Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61533 times)

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Yes.

I can understand the Sonny Liston one to be fair.

The Eko 700. Yes. I saw that very same model in a local guitar store down here in Winchester around ten years ago. A few hundred quid. Should have snapped that one up. Bit late now.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I find it funny that a Fender Concert amp, used heavily in Dire Straits and quite rare and desirable in its own right, went for £17k, while some absolute crap went for more.

Some classic Gibsons went for Not that much (comparatively) as well.

Also the Soldano pair, 32K.

Offlineprimi

• Camerado
I must admit I expected more from MK1. But! Correct me if I'm wrong but never has a Pensa, a Suhr or a Pensa-Suhr sold for more and none of them ever will. I'm pretty certain of it. Mark put them both on the map and I can't imagine anybody ever topping that in this day and age when guitar gods are aging or gone.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Yes.

I can understand the Sonny Liston one to be fair.

The Eko 700. Yes. I saw that very same model in a local guitar store down here in Winchester around ten years ago. A few hundred quid. Should have snapped that one up. Bit late now.

Yes.

I own three of the same items in the sale today that collectively sold for £150k, ha.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
In rock history, David Gilmour as of Pink Floyd is way bigger than Mark Knopfler's Dire Straits.

I remember 12 years ago editing the Wikipedia article about the song "What A Wonderful World" by mentioning that Mark had recorded his version with Chris Botti in the section of notable cover versions, and it was rejected by several editors as being "not significant" and wondering who the hell Mark Knopfler even was. It still isn't mentioned by the way, even though the list is pretty huge with around 20 mentions.

I also have an insight with stats of my transcriptions of Marks's songs going back almost 18 years ago, and also an entire YouTube channel based on his music. And if there's one thing I can tell you about Mark — he is not popular. Fans can think the opposite for as long as they want, but it doesn't change the fact that he's just not popular. But just like I said, it's a feature, not a bug. Mark loves to fly under the radar.

Offlinediremark86

• Camerado
The two biggest surprises for me were the higher than expected price that the "dressed for the party" Schecter went for, but even more, the dobro. There was a joke here, asking if someone confused it with THE national. That is the only thing I can figure there....

But lets focus on the REAL twidly bits... The guitars he didn't sell.

THE National(s)
MK Strats 00000-00001
The "58"
The "54"
THE Hoffman
among others

I would like to bend a knee here at the amount of respect that Mark clearly has still, for the piece itself. To see vintage lots accompanied by original paperwork, not a SINGLE guitar with abuse, and to so much money that has been left on the table in every aspect of his career. All I can say is, respect.

And to Christie's, hats off.

To those of us who hoped, and bid, and came up short, this one's for you!

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
I must admit I expected more from MK1. But! Correct me if I'm wrong but never has a Pensa, a Suhr or a Pensa-Suhr sold for more and none of them ever will. I'm pretty certain of it. Mark put them both on the map and I can't imagine anybody ever topping that in this day and age when guitar gods are aging or gone.

I too expected a lot more, but I think we overestimated the importance of the MK1 (and his other Pensas and Pensa-Suhrs). The die-hard fans are extremely familiar with it, the casual fans not so much. The MFN/BIA Les Paul has had far more exposure and has a direct connection to Mark's biggest hits and one of the greatest-selling albums in history. I'm actually surprised it didn't go for more.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
California was mentioned a couple of times yesterday during the most prestigious lots. That is also where Bonamassa is residing.  :)
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
Wouldn't surprise me if Joe Bonamassa snagged the 59.

OfflineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Canada was also mentioned a few times. That is where Isaac is living.  ;D

LE
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:04:11 AM by Love Expresso »
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
The MK1 went to a guy sitting in the middle at Christies. And 2 ladies in the front were getting the 2 Schecters + the PI alchemy acoustic.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
The MK1 went to a guy sitting in the middle at Christies. And 2 ladies in the front were getting the 2 Schecters + the PI alchemy acoustic.

That’s great. If they are members here, contact me, I’d like to play them
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

That’s great. If they are members here, contact me, I’d like to play them

That people usually are bidding in the name of other people that are not in the room.
So Long

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
Nothing went for under the estimated price, at least. No steals :)

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.