Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27143 times)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2024, 03:28:29 PM »
I feel like this single belongs to Tracker more than anything. But yes, this song shows where 6 years went, I can imagine finding the exact bass sound and atmosphere for the song can take a loooooong time. I mean this bass sound and effects are phenomenal but surely feel a little bit distracting. It's like spending energy updating the graphics in a video game instead of changing the story and gameplay. But I'm sure the album will have more surprises, it even had a harp!

One thing that i cannot understand and at some point kind of "irritates me" its that Audiophyle kind of production / speach.

I mean, they are focused on tape recording, tube microphones, vintage desks... all design to be listened on high-expensive headphones or some kind of hitech-stereo-surround-hybrid-hifi equipment.

And how about the song?
This audiophyle kind of speach, in my opinion, tries to turn MK's audience to the science behind the song instead the song itself.
Talk about the AOTG bass tone, the plate reverb on Mark voice, the correct voltage tube tremolo on Richards guitar.... In my opinion, this is secondary. These details are the song complements, not the main thing.

Mark's albums seems to be more like a British Grove marketing stuff than an real album.

And the DTRW was, in my opinion, a failture in terms of engeneering, mixing and mastering. If the main role is to talk about that, there are a LOT of week/poor sounds on that record.

I hope that, the nwe album brings more songs that can be enjoyed on a simple headphone than "to rear the guitar tone perfectly, you'll need a Phillips XPTO headphone plugged on a Sony Tube Hi-fi amp"

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2024, 03:31:40 PM »
It's Newcastle :)

I had my doubts if was London or not.
But, it reflects how poor is the album cover.
Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

The Tyne Bridge is pretty iconic.  There are also two other bridges behind it if you look closely.  I agree it's not great, but he's never had great album covers so my expectations weren't high.

Ok, that's fine.
I never been in Newcastle so... sorry my mistake.
Makes more sense now.

But, like me, 1 zillion people never been on Newcastle.
So, could be any bridge for a lot of people.
But surelly represents something huge to MK.

Bless him.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2024, 03:33:49 PM »

Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

The Tyne Bridge is pretty iconic.  There are also two other bridges behind it if you look closely.  I agree it's not great, but he's never had great album covers so my expectations weren't high.

I can say that they all look great on vinyl format (which seems to be the main goal.)

LE
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 03:47:45 PM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2024, 03:34:35 PM »
MK's records were always audiophile reference standard all the way back to the early 80s.

That didn't mean I didn't also enjoy them on my Sanyo personal cassette player with cheap headphones.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2024, 03:39:27 PM »
"I hope that, the nwe album brings more songs that can be enjoyed on a simple headphone than "to rear the guitar tone perfectly, you'll need a Phillips XPTO headphone plugged on a Sony Tube Hi-fi amp"

Believe me, I'm not an audiophile and I listen to music with normal headphones and speakers and I don't complain.

I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2024, 03:41:57 PM »

Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

Ok, that's fine.
I never been in Newcastle so... sorry my mistake.
Makes more sense now.

But, like me, 1 zillion people never been on Newcastle.
So, could be any bridge for a lot of people.
But surelly represents something huge to MK.

Bless him.

You've a pretty decent bridge in your neck of the woods too.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2024, 03:43:01 PM »
"But, like me, 1 zillion people never been on Newcastle.
So, could be any bridge for a lot of people"

But if you want to you'll find out what the picture shows  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2024, 03:43:24 PM »
MK's records were always audiophile reference standard all the way back to the early 80s.

That didn't mean I didn't also enjoy them on my Sanyo personal cassette player with cheap headphones.

All great artists has big standarts about sound quality. But its not only about it.
Well, thats my opinion.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2024, 04:15:31 PM »
So you are complaining about that his albums sound too good compared with the artistic quality?

LE

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2024, 04:35:22 PM »
So you are complaining about that his albums sound too good compared with the artistic quality?

LE

I read it as saying that the audio quality doesn't matter if the music isn't good, which is true.

Let's face facts, nothing MK has recorded in BG is as good to listen to as 1957 mono Whole Lotta Shakin by Jerry Lee Lewis or any of the Elvis Sun recordings done in the same little studio.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2024, 04:39:21 PM »
One thing that i cannot understand and at some point kind of "irritates me" its that Audiophyle kind of production / speach.

I mean, they are focused on tape recording, tube microphones, vintage desks... all design to be listened on high-expensive headphones or some kind of hitech-stereo-surround-hybrid-hifi equipment.

And how about the song?
This audiophyle kind of speach, in my opinion, tries to turn MK's audience to the science behind the song instead the song itself.
Talk about the AOTG bass tone, the plate reverb on Mark voice, the correct voltage tube tremolo on Richards guitar.... In my opinion, this is secondary. These details are the song complements, not the main thing.

Mark's albums seems to be more like a British Grove marketing stuff than an real album.

And the DTRW was, in my opinion, a failture in terms of engeneering, mixing and mastering. If the main role is to talk about that, there are a LOT of week/poor sounds on that record.

I hope that, the nwe album brings more songs that can be enjoyed on a simple headphone than "to rear the guitar tone perfectly, you'll need a Phillips XPTO headphone plugged on a Sony Tube Hi-fi amp"

I remember when Down The Road came out, I was so shocked, that I wrote a long thread criticising Guy's production, and it seems to be the direction everything is still going. This stuff sounds like Roxy Music, with songs like "Back On The Dance Floor" and now this, with all the effects, complex production and such. I miss the bare-bone style of albums like Shangri-La, which wasn't recorded in the studio Mark owns and yet is filled with masterpieces and features outstanding production.

We all joke about moving microphones and stuff, and over-obsession with tape and technology, but it is a problem and distracts you from the main event I think.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2024, 04:46:14 PM »

LE

I read it as saying that the audio quality doesn't matter if the music isn't good, which is true.

Let's face facts, nothing MK has recorded in BG is as good to listen to as 1957 mono Whole Lotta Shakin by Jerry Lee Lewis or any of the Elvis Sun recordings done in the same little studio.

I got an Sinatra EP the other day with the Coffee Song and was astonished how good it sounded . Made me move a lot.

LE

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2024, 04:46:46 PM »
"I hope that, the nwe album brings more songs that can be enjoyed on a simple headphone than "to rear the guitar tone perfectly, you'll need a Phillips XPTO headphone plugged on a Sony Tube Hi-fi amp"

Believe me, I'm not an audiophile and I listen to music with normal headphones and speakers and I don't complain.

I can't complain either. To me Mark's music always sounds great and gives me a lot of joy.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2024, 04:49:15 PM »
I have listened to the song several times over the last two days, and sorry, but it does nothing for me.  Lyrically and musically it just falls flat.  Sounds like a b-side.  I'm sure (I hope?) there will be better tracks on the album.

The whole "life of a musician" subject matter is wearing thin for me, also.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2024, 04:54:18 PM »

LE

"You can't polish a doo-doo."
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 38 queries.