Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27257 times)

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2024, 08:06:00 PM »
I have listened to the song several times over the last two days, and sorry, but it does nothing for me.  Lyrically and musically it just falls flat.  Sounds like a b-side.  I'm sure (I hope?) there will be better tracks on the album.

The whole "life of a musician" subject matter is wearing thin for me, also.

I have the same impression since first listening.

In an excellent MK record, this one would be left out.

In a very good MK record, this song would be a track in the bonus lp in the deluxe box.

In a good MK record, this song would be a filler, a song you add because you have nothing better.

I'm not saying is bad, I'm saying is very plain and despite is nice, is nothing to call home about.

I truly hope the rest of the record and bonus tracks are better.

And it's the second track on the album. A very important spot I think, earlier occupied with songs like "Basil", "Haul Away", "Boom, Like That", "The Scaffolder's Wife", "On Every Street", etc. And now the second tracks are "Back on the Dance Floor" and "Ahead of the Game". Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

When I listen  to  other people's albums, I often think that they sound so good .. Dylan's albums Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and the older Oh Mercy exceptionally good, and many others. It is done with being a given, total naturally and no fuzz about it. With Mark and Guy, this fixation on making the best, highest quality sounding record and all this ado appears inhibited and unprofessional although they wish to appear the opposite. It is true that I never find the high recording quality that Guy always mentioned apart from maybe in Tracker and even the new vinyls from STP and TRD.

It seems there is a huge difference between the work and the ears of the likes of Daniel Lanois and Chuck Ainlay compared to Guy Fletcher. It is almost a pity just thinking what could have happened with the last albums in hands of a "real" producer.

All Dire Straits albums sound MUCH better than anything from British Grove. I don't know what they are doing wrong. Maybe it is just my hearing.

LE
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:09:55 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2024, 08:10:23 PM »

When I listen  to  other people's albums, I often think that they sound so good .. Dylan's albums Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and the older Oh Mercy exceptionally good, and many others. It is done with being a given, total naturally and no fuzz about it. With Mark and Guy, this fixation on making the best, highest quality sounding record and all this ado appears inhibited and unprofessional although they wish to appear the opposite. It is true that I never find the high recording quslity that Guy slways mentioned apart from Tracker and even the new vinyls from STP and TRD.

It seems there isxa huge difference between the work and the ears of the likes of Daniel Lanois and Chuck Ainlay compared to Guy Fletcher. It is almost a pity just thinking what could have happened with the last albums in hands of a "real" producer.

All Dire Straits albums sound MUCH better than anything from British Grove. I don't know what they are doing wrong. Maybe it is just my hearing.

LE

Agreed!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2024, 08:14:52 PM »
"All Dire Straits albums sound MUCH better than anything from British Grove"

I can not agree. Not all. Love Over Gold, Brothers in Arms and On Every Street are recorded too quietly. Remastered versions too
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2024, 08:21:09 PM »

I can not agree. Not all. Love Over Gold, Brothers in Arms and On Every Street are recorded too quietly. Remastered versions too

Agreed!
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2024, 08:22:27 PM »

The opposite is true. They are perfect. Since then, almost everything is recorded too loud. Love Over Gold has reference standard.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2024, 08:30:17 PM »
It's Newcastle :)

I had my doubts if was London or not.
But, it reflects how poor is the album cover.
Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW
Thats a shame as I think t's a great album cover and its very distinctly Newcastle! London does not have bridges like those across the Thames!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:38:39 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2024, 08:31:56 PM »

When I listen  to  other people's albums, I often think that they sound so good .. Dylan's albums Time Out Of Mind, Love And Theft and the older Oh Mercy exceptionally good, and many others. It is done with being a given, total naturally and no fuzz about it. With Mark and Guy, this fixation on making the best, highest quality sounding record and all this ado appears inhibited and unprofessional although they wish to appear the opposite. It is true that I never find the high recording quslity that Guy slways mentioned apart from Tracker and even the new vinyls from STP and TRD.

It seems there isxa huge difference between the work and the ears of the likes of Daniel Lanois and Chuck Ainlay compared to Guy Fletcher. It is almost a pity just thinking what could have happened with the last albums in hands of a "real" producer.

LE

Agreed!

Yeah, amen to that... I know some of us are pretty harsh on Guy sometimes, however, Mark is also a producer, and Guy just seems to be looking in the same direction (and never looking back of course). The producer dictates how the record will sound, that's why we had a notorious "wall of sound" back then and other good or bad techniques.

With Mark and Guy, it really feels like a never-ending race to the best-sounding record, and everybody who recorded something in their life knows how damn hard it is to record something flawlessly. Dire Straits records are so different because they were recorded everywhere. Almost every album is done in a new studio. Basing Street, Compass Point, Power Station, AIR Montserrat, AIR Studios Oxford Street.

The problem with all post-BG albums is that nothing really changes. Musicians are all the same, guitars are the same, and the studio is the same. The only difference was Chuck Ainlay co-producing and then switching to Guy co-producing. How it affected Mark's albums is up for discussion, but judging by A LOT of complaints it doesn't seem like it affected it in a good way. It's remarkable how having your studio can be such an advantage and disadvantage at the same time.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2024, 08:33:48 PM »
Your last paragraph put it perfectly well and is more or less what I tried to say. Thanks.

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2024, 08:52:04 PM »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2024, 08:55:47 PM »
Your last paragraph put it perfectly well and is more or less what I tried to say. Thanks.

LE

But I answered your post, so thank you. And speaking of Guy, the fact he's always bragging he never had a single argument with MK also always baffled me. How you can be creative with somebody who always agrees with you on anything? I think the best examples of creativity in history came when personalities would clash, disagree with each other, battle for something, and then produce a perfect "in-between" compromise with the best of both worlds, which is a win-win for everyone.

I would want more variety from Mark. Change the studio. Change the producer. Change the musicians. Change the designer. "Done With Bonaparte" with Paul Moore on bass and "Done With Bonaparte" with Glenn Worf on bass are TWO DIFFERENT SONGS. "Sailing To Philadelphia" with Dudley Phillips on bass and "Sailing To Philadelphia" with Glenn Worf are two different songs, and it's just one instrument.

You can't believe how changing musicians, producers and studios can affect the whole thing. And keeping everything the same can be perceived either as a remarkable achievement of consistency or just being lazy and suffering from having too much freedom, having your studio and a trusty co-producer who agrees on everything you want to do and you agree with everything he wants to do.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #130 on: January 25, 2024, 08:57:24 PM »
Someone's not walking very well....

https://youtube.com/shorts/miWcAmIcLbY?feature=shared

It gives me pain to see it. He is having pain constantly it seems. And he looks so sad these days. I wish the photographer would have shouted "cheeeese"....

I like his coat though.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #131 on: January 25, 2024, 09:16:52 PM »
While I'm writing all this essentially criticising Mark, I can't help but think how it's a part of the character. We love him because he's who he is, with all his decisions, good or bad. His life is an amazing story of recognising your talent, overcoming difficulties, overcoming fame, and turning dire straits into Dire Straits. He's a human and humans make mistakes, it's what we all are very good at. All this "keeping the formula" stuff, keeping the musicians, doing everything with the same sound and same approach might not be the best way to do it, but it's Mark Knopfler's way.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #132 on: January 25, 2024, 09:18:35 PM »

It gives me pain to see it. He is having pain constantly it seems. And he looks so sad these days. I wish the photographer would have shouted "cheeeese"....

I like his coat though.

LE

Yes, so very sad to see isn't it LE...The coat is dapper, and I absolutely love his 'Bakers boys' cap!

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2024, 09:23:29 PM »
...but it's Mark Knopfler's way"

and has to be true
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2024, 09:24:17 PM »

I like his coat though.

LE

Sadly, people age and Mark is no different. It isn’t really any of our business. Whatever may or may not be ailing him, the fact is that he is still enjoying writing his songs, getting together with his band and recording them. And still doing it extremely effectively. He was certainly in good spirits at the Christie’s interview. As long as he is content in what he is doing, then that is the most important thing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.