure. I also don't blame him, and he deserves it all, but I don't think it generates amazing art. And I feel it's been like this even before his health started failing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 39 queries.