Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61539 times)

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
*Entirely personal view here* - ....but should have kept the Pensa Mk1.... ??? :think :hmm
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
*Entirely personal view here* - ....but should have kept the Pensa Mk1.... ??? :think :hmm

Actually he's right, he kept the right Pensa. From the ones in Christie's. The best of his Pensas, the black one, he still has it.
So Long

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado

Actually he's right, he kept the right Pensa. From the ones in Christie's. The best of his Pensas, the black one, he still has it.

Maybe I am just biased due to the live performance of YAYF from OTN.....but yeah (for looks), I also love the blue Pensa and he still has one of those IIRC...
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I lost it when the video started right with the host acknowledging that it's an ordinary Les Paul. If you think about it, worshipping guitars is such a bizarre part of the music industry. It's the strangest kind of fetish. It's like worshipping brushes and paint Leonardo used to paint Gioconda with. It's an instrument after all. Someone told Chet Atkins, "Man, that guitar sure sounds good!" Chet set the guitar down on a chair and asked him, "Ok, how does it sound now?"

Worship the art, not the artist. Worship the sounds, not the instruments. I'll be happy tomorrow when this thing is finally over and all these guitars will be sold to collectors. No particular feelings about it. The best part about it is that we have a great catalogue with (unfortunately) not the biggest part of the instruments Mark used to create his music with, their fate after the fact doesn't concern me in the slightest.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Great video that - thanks for posting.  One glaring error about using the '83 Les Paul for a decade though.  Don't remember seeing it after Sydney '86.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

I lost it when the video started right with the host acknowledging that it's an ordinary Les Paul. If you think about it, worshipping guitars is such a bizarre part of the music industry. It's the strangest kind of fetish. It's like worshipping brushes and paint Leonardo used to paint Gioconda with. It's an instrument after all. Someone told Chet Atkins, "Man, that guitar sure sounds good!" Chet set the guitar down on a chair and asked him, "Ok, how does it sound now?"

Worship the art, not the artist. Worship the sounds, not the instruments. I'll be happy tomorrow when this thing is finally over and all these guitars will be sold to collectors. No particular feelings about it. The best part about it is that we have a great catalogue with (unfortunately) not the biggest part of the instruments Mark used to create his music with, their fate after the fact doesn't concern me in the slightest.
[/quote]

Stop kidding us on man!   :lol

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings

Maybe I am just biased due to the live performance of YAYF from OTN.....but yeah (for looks), I also love the blue Pensa and he still has one of those IIRC...

Yes, I believe the blue Pensa MKD/MK90 in the auction was built as a touring back-up for his original MKD at some point prior to the Tracker tour, so presumably he has retained the original.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
In my book the MK1 will remain the most gorgeous guitar he owned in his entire career. What a piece of beauty - and what a sound! -

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Stop kidding us on man!   :lol

I'm not kidding. The truth is Mark could've used any instrument, it could be any other Les Paul on the planet, it could be any other Pensa. I mean he had to use something, right? You can't use air guitar to play and record the song. But the fact that it's this particular instrument doesn't change a thing. It all will turn to dust one day, like any material thing, and any instrument has a shelf life. Now I am kidding, but you get the point. I'm just not a gearhead. Lucky the ones who are!

Offlinemkdsone

• Guitar George
Are the guitars auctioned in the order they appear in the catalogue ?
If she was an Ace and I was just a Jack, and the cards were never seen, we could have been King and Queen.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Did any of our Russian members bidding on the Babalaika?

:lol
So Long

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
Are the guitars auctioned in the order they appear in the catalogue ?

They will be so potential bidders know when their lot is about to come up.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

I'll bet lots of fans will have been eyeing that up as one they can afford to bid on hence the final hammer price will be much higher than expected.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing

I'll bet lots of fans will have been eyeing that up as one they can afford to bid on hence the final hammer price will be much higher than expected.

Hammer and sickle price you mean? :)
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

Hammer and sickle price you mean? :)

Missed gag opportunity there.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.