Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61526 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I enjoyed watching the auction, I have never watched one from start to end before, the people on the phones looked like they were having a great time with other peoples money, the 3 auctioneers were great too. I was surprised at how much the amp's were going for, and don't even mention the Balalaika :o did Mark ever play it?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
I enjoyed watching the auction, I have never watched one from start to end before, the people on the phones looked like they were having a great time with other peoples money, the 3 auctioneers were great too. I was surprised at how much the amp's were going for, and don't even mention the Balalaika :o did Mark ever play it?

He played it at home, probably  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I am sure he did ;)

Was the TCT GoldTop actually Mark's guitar? or was it bought just for this occasion?
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

He played it at home, probably  ;)

He did play the Balalaika in his private jet on the way from the Moscow gig in 2005 as was documented by Guy Fletcher. However, I doubt he ever picked it up again as it has a VERY peculiar tuning, essentially making it a 2-string instrument as two of 3 are tuned to the same pitch. And it requires a very specific playing technique of strumming it really hard, like in all the memes/movies/stereotypes. Whoever came up with this idea, what were you thinking? Did you imagine MK trying Balalaika on one of his albums or something? At least it raised a few thousand pounds for charity 20 years later.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

I was surprised how LOW the amps were.

The Fender Concert for example, (I'll declare an interest here as I actually own one), it was used heavily in DS and even without that connection, it's a pre CBS Fender blackface amp, and a pretty rare one at that because they were never as popular as Super Reverbs. But it sold for LESS than the stupid Balalaika or that Reverend? Crazy! Also TWO iconic Soldanos for £33k?!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
The two biggest surprises for me were the higher than expected price that the "dressed for the party" Schecter went for, but even more, the dobro. There was a joke here, asking if someone confused it with THE national. That is the only thing I can figure there....

But lets focus on the REAL twidly bits... The guitars he didn't sell.

THE National(s)
MK Strats 00000-00001
The "58"
The "54"
THE Hoffman
among others

I would like to bend a knee here at the amount of respect that Mark clearly has still, for the piece itself. To see vintage lots accompanied by original paperwork, not a SINGLE guitar with abuse, and to so much money that has been left on the table in every aspect of his career. All I can say is, respect.

And to Christie's, hats off.

To those of us who hoped, and bid, and came up short, this one's for you!

...excuse me Wiich guitair Is The Hoffman?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

The Fender Concert for example, (I'll declare an interest here as I actually own one), it was used heavily in DS and even without that connection, it's a pre CBS Fender blackface amp, and a pretty rare one at that because they were never as popular as Super Reverbs. But it sold for LESS than the stupid Balalaika or that Reverend? Crazy! Also TWO iconic Soldanos for £33k?!

Tells me a lot of bidders were people with more money than knowledge and they'll be used as decoration.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

Tells me a lot of bidders were people with more money than knowledge and they'll be used as decoration.

In the same way, Sultans Of Swing can have 500 million listens and another good (better???) song can barely have any listens at all. Again, it's not a bug, just some really lucky folks who used Mark's (not-so-huge) fame to get cool amps and investments for cheap and give money to charity. These auctioneers are the happiest people on the planet right now. Damn, this MK-1 will probably quadruple in price in just a few decades, if not faster.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I am sure he did ;)

Was the TCT GoldTop actually Mark's guitar? or was it bought just for this occasion?

It was added to the auction and it is not a guitar pre owned by Mark.
And I would assume that 100  % of the final price for that lot will go to the charity.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 39 queries.