Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61572 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Yesterday morning I spent one of the best mornings ever at Christie's...

It's not only that you can see all those guitars but also that you can see them so close so close that you may kiss them if you want or even touch the strings if it wasn't innapropiate, also there are people there that won't let you do that, but they let you to look at them that close or even sign them almost touching them without anyone threatening you to kick your ass... absolutely amazing how close you can see every single detail in every single guitar.

Also I spent an amazing two days in London with my Spanish friends and long time friend from The Netherlands, Mr Jeroen Van Tol, was amazing to finally meet him in person in probably one of the last chances that we would be able to do it more or less directly related with MK. Also we were joined by the great Witek from Poland, quite a nice guy and hugh collector. IN Christie's I saw also old friend Bruno (Tunnel85), always a pleaseure to see again such lovely people.

After a great morning full of emotions, when me and my gang, together with Witek we were getting ready to leave, two of my best friends from Spain made an stelar appearence, the great Direfran, nowadays known as FranWood (he buits the most wonderful guitars you would find personally, one by one) and Oscar Rosende, the founder of that band that Guy and PCM confused with a recording of them during Atarfe gig in 2008, nowadays the leader of a even better band like "Great Straits", I was in cloud number 9 and then arrives the ice on the cake, someone goes towards me and says "Hello Julio"... I looked at him, overexcited by all the great experiences of the morning without being able to recognize him at first sight... I stupidly said to him "Sorry, who are you..?" and then he looks at me and says "Julio, really?" and with the biggest embarrasement I ever experienced I recognized him, someone who last time I saw him was probably 2013, or 2015 (what a bad memory I have...) but we are always in close contact, the mighty Mimmo Carrata!!!! I was so happy and embarrased at the same moment that I can't truly express it but I'm sure he would forgive me, LOL

I would had liked to stay more time but my gand had a flight to catch that evening to we bid goodbyes to everyone, or I hope it was to everyone and left the building so happy and sad at the same time. I don't want that could had been the last time I see so wonderful people, but looks like we would need to find another excuse as Mr Knopfler doesn't seems to provide us more in the future....

Wait, what about the Local Hero Musical? I have a pub experience to live with Dusty, lol !!!!!

Thanks to everyone there for such an amazing day.

now actually sad that the thought to go to london for this never even crossed my mind....
Great to hear about the fun times you had, many folks i would have loved to have seen (again)
e.g. the great Bruno, Jeroen, Fran etc.. oh yes and Dusty i guess
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
i am just thinking about the poor christies lady that needs to stands in the hall that has Song for Sonny Liston on repeat, ALL day, and not even the full song... da horror
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
i am just thinking about the poor christies lady that needs to stands in the hall that has Song for Sonny Liston on repeat, ALL day, and not even the full song... da horror

She must be a die-hard MK fan as we already got used to it! :lol

Offlinehunter v2.0

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
A friend of mine visited the exhibition this weekend, and he got to see the back of the MK1. It was very worn, with lots of scratches from Mark's belt buckle ("buckle rash"). Also the heads on the neck mounting screws were in pretty rough shape. Looked as someone had try to fasten them with scissors ... Actually strange that Glenn Saggers hadn't replaced them back in the day.

OnlineVesper

• Lady writer
Apparantly lot 32, which is the Pensa red flame from 1993, is pulled from the auction.

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Apparantly lot 32, which is the Pensa red flame from 1993, is pulled from the auction.

Interesting. I did wonder whether something like this might happen. Mark did say in the interview at the start of the viewing period that there were a couple he was regretting. By Wednesday we might find that half the guitars in the catalogue are no longer for sale  ;D

OfflineDwf2008

• Guitar George
I am truly enjoying looking thru the catalog and thinking I could actually bid on one of Mark’s guitars. But I am also in a total panic thinking this may be a signal of pending retirement and I may never get to hear Mark play in person again.

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler

I wonder why... MK had regrets? Someone made a high private purchase? Someone fell over it and damaged it? LOL
So Long

OnlineVesper

• Lady writer
I saw some pictures on FB from someone visiting the exhibition yesterday and it wasn't there anymore as well.
I wonder what happened...

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS / MK Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice S02E03

I wonder why... MK had regrets? Someone made a high private purchase? Someone fell over it and damaged it? LOL

Yes. One of those 3 is the right answer
Love will find a Way

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
Christie's confirms by email that MK had retired that guitar to keep it for him.
So Long

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Christie's confirms by email that MK had retired that guitar to keep it for him.

"Hey Christie's, I changed my mind, I'll play this guitar until I fall over."

Don't even try to understand MK, it's like trying to understand the static noise.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer

Don't even try to understand MK, it's like trying to understand the static noise.

I understand him. He might also would like to give/sell it directly to someone with more decent price.

OnlineLove Expresso

• Lady writer
Imagine poor Mark having sleepless nights and a broken heart about the auction starting tomorrow.

LE
I don't want no sugar in it, thank you very much!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov

I understand him. He might also would like to give/sell it directly to someone with more decent price.

So you understand Mark Knopfler? I have a lot of questions for you then :lol :lol :lol

After two exhibitions in London and New York, thousands of people visited, catalogues thought-out, printed and sold, guitars documented and photographed, interviews and videos made, one day before the auction, you retrieve from the auction... No, not any of the iconic guitars, no, no, no, that would be too predictable for Mark Knopfler. Not like retrieving a guitar from an auction IS predictable in the first place... But you do it with a rather standard Pensa guitar that nobody would think of.

Anyway, I know he's got his reasons, but I give up trying to understand what's happening.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 39 queries.