Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27137 times)

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2024, 07:51:50 PM »
I think I know MK's music well. But I don't hear anything similar  :) Maybe a little guitar, its sound reminds me of True Love Will Never Fade.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OnlinePeter1981

• Camerado
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2024, 08:17:15 PM »
I love it! Sophisticated chord changes, strong melody, cool groove and very classy no-nonsense production and mix. Really fits with his age and status, much more so than Good on you son, which seemed a bit up-beat tailored for radio but missed it at all accounts for me. This would be much more airplay-able. Hats off, just what I hoped he would deliver! All in all, sounds great!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2024, 08:20:35 PM »
Just played it through my sound system and I love it especially the dainty Bass n drums! Knopflers Strat sound is beautiful too..
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2024, 08:26:32 PM »
I love it! Sophisticated chord changes, strong melody, cool groove and very classy no-nonsense production and mix. Really fits with his age and status, much more so than Good on you son, which seemed a bit up-beat tailored for radio but missed it at all accounts for me. This would be much more airplay-able. Hats off, just what I hoped he would deliver! All in all, sounds great!!

I totally agree with you, apart from the "strong melody". I love this song but I can understand people you have reservations because of the almost monotonous repeat of the them. I have a soft spot for songs with this element like "Song For Sonny Liston"  or "Beyond My Wildest Dreams", not that I compare those two with AOTG, but this one sounds so good. You nailed it with everything you said.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2024, 08:30:00 PM »

I totally agree with you, apart from the "strong melody". I love this song but I can understand people you have reservations because of the almost monotonous repeat of the them. I have a soft spot for songs with this element like "Song For Sonny Liston"  or "Beyond My Wildest Dreams", not that I compare those two with AOTG, but this one sounds so good. You nailed it with everything you said.

LE

Totally agree with all said here, love the repeating Riff as it just simply works with the mood of the lovely little song...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinemkdsone

• Guitar George
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2024, 08:31:16 PM »
Not for me personally, just no meat on the bones with this one. Sounds like a B side or bonus track. Seems to lack melody like many of the songs in the last decade, same chords and rhythm as many songs in that era. Waiting on the next ones, pity all the songs look short so I am not expecting much guitar playing
Exactly.
Musically, the new song is good enough for me but it is sad to confirm that he's still plagiaring himself mercylessly some of his old musical ideas, as he did in DTRW. The riff is recycled from 38 Special and the verse is litteraly carboncopied from the verses from The Car Was The One. Put it all in the mixer with a new groove and there you have it.
I totally agree with this : .38 Special came immediately to mind.  I like the sound and the feeling of the new song, but it's nothing "new", for me he's not "ahead of the game" with this one ;) and I don't like the fade-out ; some alternating licks would be nice...
If she was an Ace and I was just a Jack, and the cards were never seen, we could have been King and Queen.

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2024, 08:44:12 PM »
"pity all the songs look short so I am not expecting much guitar playing"

How long are the songs?

Between 3 and 4 minutes, very few of them have 5 minutes.

https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/one-deep-river-mark-knopfler/mocgl8vxu0uqb
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 08:46:57 PM by Markus »
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2024, 10:20:28 PM »

The solo breaks my heart a little. You can really sense how stiffly he plays. The solo works, but for us who know Mark's music and playing so well, we all know that this not how he would have chosen to play this had his hands and fingers been in good shape. No vibrato for example. None of those little bends that make his solos so smooth and fluid. I hope I'm wrong, and that it's just an "odd" artistic decision :'(
Well, he plays with a pick on thick strings, so I guess that’s why it sounds a bit «stiff», no left hand vibrato or bends and so on. I guess it’s the same artistic decstion as on Our Shangri-la and most of the Kill To Get Crimson record.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2024, 10:32:23 PM »
"pity all the songs look short so I am not expecting much guitar playing"

How long are the songs?

Between 3 and 4 minutes, very few of them have 5 minutes.

https://www.qobuz.com/de-de/album/one-deep-river-mark-knopfler/mocgl8vxu0uqb

I expected longer songs.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2024, 10:53:41 PM »

The solo breaks my heart a little. You can really sense how stiffly he plays. The solo works, but for us who know Mark's music and playing so well, we all know that this not how he would have chosen to play this had his hands and fingers been in good shape. No vibrato for example. None of those little bends that make his solos so smooth and fluid. I hope I'm wrong, and that it's just an "odd" artistic decision :'(
Well, he plays with a pick on thick strings, so I guess that’s why it sounds a bit «stiff», no left hand vibrato or bends and so on. I guess it’s the same artistic decstion as on Our Shangri-la and most of the Kill To Get Crimson record.

It's not a question about pick or fingers, although I know what you are getting at. Mark always added chromatic passing notes, used small bends, slides, pull offs and hammer ons, vibrato (his vibrato is one of the best there is, so smooth and controlled) to breath life and air into his phrases. Like a voice. It's like that is gone. And it's also not about string gauge. I use 13-56 on my dreadnought acoustic and can bend and use vibrato without problem with my left hand, which is not my dominant hand, and I'm also not a particularly strong guy. Mark, who plays with his dominant hand, should have no problem using vibrato on his 57 Strat with 12 gauge strings. It will be very interesting to hear other songs and solos from this album.

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2024, 11:21:39 PM »
Hello guys.
I listened to the new single: very beautiful.  At first sight I immediately fell in love with the Riff.  If I had to compare the setting of the song I would compare it to Walk of Life.  Same style, similar in rhythm and with the guitar riff replacing the WOL organ.  I know it's a harsh comparison but I really like Riffs, it's a matter of taste! ;)

OfflineMossguitar

• Lady writer
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2024, 11:33:11 PM »

It's not a question about pick or fingers, although I know what you are getting at. Mark always added chromatic passing notes, used small bends, slides, pull offs and hammer ons, vibrato (his vibrato is one of the best there is, so smooth and controlled) to breath life and air into his phrases. Like a voice. It's like that is gone. And it's also not about string gauge. I use 13-56 on my dreadnought acoustic and can bend and use vibrato without problem with my left hand, which is not my dominant hand, and I'm also not a particularly strong guy. Mark, who plays with his dominant hand, should have no problem using vibrato on his 57 Strat with 12 gauge strings. It will be very interesting to hear other songs and solos from this album.
When he plays his 54 Strat with 12s, he doesn’t bend or play vibrato with his left hand, so that’s a deliberate choice of style. Of course he could bend if he wanted to, at least he used to could. Yes, it’s gonna be interesting to hear the other new songs and how his playing (and left hand bends and vibrato) has become when he plays other guitars.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2024, 11:49:37 PM »

When he plays his 54 Strat with 12s, he doesn’t bend or play vibrato with his left hand, so that’s a deliberate choice of style. Of course he could bend if he wanted to, at least he used to could. Yes, it’s gonna be interesting to hear the other new songs and how his playing (and left hand bends and vibrato) has become when he plays other guitars.

Yes, I know he normally uses the tremolo arm instead of bending/vibrato when playing the 54 Strat (did I say 57 Strat earlier?), but on this track he doesn't use the tremolo arm. That's what I find so odd. But, yeah, fingers crossed for the rest of the album.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2024, 12:20:01 AM »
Hello guys.
I listened to the new single: very beautiful.  At first sight I immediately fell in love with the Riff.  If I had to compare the setting of the song I would compare it to Walk of Life.  Same style, similar in rhythm and with the guitar riff replacing the WOL organ.  I know it's a harsh comparison but I really like Riffs, it's a matter of taste! ;)

Yes, the riff is pretty cool. Quite remarkable how he's created such a hook with just 7 notes and an equal amount of slurs. I even transcribed it already (sorry, I can't help it): https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark-knopfler/ahead-of-the-game-chords-5118550

The riff is indeed very easy and "slippery" or "smooth" is a better word. The solo is also simple and I like it.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2024, 07:20:42 AM »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.