Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Album - One Deep River  (Read 86839 times)

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Re: New Album - One Deep River
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2024, 12:49:10 PM »
https://www.universalmusic.ca/press-releases/mark-knopflers-new-album-one-deep-river-to-be-released-on-april-12-2024/

24 JANUARY 2024 (TORONTO, ON) — Mark Knopfler will release his tenth solo studio album on April 12th, 2024 on his own British Grove label via EMI/Universal Music Canada. Entitled One Deep River, it features 12 unhurriedly elegant new Knopfler songs, and his warm Geordie vocal tone, his poetic storytelling lyrics and deft, richly melodic guitar playing are all present and correct and as dazzling as ever.

The first single from the album "Ahead Of The Game", a wistful, perhaps autobiographical, story about a singer/songwriter struggling to make it, set to a distinctively Knopfler-esque classic riff, is available now.

The title track "One Deep River" reflects Knopfler's deep affection for the river that runs through his childhood home city Newcastle. "Crossing the Tyne is always on your mind," he says. "It's what you were doing when you were leaving as a youngster and that feeling is always the same every time you do it. You're heading out or you're coming back, and it just connects with your childhood. The power of it doesn't go away."

One Deep River offers an unstoppable flow of future Knopfler classics, with their customarily learned lyrics and refined guitar textures. They draw on a lifetime of genre-crossing ingredients and influences in blues, folk, rock and beyond, and as usual, reveal their charms with unhurried grace and depth.

One Deep River was produced by Knopfler and his longstanding collaborator Guy Fletcher and was recorded at his state of the art British Grove Studios in London. The album will be available on CD, deluxe 2CD, double gatefold vinyl, cassette and a special limited edition box set that will include the album on both vinyl and CD, 5 bonus tracks on CD, 4 exclusive bonus tracks on LP, a litho print of Mark and some of the guitars played on the record, a guitar pick set and tin, and an enamel badge.

The full tracklistings are:

Standard Album Tracklist

Two Pairs Of Hands
Ahead Of The Game
Smart Money
Scavengers Yard
Black Tie Jobs
Tunnel 13
Janine
Watch Me Gone
Sweeter Than The Rain
Before My Train Comes
This One’s Not Going To End Well
One Deep River

Bonus Vinyl Tracklist (exclusively in boxset):

Dolly Shop Man
Your Leading Man
Wrong ’un
Chess

Bonus CD Tracklist (in boxset and deluxe CD):

The Living End
Fat Chance Dupree
Along A Foreign Coast
What I’m Gonna Need
Nothing But Rain

The album is available to pre-order here: https://markknopfler.lnk.to/ODRPR

The band on One Deep River features Mark Knopfler on guitars, Jim Cox and Guy Fletcher on keyboards, Glenn Worf on bass, Ian Thomas on drums and Danny Cummings on percussion, Richard Bennett on guitar, and newcomer Greg Leisz on pedal and lap steel; Mike McGoldrick provides whistle and uilleann pipes, and John McCusker plays fiddle, while the Topolski sisters Emma and Tamsin add backing vocals. All songs are written by Mark Knopfler.

Mark Knopfler, singer-songwriter, record producer and composer, is one of the most successful musicians the UK has ever produced and is often cited as one of the greatest guitarists of all time. He first came to prominence in the 80s as leader of Dire Straits, who created many of the signature songs of the era. Knopfler broke up the band in 1995 and set off on a new path as a solo artist. In the ensuing years Knopfler has released nine solo albums of sophisticated rootsy rock and has continued to tour the globe with his band. Over the years, Mark has written the music for several films, including Local Hero, Cal, The Princess Bride, Last Exit To Brooklyn and Wag The Dog and has played and recorded with a number of artists, including Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Emmylou Harris, Tina Turner, Randy Newman and Chet Atkins. Knopfler was made an OBE in 1999 and was given the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the Ivor Novellos in 2012.

On 31st January ’24 Christies will auction the Mark Knopfler Guitar Collection. Comprising more than 120 guitars and amps, the collection spans Mark’s 50-year career and chronicles the diverse array of instruments that he has used to write, record and perform his peerless catalogue of music. The auction will include the Gibson Les Paul Mark played on Dire Straits’ ‘Brothers In Arms’ and at Live Aid, a red Mark Knopfler Signature Fender Stratocaster, and a 1951 Martin D-28, as well as a number of guitars used on the recording of One Deep River (including his Ovations, the little Martin, the Stefan Sobell and the Hummingbird).

Mark has teamed up with Brian Johnson, the singer from rock legends AC/DC, to make a six part new TV series for Sky Arts. The two friends take a fascinating look at the history of popular music alongside various special guests including Sam Fender and Emmylou Harris. Broadcast dates to be announced soon.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2024, 12:53:16 PM »
Do I remember correctly that 4 songs are supposed to be acoustic?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2024, 12:56:05 PM »

No idea, never heard that before
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #168 on: January 26, 2024, 12:58:59 PM »

I thought there was a mention of it at Christie's. Maybe I had a dream:)
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #169 on: January 26, 2024, 01:01:03 PM »

I thought there was a mention of it at Christie's. Maybe I had a dream:)

In Christie's they mention certain acoustic guitars were used in the new record, but as usual. In fact, according to Guy, in the new single MK played a Boswell acoustic and also a Fender Sunburst.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #170 on: January 26, 2024, 01:04:50 PM »
You are one deep river, old friend
One deep river, amen

So these lyrics are on the new album

https://www.universalmusic.ca/press-releases/mark-knopflers-new-album-one-deep-river-to-be-released-on-april-12-2024/

Has he ever been spiritual/religious before?

The latest Paul Simon album is kind of a spiritual reflection on aging and coming towards the end of life...

Oh, no, Paul Simon with all due respect is too religious for my taste. He transformed into a full-time spiritual songwriter, all the magic is gone. Give me "The Mississippi delta was shining like a National guitar", not this amen and God BS that you can find in spades from people who do it for a living.

Religion is a very a) sensitive and b) personal topic, so once an artist suddenly becomes a priest and releases albums with direct Bible connections and outright prayers and all it goes completely through my radar, The Seven Psalms album doesn't exist for me. Luckily, in Mark's case "amen" is just like a nice finishing touch, the same "amen" as in "Baloney Again" or when we scream "Oh God!", we rarely mean the actual God, it's just an expression. I don't think there'll be any more religious efforts there, thank God!!!

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #171 on: January 26, 2024, 01:05:27 PM »
I remember him mentioning during the interview at Christie's that he plays his Boswell guitar on 4 or so songs. I doubt if he means pure acoustic songs.
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

OfflineJules

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #172 on: January 26, 2024, 01:06:46 PM »
I remember him mentioning during the interview at Christie's that he plays his Boswell guitar on 4 or so songs. I doubt if he means pure acoustic songs.

Exactly, in the new single he already plays the Boswell, so these songs are not pure acoustic.
So Long

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #173 on: January 26, 2024, 01:12:54 PM »

That was it! Thank you KnopfleRick :) I knew it was something with the number 4. Sorry my mistake.
Clear as the day

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2024, 01:14:18 PM »

That was it! Thank you KnopfleRick :) I knew it was something with the number 4. Sorry my mistake.

:wave
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #175 on: January 26, 2024, 02:09:37 PM »
One deep river, amen

He certainly made good use of the word "amen" in Baloney Again.  Maybe he wants the keys to the gates in heaven.  A lot of my neighbours are elderly and most of them are church goers.  I think most go just for gossiping mind you because they always know what's going on before we do. 😂
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:17:47 PM by dmg »
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #176 on: January 26, 2024, 03:34:18 PM »
One deep river, amen

The latest Paul Simon album is kind of a spiritual reflection on aging and coming towards the end of life...

Oh, no, Paul Simon with all due respect is too religious for my taste. He transformed into a full-time spiritual songwriter, all the magic is gone. Give me "The Mississippi delta was shining like a National guitar", not this amen and God BS that you can find in spades from people who do it for a living.

I've never thought of Paul Simon as being religious (he was born Jewish).

I googled the latest album and he said that he's not religious but the songs came to him in a dream:

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/paul-simon-seven-psalms-q-tom-power-interview-1.6876141#:~:text=Paul%20Simon%2C%2081%2C%20is%20adamant,Seven%20Psalms%2C%20is%20undoubtedly%20divine.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #177 on: January 26, 2024, 03:55:50 PM »
One deep river, amen

I've never thought of Paul Simon as being religious (he was born Jewish).

I googled the latest album and he said that he's not religious but the songs came to him in a dream:

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/paul-simon-seven-psalms-q-tom-power-interview-1.6876141#:~:text=Paul%20Simon%2C%2081%2C%20is%20adamant,Seven%20Psalms%2C%20is%20undoubtedly%20divine.

Paul can say a lot, but I'm always looking at the result. "Seven Psalms" is an extremely religious title, there is no ambiguity about it — it's about religion/supernatural/Lord/Bible, and can't be interpreted in any other way. A non-religious person can't name his creation this way.

Maybe naming is the culprit here, and distracts me from it, maybe because I'm not religious myself. I never understood this obsession with ageing and overthinking death. I hate to break it to people, but you will die, pets you love will die, Knopfler and Simon will die, and everybody on this forum will die. Have a nice day!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2024, 03:57:03 PM »

Wasn't it that MK had secured 4 new acoustic guitars?
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2024, 04:05:17 PM »
Paul can say a lot, but I'm always looking at the result. "Seven Psalms" is an extremely religious title, there is no ambiguity about it — it's about religion/supernatural/Lord/Bible, and can't be interpreted in any other way. A non-religious person can't name his creation this way.

I'm not religious but I've written religious songs. Paul says the title came to him in a dream, not sure why he would lie about that.

Lots of great religious themed music out there, if you don't listen just because you don't believe in god you are missing out!

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 39 queries.