Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: RSD 2024 EP The Boy  (Read 51743 times)

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: RSD 2024 EP The Boy
« Reply #405 on: April 20, 2024, 03:16:53 PM »
I totally respect the people who love the vinyl experience.
I'm just not one of them. The reasons to love vinyl have everything to do with nostalgia, and nothing to do with technical facts. Vinyls do have a very good frequency response (around 50khz), but a rather poor dynamic range compared to CD (around 60db vs. 96).
So, buying a turntable (which takes a lot of space, as the records do) is not an option for me, and I think I deserve to be respected for that. Releasing a "vinly only" and "only today if you queue early in front of the shop" sounds like Back to the Future III to me, like going back to 1865...

To cut my long story short: getting a link to flac files by PM would be very highly appreciated 🤣

OfflineOLIVIER44600

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #406 on: April 20, 2024, 03:19:21 PM »
Thank you for those who don't have a record store nearby and no vinyl turntable,

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #407 on: April 20, 2024, 03:33:30 PM »
Looks like a couple of copies already on ebay UK.

Offlinekaleo74

• Lady writer
« Reply #408 on: April 20, 2024, 03:35:21 PM »
Unfortunately I wasn't lucky  :(
If I realised that the chances were slim,
How come I'm so surprised when the tide rolled in

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #409 on: April 20, 2024, 03:37:45 PM »
I'm just not one of them. The reasons to love vinyl have everything to do with nostalgia, and nothing to do with technical facts. Vinyls do have a very good frequency response (around 50khz), but a rather poor dynamic range compared to CD (around 60db vs. 96).
So, buying a turntable (which takes a lot of space, as the records do) is not an option for me, and I think I deserve to be respected for that. Releasing a "vinly only" and "only today if you queue early in front of the shop" sounds like Back to the Future III to me, like going back to 1865...

To cut my long story short: getting a link to flac files by PM would be very highly appreciated 🤣

The flac files will be along soon, everyone who wants to hear these tracks will be able to. :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #410 on: April 20, 2024, 03:37:59 PM »
My thoughts/ opinions. These aren’t directed at anyone individually so please don’t get upset.

Firstly, congrats to everyone who obtained a copy. Commiserations to those who didn’t but hopefully you can still get lucky. My experience from previous years is that selling prices skyrocket in the days after RSD and then go back to around RRP and sometimes even below as FOMO subsides, but obviously there is a risk in waiting.

I have mixed feelings seeing so many posts from people who have bought the record but have no means of playing it. I’m a bit of a collector myself so I get it, it’s just a shame for those who want to buy this to listen to but won’t be able to.

In terms of the people who have a friendly/crooked record store owner who let you get the record early or without going through the official process, you got the record and that’s the main thing.

BUT!

You also missed out.

You missed out on a fantastic experience. Myself and others in this thread had a wonderful experience queueing up, making new friends with fellow buyers, being supplied with coffees (Red Bull reps turned up at my store to give free drinks to everyone in the queue!) and having the feeling of anticipation rising as you got closer to the front.

And most of all, you missed out on the sheer joy when you get to the front of the queue, ask if they have any copies of The Boy by Mark Knopfler, and the assistant returned from a box with a copy in their hand. That was a wonderful moment, something truly wonderful that money can’t buy.

It's great you have had a wonderful experience and managed to snag a copy.
However it is 2024 so you shouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn,queue for hours to buy a record.
The very least RSD should do is give you the ability to order records in advance so you can collect them on the day.Just imagine spending multiple hours travelling and queuing to buy a single record only for it to be unavailable due to scalpers.

An alternative and equally valid opinion. All I can tell you is that my experience of Record Store Day was overwhelming positive :)

Couldn't agree more Dusty, but the age of laziness when everything is available digitally is plain boring. Loved the high like you of getting my arse out of bed and wait a few hours to buy something that I really wanted! The high of the seller putting the vinyl EP on the counter when it was my turn will never be matched by downloading a track to my computer! Such an amazing day I'm still buzzing!
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2024, 03:39:41 PM »

Back to the Future III takes place in 1885, not 1865  ;) ;D

Offlinejf9081

• Camerado
« Reply #412 on: April 20, 2024, 03:40:11 PM »

The flac files will be along soon, everyone who wants to hear these tracks will be able to. :)

:D :clap

OfflinePasc'

• Local Hero
« Reply #413 on: April 20, 2024, 03:42:28 PM »

:-*

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #414 on: April 20, 2024, 03:43:04 PM »

Back to the Future III takes place in 1885, not 1865  ;) ;D
Oops. Got me! 🤣

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #415 on: April 20, 2024, 03:43:49 PM »

Great! 😊 How soon is soon? 🤣

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #416 on: April 20, 2024, 03:45:40 PM »
OK calm down everyone! Probably tomorrow.

I’m a bit fed up of people who only turn up at AMIt when there are bonus tracks though…

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #417 on: April 20, 2024, 03:46:59 PM »

I’m a bit fed up of people who only turn up at AMIt when there are bonus tracks though…
Can't say that of me! I always turn up to discuss about anything MK-related (or even unrelated!) 🤣

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #418 on: April 20, 2024, 03:49:27 PM »

Can't say that of me! I always turn up to discuss about anything MK-related (or even unrelated!) 🤣

It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular. Just seems that every time there are rare tracks released we have a flurry of people begging for them who contribute little else.

OfflineTommyJ88

• Camerado
« Reply #419 on: April 20, 2024, 03:50:07 PM »
My thoughts/ opinions. These aren’t directed at anyone individually so please don’t get upset.

Firstly, congrats to everyone who obtained a copy. Commiserations to those who didn’t but hopefully you can still get lucky. My experience from previous years is that selling prices skyrocket in the days after RSD and then go back to around RRP and sometimes even below as FOMO subsides, but obviously there is a risk in waiting.

I have mixed feelings seeing so many posts from people who have bought the record but have no means of playing it. I’m a bit of a collector myself so I get it, it’s just a shame for those who want to buy this to listen to but won’t be able to.

In terms of the people who have a friendly/crooked record store owner who let you get the record early or without going through the official process, you got the record and that’s the main thing.

BUT!

You also missed out.

You missed out on a fantastic experience. Myself and others in this thread had a wonderful experience queueing up, making new friends with fellow buyers, being supplied with coffees (Red Bull reps turned up at my store to give free drinks to everyone in the queue!) and having the feeling of anticipation rising as you got closer to the front.

And most of all, you missed out on the sheer joy when you get to the front of the queue, ask if they have any copies of The Boy by Mark Knopfler, and the assistant returned from a box with a copy in their hand. That was a wonderful moment, something truly wonderful that money can’t buy.

Beautifully put, Dusty. The whole thing was a delight (and definitely the most enjoyable queue I’ve been in for years).

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 38 queries.