Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61457 times)

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
My first thought too😀

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/196228273497?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SpGyYuUXQtG&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=Z48jxIShSha&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This one sold for £140! I should have bought more than one!

Thats what I thought in the beguining, but later I had second thoughts, I won't bother going to the postal office as their opening schedule is very small in my town so I avoided the trouble, LOL
So Long

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Odd that after a lifetime of buying books this is suddenly likely the most valuable book I own... although it was also probably the most I have ever spent on a single book. Worth every penny though.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Indeed. I knew it would be getting more valuable as these auction catalogues always are not printed in too large editions and almost never are reprinted. I joked about buying 10 of them when I ordered mine. When I checked a couple of days later it wasn't available anymore. Very happy to have it. Very expensive spring for MK fans but buying tickets would have been much more expensive.

LE
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:52:13 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
Yes, and don‘t forget all the travelling costs

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk
Odd that after a lifetime of buying books this is suddenly likely the most valuable book I own... although it was also probably the most I have ever spent on a single book. Worth every penny though.

Same here, although Christies gave me mine in return for the rights to use one of my photos ! 
 I'd rather have the book than the money. Love over Gold. 
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Somebody asked about the fate of guitars. How about one being resold on eBay? No joke:

eBay Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256423401813?itmmeta=01HQS01Y55YPJ3ZGTG1T9D8XGW&hash=item3bb4069955:g:Es0AAOSwfWtlyJI-&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAAwMg4t8KkUt0MT6PiF01QARROJmQiSlw2xxJ0bJkE1qCfNllFCi02l%2Fo276XxAMHz3n9A0CIdLu5VXEoa3dUHU21dekuOz6KijaKrBnB0l5xLp%2FWtF6iPkaHO4P6qmG5o5Mjezcvs1XpBcHuyqIGGyiVRxO%2FRZhgLlChIMWC2lSYULCou0b3VzUZAYHY61LXZMcVR%2FAR7kH6zArA6Uv0JJgNUNNK4UGklAML8wh%2FiYa3Z9TuCdCcge0TYNxrIJaHOZQ%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9rih6C-Yw

Lot #104: https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-6465809?ldp_breadcrumb=back&intobjectid=6465809&from=salessummary&lid=1

Auction ended with zero bids...

Well, it's a 15K guitar that you need to collect in person from Cambridge, no shipping is provided. I wonder if it will sell for years with these conditions, and I also wonder what the guy who bought it was thinking when he was doing it. In this situation, Christie's estimated prices would come in handy!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Paul McCartney also received a balalaika in Moscow but a couple of years earlier than Mark. And Paul's got a bigger one. It feels weird to say Paul McCartney's balalaika is bigger than Mark Knopfler's.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Would love to know the story here.

Onlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Probably a case of "omg, I just spent £15,000 on a guitar ...". Or unexpected expenses and now their credit cards are maxed out.

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Probably a case of "omg, I just spent £15,000 on a guitar ...". Or unexpected expenses and now their credit cards are maxed out.

I did raise an eyebrow when people were speaking about these guitars as investment pieces. A lot of them, like this one, are fairly nondescript and not that interesting.

Onlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle

I did raise an eyebrow when people were speaking about these guitars as investment pieces. A lot of them, like this one, are fairly nondescript and not that interesting.

Any regular guitar Mark has just owned and barely used is just nuts to pay that kind of money for. M.J. Franks is a totally unknown builder to me, and a quick search reveals that he's not exactly often discussed online. I'm sure it's a great guitar, but it seems the base model of that guitar starts at the equivalent of £3675. The seller will have a hard time getting rid of this one.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 39 queries.