Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61511 times)

Offlineprimi

• Camerado

Damn, this MK-1 will probably quadruple in price in just a few decades, if not faster.

I'm not so certain. It might just as easily go down in value with time. Interest in guitars may have already peaked. Funny thing is they're probably making more than ever globally at the same time.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
It would not surprise me if Rudy and Suhr decide to release a limited Pensa-Suhr run taking advantage of all of this temporary MK turmoil

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

Damn, this MK-1 will probably quadruple in price in just a few decades, if not faster.

I'm not so certain. It might just as easily go down in value with time. Interest in guitars may have already peaked. Funny thing is they're probably making more than ever globally at the same time.

It’s really impossible to say. I certainly wouldn’t have bought it as an investment. Classic guitars like 50s Fenders and Gibsons keep going up. Mark’s fans however are ageing and how much interest will there be in him in 30 years?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado

It’s really impossible to say. I certainly wouldn’t have bought it as an investment. Classic guitars like 50s Fenders and Gibsons keep going up. Mark’s fans however are ageing and how much interest will there be in him in 30 years?

Exactly, now are the years that older people who made it financially big in their lives and who have a connection with DS/MK from their youth and are willing to spend this for personal nostalgia, but 20 years down the line there won't be this level of interest. Heck, maybe even 10.

OfflinePeter1981

• Camerado
It would not surprise me if Rudy and Suhr decide to release a limited Pensa-Suhr run taking advantage of all of this temporary MK turmoil

However, if this happens, and they make it really identical to Marks MK1 ; sign me up!
I visited Christie's and the guitar looks absolutely amazing. I've seen copies but the finish/wood on the original is absolutely stellar!

Seeing the guitar up close did move me a bit, I grew up with On The Night on VHS tape and Mark was really, really the world's greatest guitarist there and then.
I still get goosebumps from that BIA version; the only song that will do that to me on earth!

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

However, if this happens, and they make it really identical to Marks MK1 ; sign me up!
I visited Christie's and the guitar looks absolutely amazing. I've seen copies but the finish/wood on the original is absolutely stellar!

Seeing the guitar up close did move me a bit, I grew up with On The Night on VHS tape and Mark was really, really the world's greatest guitarist there and then.
I still get goosebumps from that BIA version; the only song that will do that to me on earth!

If they do a Pensa Suhr replica, I hope they do it better than the original!

I was attending the exhibition with a luthier that was shocked to see bad details in the Pensa Suhr, like the fact that the neck didn't fit properly in the body, as there was a very small gap at both sides of the neck that made it moves slowly, and left the first string to the edge of the neck. Also there was a plastic piece at the back of the guitar that was a bit bigger than the back body of it. My friend told me that those details, if he makes a guitar like that for a client, the client would claim about them for sure.

Looks like MK was in a hurry with that guitar, as all we know the napkin story, and that John Surh made the guitar very wuickly to be sent to MK for the Mandela gig, it's also known that he already had the body of the guitar, so he probably took the first neck he found that fit the better, even not as tight as it should, finished the guitar and send it to London. Probably Ron Eve adjusting it the better as possible for the gigs and the OES tour but it's clear he didn't play it for so long and the neck moved a bit and left the first string too much at the edge.
So Long

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Does this all mean Glen Saggers has less to do now? :think I see one of the guitars went to someone in my city of Southampton, but, it was not me, could have been if I had thought about remortgaging earlier  ;D
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Does this all mean Glen Saggers has less to do now? :think I see one of the guitars went to someone in my city of Southampton, but, it was not me, could have been if I had thought about remortgaging earlier  ;D

I have a friend also living in Southampton and I made the same joke to him, LOL
So Long

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo

I have a friend also living in Southampton and I made the same joke to him, LOL

;D

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings

That was the Sobell acoustic he played on Matchstick Man on the last tour. I’m in Southampton too…and it wasn’t me either! Would be interesting to know who it was.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Yes, lovely guitar too.

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado

If they do a Pensa Suhr replica, I hope they do it better than the original!

I was attending the exhibition with a luthier that was shocked to see bad details in the Pensa Suhr, like the fact that the neck didn't fit properly in the body, as there was a very small gap at both sides of the neck that made it moves slowly, and left the first string to the edge of the neck. Also there was a plastic piece at the back of the guitar that was a bit bigger than the back body of it. My friend told me that those details, if he makes a guitar like that for a client, the client would claim about them for sure.

Looks like MK was in a hurry with that guitar, as all we know the napkin story, and that John Surh made the guitar very wuickly to be sent to MK for the Mandela gig, it's also known that he already had the body of the guitar, so he probably took the first neck he found that fit the better, even not as tight as it should, finished the guitar and send it to London. Probably Ron Eve adjusting it the better as possible for the gigs and the OES tour but it's clear he didn't play it for so long and the neck moved a bit and left the first string too much at the edge.

John Suhr was indeed in a hurry to get the guitar finished before the Mandela show. Plus he has also said on various guitar forums (The Gear Page for example) that he makes far better guitars now than he did then, both due to more experience and the fact that he has CNC machines to achieve much lower tolerances (no neck gap etc.) and much higher consistency. And for a long time John didn't even have a proper workshop area at Rudy's. He was working in a boiler room, if I remember correctly :)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
John Suhr replied to a comment I made on The Gear Page just yesterday!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
John Suhr replied to a comment I made on The Gear Page just yesterday!

John is awesome. Not only a genius guitar and amp builder, but so approachable and willing to answer questions, even basic ones.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Was anyone else surprised by how much that weird looking Pensa went for? Over 100k. Don't remember him ever using it.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 39 queries.