Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61460 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Erm, what is SPC? ;-)
I didn't need to dig out space, it was a SSH body with enough room underneath the pickguard.

Some nice guitars guys!

Interesting Peter. Do you have the SPC? Did you have to dig out space for a battery?

So how do you change the battery?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
I'll have to take the pickguard off. Won't be too often though, so no too big a deal.

Erm, what is SPC? ;-)
I didn't need to dig out space, it was a SSH body with enough room underneath the pickguard.

Some nice guitars guys!

Interesting Peter. Do you have the SPC? Did you have to dig out space for a battery?

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
  • 3 Strats . . and a number of others
    • dtvaviation images.co.uk

[/quote]

If it's wired properly it only draws current when the jack plug is connected so it could last a number of years depending on use.  I think I've only changed the one in my Pensa copy 2 or 3 times in all the time I've had it!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 12:20:11 PM by 3Strats »
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.
MK tour photos & my music page can be found at: http://dtvaviationimages.co.uk

DTRW Tour: Newcastle.  Block A, Row E,
seats 21 & 22

OfflineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
I thought it was mostly in the pickups, but the chap who built it says categorically that the wood does make a difference. I think Mahogany, with or without a Maple cap gives a warmer tone than Alder or Ash. 

I had Gretsch Filtertron pickups put in a mahogany body thinline type guitar, and although it makes the guitar sound more Grestchey ( is that a word?) it still doesn't sound quite like a duo Jet or a Gretsch hollowbody, so it must be a combination of all the factors.

The type of wood does not define if the guitar will sound more warm or harsh but the wood density will define the tone.
Lightweight wood, with less density will interact different than a heavyweight wood. The same Mahogany tree can prouce a various density tone blocks.

Mike Stern, for example, preffers heavyweight guitars cause the guitar sounds more 'focused' and jazzy to his ears.

Greg Curbow (RIP), has developed a kind of hybrid material called Luthite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luthite) used by Cort and Ibanez that can imitate the density of any wood that you would desire.

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
I've been to the exhibition and wanted to share here of course, but I couldn't find the words, to be honest.

When the auction was announced, I felt incredibly sad. For Mark, it must have probably been a long progress to make the decision, but as a huge guitar maniac myself, it's not easy to see your hero sell most of his collection. The last couple of years have been weird in terms of the recording/touring cycle that has been broken. Though I generally visited one show per tour, it was a wonderful thing to look forward to and something like a certainty in life. Any sign that he was back in the studio meant I could see him play again. Overall, I'm glad he quit touring; it's the right decision, but waiting for 5,5 years for the next album was tough, even more so when he seemed sure to keep writing and recording.

Anyway, with all the announcements combined, I had an odd feeling that One Deep River might also be his last record. I felt unfortunate about that idea but immediately felt like a visit to London could fill up some emptiness of a missing tour feeling and perhaps some closure of the whole circus. I was prepared for an emotional rollercoaster in London ;D

But it was not! I was thrilled to be there and happy all the time at the exhibition. It felt like celebrating his career. We took all the time in the world to carefully look at every instrument, and it was such a joy. As a kid, I spent so much time worshiping the MK1, you wouldn't believe it. Yes, I liked the Fenders and Gibsons, but this beast was my 'object of desire'. When I started visiting tours, he already quit playing it, so I never saw it in real life. In fact, for the last 20+ years, I always thought I would never see it again. It was an absolute highlight to get so close to it. I've been staring at it for minutes. I could also tell about the obvious other diamonds, but the MK1 stood out.

I don't care how much money the instruments raised. It's strange that some might never see daylight again, but let's hope for the best. Of all my fond MK memories, having visited every tour since 2001, this day was very special, and I will never forget it. I'm very thankful we got a chance to see the instruments. Like I said earlier, it felt like homage.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Lovely post, nicely written, thank you very much!

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Very odd. I guess the guy got caught up in auction fever.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
A friend of mine bid for this guitar but lost it.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
A friend of mine bid for this guitar but lost it.

Crazy to think that Kay Mandolin and Russian balalaika raised more money than this impressive Dreadnought. One of the cheapest lots on the auction.

I wonder who's going to buy it after the fact. Who on Earth will pay 15 grand for a guitar with the only connection to MK being "previously owned by"?

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
So, it cost £12,000 plus buyers fees, and he wants £15k for it on eBay where everyone wants stuff for nothing. Good luck.  ;D
When you point your finger 'cause your plan fell through you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

seats 21 & 22

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
Russian balalaika was the weirdest thing in the auction. Not as an object, but the fact that somebody paid to get it.

Offline3Strats

• Camerado
He should have gifted the balalaika to Richard. I know it made a stupid amount in the sale, but its real value as an instrument is only a few hundred pounds and Richard can probably play one  ;D

seats 21 & 22

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Russian balalaika was the weirdest thing in the auction. Not as an object, but the fact that somebody paid to get it.

He should have gifted the balalaika to Richard. I know it made a stupid amount in the sale, but its real value as an instrument is only a few hundred pounds and Richard can probably play one  ;D

Pretty sure it was pure trolling from MK. He could easily throw it away, give it to somebody, give it to charity, gift it to the Russian embassy, but no, it was a deliberate choice to display this ridiculous instrument in fine Christie's auction house, and let somebody fight for it. And now somebody's got a balalaika with a plaque that it's a gift to Mark Knopfler... Trolling cycle.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.