Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Album - One Deep River  (Read 86445 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: New Album - One Deep River
« Reply #405 on: February 16, 2024, 04:06:41 PM »
When Tracker was released, it was a big shock for me.
After Chuck leave his shoes to GF, the thing seems to follow a strange path.
Tracker has some 'unfinished' vibe, DTRW is a mess and ODR seems to me that will follow the same premise that his predecessor. It means, MK gave power to GF do anything he wants on his songs. After few reunions during pre-production, Mark give his 'ok' to an GF ideas and that's it.

Well, in other hand, i doubt that MK still have the strenght to ensure 100% of his albums (this is normal considering the aging effect) so, he deliver most of the role to GF.

Chuck and GF have different visions.
To my taste, i preffer the first.

Interesting take. I find the production pretty indistinguishable overall, aside from some "cool" modern sounding stuff from Guy on DTRW.

But that's exactly the difference. It can't be all the same, the human factor is huge. I mean yes, Mark's records from 2006 sound so similar you can barely tell to which album each song belongs if you're not a die-hard fan, but that's because of the same studio and the same people making it. Production differences are very subtle. Little sounds here and there, little decisions here and there. But over time, these differences become big and noticeable.

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #406 on: February 16, 2024, 04:14:21 PM »
Interesting take. I find the production pretty indistinguishable overall, aside from some "cool" modern sounding stuff from Guy on DTRW.

I think that the 'musician' GF sobrepose the Engineer/Producer GF.
In other words, GF is a simplistic musician that tries to do some "complicated" stuff, with sound plastic and non-organic. To correct the mess, he inserts some synths and weird sequencer beats.

I am sure that Chuck can play a good guitar, piano or other instrument. But he don't let his musician side to interfere on his amazing 'listener' side.

In case of GF, its a snow ball, one side affect the other.
So, the ball keep growing and growing

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #407 on: February 16, 2024, 04:38:13 PM »
I agree. I translated this position all the way from the release of Tracker. We are in the minority though. I love Chuck. When you listen to his interviews, it's as if you listen to Mark with a deeper voice and longer hair, that's how similar their views of things are. Chuck is such a class act.

Guy is different. You can tell they are different. Maybe it's Mark's way of "freshen things up". If that was the goal, then they succeeded 100%. Guy brings this fresh, younger side, for better or worse. Considering it's not the first album done in this fashion, the authors are completely satisfied with it.

"Guy brings the younger side"

I think that is the stranger thing about recent MK music (I mean, since GF assumed the major role on MK's music) because MK is the opposite of younger music.

Stranger than that is the peak charts that shows Tracker and DTRW in greater positions than STP and SL (not considering the sell factor)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Knopfler_discography

In a generic way, GF production/direction is transforming MK in a Generic Artists.
Well, what appears to me is that the world prefers this Rod Stewart/Michael Bolton and lazy singering version of MK.

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #408 on: February 16, 2024, 04:38:49 PM »
I'm astonished that those backing vocals already seem to be a little controversial. I think they sound exceptionally good and put a new flavour into Mark's music. I indeed hope there will be more of them on the record.

LE
I agree. One of the reasons I love Tracker so much is Ruth Moody's voice on Basil, Skydiver, Long Cool Girl and WIG

Offlinerichardmu

• Local Hero
« Reply #409 on: February 16, 2024, 11:24:15 PM »
I agree. One of the reasons I love Tracker so much is Ruth Moody's voice on Basil, Skydiver, Long Cool Girl and WIG

Personally will be happy never to hear of her again and it seems there's a good chance as she's disappeared into obscurity.

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #410 on: February 17, 2024, 12:42:32 AM »
Greg is a lap steel player so he could feature on this one.

OfflineMarnix

• Camerado
« Reply #411 on: February 19, 2024, 10:25:27 AM »
The latest diary is online including the boy ep

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #412 on: February 19, 2024, 10:40:22 AM »

Personally will be happy never to hear of her again and it seems there's a good chance as she's disappeared into obscurity.

I don’t particularly like “Wherever I go” but I enjoy her voice and I LOVE her solo albums. I’m grateful to MK for introducing me to her as a solo artist.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #413 on: February 19, 2024, 11:05:07 AM »

I don’t particularly like “Wherever I go” but I enjoy her voice and I LOVE her solo albums. I’m grateful to MK for introducing me to her as a solo artist.

I like "Wherever I Go"  live more than the studio version.  I have both "The Garden" and "These Wilder Things" on CD and like both, but "These Wilder Things" is my favourite.

I saw Ruth and her band in 2013 at "The Band Room" in the wilds of Farndale in the North York Moors.   It was held in a tiny corrugated shed-type building which held around 100 people.   Ruth and her band were excellent and in the interval some of the villagers came round with chocolate cake!   At the end whilst Ruth was signing my CD the lights went out and we were in complete darkness.   Ruth's signature was just a scribble, but that is what reminds me of what was happening at that moment.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #414 on: February 19, 2024, 05:08:34 PM »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #415 on: February 19, 2024, 05:20:30 PM »
Thanks!

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
« Reply #416 on: February 19, 2024, 06:09:10 PM »

LOL!
I think maybe that was the reason that the amazing Imelda May didn't appear much on DTRW

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #417 on: February 19, 2024, 06:14:16 PM »

Ouch!

According to her website she has a six year old child so no surprise if she took some time off to raise a child.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #418 on: February 19, 2024, 08:46:00 PM »

I like "Wherever I Go"  live more than the studio version.  I have both "The Garden" and "These Wilder Things" on CD and like both, but "These Wilder Things" is my favourite.

I saw Ruth and her band in 2013 at "The Band Room" in the wilds of Farndale in the North York Moors.   It was held in a tiny corrugated shed-type building which held around 100 people.   Ruth and her band were excellent and in the interval some of the villagers came round with chocolate cake!   At the end whilst Ruth was signing my CD the lights went out and we were in complete darkness.   Ruth's signature was just a scribble, but that is what reminds me of what was happening at that moment.   :)

I think I recall a clip of this gig on YouTube where she’s chatting with someone who saw her supporting MK and she comments something like “you get around don’t you?”
Was that you?!?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #419 on: February 19, 2024, 09:09:06 PM »

I think I recall a clip of this gig on YouTube where she’s chatting with someone who saw her supporting MK and she comments something like “you get around don’t you?”
Was that you?!?

I did tell her that I had seen her about a week before at the RAH, but I don't remember her saying that, but she may have done.   She spoke to lots of people during the interval and at the end of the show.  She was very friendly and seemed a nice person.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 38 queries.