Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 26761 times)

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2024, 07:40:22 AM »
Who plays the solo ? Mark or Richard ?

OfflineK-alberto

• Camerado
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2024, 08:07:57 AM »
Who plays the solo ? Mark or Richard ?

I would say it's definitely Mark... even if Richard knows how to imitate him!

OfflineEddie-Dude

• Guitar George
  • Fan of Mark Knopfler & Dire Straits since 1996
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2024, 09:42:40 AM »
I think its a nice song, and I really like the guitarsound :-)
Its a typical MK song, and its great, I think. Looking forward to the rest of the album.
ROCK ON FOLKS!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2024, 10:19:17 AM »
Its a typical MK song, and its great, I think. Looking forward to the rest of the album.

Welcome!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2024, 10:27:55 AM »

Welcome back Kay Edvin? I remember you being a member before
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinetomtom51

• Guitar George
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2024, 11:28:31 AM »
Just played it through my sound system and I love it especially the dainty Bass n drums! Knopflers Strat sound is beautiful too..

I would even say that this guitar tone brought me back to Dire Straits first album, I'm not expecting DS type songs on the new album, but I have a good feeling about it.

Offlineshortfin

• Local Hero
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2024, 11:32:15 AM »
Yes, the riff is pretty cool. Quite remarkable how he's created such a hook with just 7 notes and an equal amount of slurs. I even transcribed it already (sorry, I can't help it): https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mark-knopfler/ahead-of-the-game-chords-5118550

The riff is indeed very easy and "slippery" or "smooth" is a better word. The solo is also simple and I like it.

Thanks for the Tab!!
www.direstraitsbootlegs.it
I was there: *Dire Straits: Ferrara, 6.7.1983 *Mark Knopfler: Pesaro, 7.6.2008 / Firenze, 11.11.2011 / Piazzola sul Brenta, 12.7.2013 / Milano, 28.5.2015 / Cattolica 18.07.2019 / Verona 22.07.2019

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2024, 01:16:27 PM »
Well...

Since DTRW i have second thoughts about MK's albums.
Ok, there are some great tracks on his recent records, but, in overall i miss some energy and, above all, i miss the old Knopflerism on his new songs.
But, who am i to blame him? Musicians change to refresh his inspirations and his lastest albums are photography about his mind at the time.
The fact that Mark still make music makes me very happy.

Strange that, despite my dislike about DTRW, i liked Good On You Son more than Ahead Of The Game.
I think that GOYS is well suited and has a better ambience even my dislike about Guy's production touch.

Ahead Of The Game surprised me that the song didn't have what i call Fletcher Noises. This was until near the end of the song, where starts some "frog" noises.

About the cover, well... i understand what London reflects to Mark. It's a tribute to the river and the city...
But, i didn't like the cover.
I don't know what is the worse cover. DTRW or ODR.

OfflineBeryl

• Guitar George
« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2024, 01:40:04 PM »
Well...

Ok, there are some great tracks on his recent records, but, in overall i miss some energy and, above all, i miss the old Knopflerism on his new songs.
But, who am i to blame him? Musicians change to refresh his inspirations and his lastest albums are photography about his mind at the time.

Strange that, despite my dislike about DTRW, i liked Good On You Son more than Ahead Of The Game.
I think that GOYS is well suited and has a better ambience even my dislike about Guy's production touch.

Ahead Of The Game surprised me that the song didn't have what i call Fletcher Noises. This was until near the end of the song, where starts some "frog" noises.

About the cover, well... i understand what London reflects to Mark. It's a tribute to the river and the city...

I agree. DTRW is, by far, the poorest album in MK's career in musical terms. Recycling structures and melodies from his previous stuff, very disoriented jazzy sleepy vibes, uninteresting lyrics. Much worse than anything previous from him. I would be delighted if we could have anything original in the new record, but first single is lazy recycling territory again.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2024, 02:04:12 PM »
Well...

I agree. DTRW is, by far, the poorest album in MK's career in musical terms. Recycling structures and melodies from his previous stuff, very disoriented jazzy sleepy vibes, uninteresting lyrics. Much worse than anything previous from him. I would be delighted if we could have anything original in the new record, but first single is lazy recycling territory again.

I feel like this single belongs to Tracker more than anything. But yes, this song shows where 6 years went, I can imagine finding the exact bass sound and atmosphere for the song can take a loooooong time. I mean this bass sound and effects are phenomenal but surely feel a little bit distracting. It's like spending energy updating the graphics in a video game instead of changing the story and gameplay. But I'm sure the album will have more surprises, it even had a harp!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2024, 02:15:39 PM »

It's Newcastle :)

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2024, 02:54:10 PM »

I had my doubts if was London or not.
But, it reflects how poor is the album cover.
Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2024, 03:04:52 PM »

Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

The Gateshead bridge is one of the most iconic and recognisable bridges in the UK!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2024, 03:05:21 PM »
Not really, it's a very famous and iconic bridge (actually bridges), designed by the same people who designed the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

The main one has its own wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne_Bridge

It features on the label of Newcastle Brown Ale, the famous beer sold over the world:

And the High Level Bridge, just behind, is featured in the classic movie Get Carter.

It's not some random bridge like the random road in DTRW. It reflects the Geordie themes Mk has come back to since beginning the very first notes of the debut album with them all those years ago.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2024, 03:06:23 PM »

Could be any bridge.
Or any road, like DTRW

The Tyne Bridge is pretty iconic.  There are also two other bridges behind it if you look closely.  I agree it's not great, but he's never had great album covers so my expectations weren't high.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.