Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New Album - One Deep River  (Read 86802 times)

OfflineMatchstickman

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: New Album - One Deep River
« Reply #195 on: January 27, 2024, 05:21:13 PM »
LP, well, never (almost)  ;D

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #196 on: January 27, 2024, 05:55:03 PM »
 :)

Christian:
With 21 tracks overall, are there any songs among them (you don't have to tell us which) which have been around for a while and were only "right" this time around?

GF:

No, all the tracks are recorded in these sessions
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #197 on: January 27, 2024, 06:15:53 PM »
Texts should appear on the MKNews website soon. But they forgot about the title song  ::)
Clear as the day

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2024, 09:34:50 PM »
Another unsatisfying thing that I realized just now is that in the Box Set there are those four bonus vinyl songs which everyone is angry about, but the other five bonus songs are only on CD.. so even people who love vinyl and buy the big Box and are happy with the Bonus Vinyl record with the four songs, still are not able to listen to the five bonus songs on vinyl. the double album is the standard edition, so there is nearly no party really satisfied. As I ordered the Light Blue Vinyl edition already, I have the standard album already. So I could buy the double CD and wait for the four songs to turn up somehwere. That tin crap needs noboby anyway. Why on Earth is it so difficult?? If they point out this one should be a Vinyl edition, why are there not all songs on vinyl then...

Have to think again if or if not to buy the Box.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2024, 09:54:10 PM »
The blu ray is available to pre order:
https://www.thesdeshop.com/
Other non boxset are available here:
https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=108264

Had to time to read this thread again and finally checked that link. Not if everyone read Mark's words about "Ahead Of The Game":

"That all goes back to bands playing live. In some way, I was thinking about Nashville, because when I first went out there, it must have been in the early '80s and all the bands in the bars downtown were playing the hits. And that's fine. What I was trying to say is that's an achievement to actually get to a place  where you've got employment, and you've got yourself a gig. I mean, statistically, what are  the odds of making it? If you stopped to think about that, you'd hardly take a step further, would you?"

This seems to be more than I read on any other site. I guess there will be the usual big promo inteview soon?

LE

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2024, 09:59:13 PM »
Another unsatisfying thing that I realized just now is that in the Box Set there are those four bonus vinyl songs which everyone is angry about, but the other five bonus songs are only on CD.. so even people who love vinyl and buy the big Box and are happy with the Bonus Vinyl record with the four songs, still are not able to listen to the five bonus songs on vinyl. the double album is the standard edition, so there is nearly no party really satisfied. As I ordered the Light Blue Vinyl edition already, I have the standard album already. So I could buy the double CD and wait for the four songs to turn up somehwere. That tin crap needs noboby anyway. Why on Earth is it so difficult?? If they point out this one should be a Vinyl edition, why are there not all songs on vinyl then...

LE

Unfortunately we know well that Mark's sales are not satisfactory, and so the record company invents everything to make money.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #201 on: January 27, 2024, 10:08:24 PM »
No, I know what you mean but here it is has nothing to do with "money making", it is just not possible to get the 5 bonus songs on vinyl, so that is just not good service and a good release politics. If there was
another, fourth, record in the Box with the five songs or let's say if they would put all nine bonus songs on one record instead, it would be full satisfying and they could charge even more money for it.
So it ist just keeping people short of the full possibilities. They did it so well with the bonus records in both boxes. Why not here again?

LE

OfflineGIUMK

• Camerado
« Reply #202 on: January 27, 2024, 10:20:24 PM »
No, I know what you mean but here it is has nothing to do with "money making", it is just not possible to get the 5 bonus songs on vinyl, so that is just not good service and a good release politics. If there was
another, fourth, record in the Box with the five songs or let's say if they would put all nine bonus songs on one record instead, it would be full satisfying and they could charge even more money for it.
So it ist just keeping people short of the full possibilities. They did it so well with the bonus records in both boxes. Why not here again?

LE

I agree with you.  I've never understood some sales strategies, the only thing I understand is that we, the fans, are the ones who lose out

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #203 on: January 28, 2024, 12:25:57 AM »
Didn’t realise that. I think the last record had everything on vinyl?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #204 on: January 28, 2024, 02:45:26 AM »
The blu ray is available to pre order:
https://www.thesdeshop.com/
Other non boxset are available here:
https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=108264

Had to time to read this thread again and finally checked that link. Not if everyone read Mark's words about "Ahead Of The Game":

"That all goes back to bands playing live. In some way, I was thinking about Nashville, because when I first went out there, it must have been in the early '80s and all the bands in the bars downtown were playing the hits. And that's fine. What I was trying to say is that's an achievement to actually get to a place  where you've got employment, and you've got yourself a gig. I mean, statistically, what are  the odds of making it? If you stopped to think about that, you'd hardly take a step further, would you?"

This seems to be more than I read on any other site. I guess there will be the usual big promo inteview soon?

LE

Here's about the new album:

it was back to the old-fashioned idea of a band making a record together in the room, which maybe in the more youth-oriented side of the industry has become quite rare, because everyone uses loads of technology. we do too, but what we do is we combine the old and the new. if it works, i use it.

"with these songs, you can see them coming together very quickly, with a band like this.  you're in a game where you're making the thing and it's happening whether you like it or  not. you could push the pace, but i try and give myself a little bit more breathing room. the fatal thing a lot of the time would be to want to rush everything. something creative  always happens by not panicking

MK
Clear as the day

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2024, 08:45:44 AM »
Didn’t realise that. I think the last record had everything on vinyl?

As far as I recall, with DTRW we had two extra songs added in the cd and an extra vinyl with extra songs.

The two extra songs added in the cd were not in any vinyl as far as I recall, and the songs in the extra vinyl were only in the vinyl.

So more or less the same thing.

I seems to recall not all songs were included in the digital download at the beginning but some time after, as we started to complain (weird thing from us, lol) they included everything from the box in that digital download.
So Long

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2024, 09:02:05 AM »

LE

Indeed, I pre ordered the 2 CD set. Box is nice but good to get somewhere with a proper discount someday.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2024, 10:07:03 AM »
Here's about the new album:

it was back to the old-fashioned idea of a band making a record together in the room, which maybe in the more youth-oriented side of the industry has become quite rare, because everyone uses loads of technology. we do too, but what we do is we combine the old and the new. if it works, i use it.

"with these songs, you can see them coming together very quickly, with a band like this.  you're in a game where you're making the thing and it's happening whether you like it or  not. you could push the pace, but i try and give myself a little bit more breathing room. the fatal thing a lot of the time would be to want to rush everything. something creative  always happens by not panicking

MK

I don't think I can entirely agree with Mark here. I tried to learn a bunch of new songs from Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, John Mayer and all the usual suspects who may be called "youth-oriented", and what do you know? Good musicians, good production, good arrangements, and not any of the things MK mentioned. Music is still music and while yes, you can just play a scale and then combine it into a Rachmaninoff's piano concerto, however, people are also people and they simply don't like when something's fake, overly produced and falls into the uncanny valley of music. Everything he likes is still there in spades, it's NOT rare.

I'm not a fan of when people or brands compare themselves with anyone else. Just do your thing man, stop yelling at clouds.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2024, 10:14:23 AM »
Hmm...  is he really comparing? It is just that "...a band making a record together in a room" that he talks about. I just don't know how Swift, Sheeran and Mayer work and maybe they are not who he refers to when speaking of "young". On the other hand, when you are nearly 75 everyone is young (apart from Bob).

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2024, 10:31:07 AM »
Hmm...  is he really comparing? It is just that "...a band making a record together in a room" that he talks about. I just don't know how Swift, Sheeran and Mayer work and maybe they are not who he refers to when speaking of "young". On the other hand, when you are nearly 75 everyone is young (apart from Bob).

LE

It implies that "kids these days" only sit in their bedrooms and record everything with computers, not record with a proper band, whereas in reality "kids these days", as Louis Armstrong sang, "Will learn much more than I'll ever know". You can't believe the level of raw musicianship and virtuosity a random 10-year-old bassist or 10-year-old guitar player can achieve thanks to online education. And technology, if anything, made it even easier to jam together, book rehearsal spaces and exchange demos.

So yeah, I'm not sure what he meant here, and electronic youth-oriented music existed throughout all his life, not only these days. Mark recorded some things in his bedroom too, he also recorded a lot of stuff remotely by just exchanging emails, and his latest albums use so much technology it's unbelievable, so... That's why I'm confused. So you can record a song quickly with guys who recorded music professionally for 50+ years? Who knew... Now tell us how much $$$$ this band costs... :lol
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 11:12:19 AM by quizzaciously »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.