Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (2) Ahead of the game  (Read 27142 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: (2) Ahead of the game
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2024, 04:55:35 PM »
So you are complaining about that his albums sound too good compared with the artistic quality?

LE

I read it as saying that the audio quality doesn't matter if the music isn't good, which is true.

Let's face facts, nothing MK has recorded in BG is as good to listen to as 1957 mono Whole Lotta Shakin by Jerry Lee Lewis or any of the Elvis Sun recordings done in the same little studio.

"You can't polish a doo-doo."

Indeed!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2024, 04:57:25 PM »
The whole "life of a musician" subject matter is wearing thin for me, also.

Could be a metaphor for his own life but to me it's clear he's singing about an unsuccessful singer songwriter, scraping a living doing solo gigs. Made me think a lot about one of my favourite artists whose career has panned out exactly like that (and ironically that artist is a big MK fan).

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2024, 04:58:26 PM »
I have listened to the song several times over the last two days, and sorry, but it does nothing for me.  Lyrically and musically it just falls flat.  Sounds like a b-side.  I'm sure (I hope?) there will be better tracks on the album.

I agree about the lyrics, they are somewhat flat. But the last good lyrics were on Tracker anyway.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2024, 04:59:28 PM »

I got an Sinatra EP the other day with the Coffee Song and was astonished how good it sounded . Made me move a lot.

LE

Interesting you mention The Coffee Song - I'm a big Sinatra fan and that is probably my second favourite track of his. But the album it comes from is generally regarded as having poor sound (his first album on Reprise after leaving Capitol). Doesn't matter! Amazing song!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2024, 05:04:22 PM »

Could be a metaphor for his own life but to me it's clear he's singing about an unsuccessful singer songwriter, scraping a living doing solo gigs. Made me think a lot about one of my favourite artists whose career has panned out exactly like that (and ironically that artist is a big MK fan).

Jason Isbell?
So Long

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2024, 05:11:30 PM »
I have listened to the song several times over the last two days, and sorry, but it does nothing for me.  Lyrically and musically it just falls flat.  Sounds like a b-side.  I'm sure (I hope?) there will be better tracks on the album.

I have the same impression since first listening.

In an excellent MK record, this one would be left out.

In a very good MK record, this song would be a track in the bonus lp in the deluxe box.

In a good MK record, this song would be a filler, a song you add because you have nothing better.

I'm not saying is bad, I'm saying is very plain and despite is nice, is nothing to call home about.

I truly hope the rest of the record and bonus tracks are better.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2024, 05:31:39 PM »

In a very good MK record, this song would be a track in the bonus lp in the deluxe box.

In a good MK record, this song would be a filler, a song you add because you have nothing better.

I'm not saying is bad, I'm saying is very plain and despite is nice, is nothing to call home about.

And it's the second track on the album. A very important spot I think, earlier occupied with songs like "Basil", "Haul Away", "Boom, Like That", "The Scaffolder's Wife", "On Every Street", etc. And now the second tracks are "Back on the Dance Floor" and "Ahead of the Game". Abandon hope all ye who enter here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 05:33:40 PM by quizzaciously »

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2024, 05:46:21 PM »

I remember when Down The Road came out, I was so shocked, that I wrote a long thread criticising Guy's production, and it seems to be the direction everything is still going. This stuff sounds like Roxy Music, with songs like "Back On The Dance Floor" and now this, with all the effects, complex production and such. I miss the bare-bone style of albums like Shangri-La, which wasn't recorded in the studio Mark owns and yet is filled with masterpieces and features outstanding production.

We all joke about moving microphones and stuff, and over-obsession with tape and technology, but it is a problem and distracts you from the main event I think.

I remember that the STP album have a little GF touch. That electronic beat on Junkie Doll, the synth intro of Speedway and a 'here and there' small elements. BUT, despite the fact that STP is my fav MK album, the songs are the main element and the 'GF touch' brings elements that are a good addiction to the songs.

Since KTGC, none of MK albums reached the sonically impact that SL have. If we are talking about the BG Studios, the best sounding MK album is Tracker and is miles away from SL.
Beyond that, i've listened to some stuff recorded at BG and almost none have impressed me (sonically speaking)
Shangri-La has the best sound, and above this, have great songs and an organic vibe with is amazing.
I agree that DTRW have over production, too many non musical elements and that Roxy Music vibe that i doesn't like.

Listen to Mark's music makes me happy to this day because of him.
OK if Mark cannot play as he played on his past. But i cannot stand about his 'lazy singing'
But his band have players that can play anything and play great.
Jim, Richard, Glenn, Ian, Robbie, John and now Greg are mazing musicians and both of them sounded flat thru the recent albums.

I hope that the rest of the album be great.
I hope the new album wasn't mde to sell microphones.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2024, 05:58:59 PM »

Jason Isbell?

Isbell is buying 1959 Les Pauls, not selling a beat up car to buy a ticket to get to his next gig. This song is about a musician who it hasn't worked out for (IMO).

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2024, 06:09:27 PM »

Jason Isbell?

Isbell is buying 1959 Les Pauls, not selling a beat up car to buy a ticket to get to his next gig. This song is about a musician who it hasn't worked out for (IMO).

Than you probably mean the Malpaso Gang?
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2024, 06:19:09 PM »
If we are talking about singles, Ahead Of The Game I like more than Good On You Son :) From the first hearing. I love the sound of it. Yes, it's a simple song, very good for a first single, it's great. Someone wrote earlier that this song brought him back to the first DS album. I have the same.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #116 on: January 25, 2024, 06:50:17 PM »

Jason Isbell?

Than you probably mean the Malpaso Gang?

Malpaso Gang are so unsuccessful we don't even have beat up cars to sell.

Anyone want to buy a bike?

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #117 on: January 25, 2024, 07:05:01 PM »

I remember when Down The Road came out, I was so shocked, that I wrote a long thread criticising Guy's production, and it seems to be the direction everything is still going. This stuff sounds like Roxy Music, with songs like "Back On The Dance Floor" and now this, with all the effects, complex production and such. I miss the bare-bone style of albums like Shangri-La, which wasn't recorded in the studio Mark owns and yet is filled with masterpieces and features outstanding production.

We all joke about moving microphones and stuff, and over-obsession with tape and technology, but it is a problem and distracts you from the main event I think.

I remember that the STP album have a little GF touch. That electronic beat on Junkie Doll, the synth intro of Speedway and a 'here and there' small elements. BUT, despite the fact that STP is my fav MK album, the songs are the main element and the 'GF touch' brings elements that are a good addiction to the songs.

Since KTGC, none of MK albums reached the sonically impact that SL have. If we are talking about the BG Studios, the best sounding MK album is Tracker and is miles away from SL.
Beyond that, i've listened to some stuff recorded at BG and almost none have impressed me (sonically speaking)
Shangri-La has the best sound, and above this, have great songs and an organic vibe with is amazing.
I agree that DTRW have over production, too many non musical elements and that Roxy Music vibe that i doesn't like.

Listen to Mark's music makes me happy to this day because of him.
OK if Mark cannot play as he played on his past. But i cannot stand about his 'lazy singing'
But his band have players that can play anything and play great.
Jim, Richard, Glenn, Ian, Robbie, John and now Greg are mazing musicians and both of them sounded flat thru the recent albums.

I hope that the rest of the album be great.
I hope the new album wasn't mde to sell microphones.

I remember reading something about the fact that on the MK BG productions they don't like to use EQ very much,  I think that is possibly OK if you have very high end playback equipment but for everyone else,  including me it just sounds a bit flat, particularly the drums.

Tune is OK. Thankful to hear new output. MK has been a recycler for a long time now.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2024, 07:37:22 PM »

I agree with you both. It is just sad, and ironic, when we have heard about "not looking back" for years. I listened to the song one time yesterday morning, and by yesterday evening I didn't remember the title and haven't even listened to it twice yet. Still have high hopes for the album. It really is impossible to tell how the rest is!, I mean, I loved "back on the dancefloor" and "When you leave", both on the same album  :)

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2024, 07:53:32 PM »
Who plays the solo ? Mark or Richard ?

I would say it's definitely Mark... even if Richard knows how to imitate him!

Thank you.

I like this song, very relaxing.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.