Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dire Straits star Mark Knopfler to auction Brothers In Arms guitars - BBC NEWS  (Read 61619 times)

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
Unless it’s an album of outtakes I doubt it. Doesn’t mean he won’t still be a regular at the studio but more observational. Let’s see. No sense in speculating.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
I am beginning to wonder if this will be his final album.  The time taken is perhaps due to him returning to the studio for guitar overdubs and the fact he indicated he used a new acoustic on 4 tracks maybe says something too.  He even recalled the American contingent.

He's always made a point of saying "the right guitar for the right song", but now he's selling so many of his legacy guitars that if he's looking for that sound he won't find it.  I genuinely don't think the signs are good.

dmg, I was quite astonished when I read your thoughts about this being the final album. I don't know since when, but for me it was pretty clear (for quite some time now) that it probably will be his last album. The way it comes to shape, almost six years now, to me it was pretty clear that this will be something big (maybe a double album?) to make it great as it would be the last one, and I was really astonished that you kept thinking it could NOT be his last one.

LE

I know what you mean and I too had my feelings, however recent events had cemented my thoughts in-line with your own initial ones.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I don't think this will be his last album, he can't stop writing songs, so, why would he not record them? I think he has been busy over the last few years, apart from his album, there is the auction thing which he must have had a lot of involvement with, the Local Hero musical which seems never ending, the TV show with Brian Johnson, maybe more filming with Henrik Hansen!! We don't really know his full involvement in the Buddy Holly project, plus his own personal life etc. He might be a 'Slow Learner' but I am sure he keeps himself busy. I think only serious ill health will stop him recording.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
I don't think this will be his last album, he can't stop writing songs, so, why would he not record them? I think he has been busy over the last few years, apart from his album, there is the auction thing which he must have had a lot of involvement with, the Local Hero musical which seems never ending, the TV show with Brian Johnson, maybe more filming with Henrik Hansen!! We don't really know his full involvement in the Buddy Holly project, plus his own personal life etc. He might be a 'Slow Learner' but I am sure he keeps himself busy. I think only serious ill health will stop him recording.

Totally agree with you!  :thumbsup
This is all the heaven we've got, right here where we are in our Shangri-La.

Offlineiorch82

• Local Hero
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Might be his last album. I also think there's also the option on him delegating guitar duties. Why not?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler

You've just given reasons why this is likely to be his last album.  He's branched out doing other things in recent years, perhaps in full knowledge he needed an outlet for his songs.  A musical is ideal for his songs where he doesn't have to play or even sing.  Then there's this TV presenting malarky to keep him busy too.
"...and I blew up the radio in pretty short order."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I think the other things I mention have been possible because he doesn't have to prepare and do a concert tour.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
I was there with my buddy Camerado last saturday and it was totally worth it! I met Dusty there, we had an amazing few hours. Pictures are on FB and the MK worldwide group.

https://www.facebook.com/stefan.esselink/posts/pfbid0cN3LLrxHH2jvCtxnP8gAQiKC4xM7HAFMogoWy3VLnVNwqBerKUduMA1x3QutfbZ9l
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
If I was in London at an auction and I met Paul Sexton, I would definitely ask about the new MK album  ;)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
How long do you need at the exhibition? Hoping to go on 30th.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
I think he may record another one after that one.

And play the guitar parts.

I don't see him delegating the guitar part to anybody else but instead doing it note by note by himself if needed.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineJules

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
I think he may record another one after that one.

And play the guitar parts.

I don't see him delegating the guitar part to anybody else but instead doing it note by note by himself if needed.

The good thing about recording in a studio is that you can stop and start every time Is needed and you can build a guitar solo of 15 seconds in whatever number of days and takes that is needed to do a copy and paste that in the ends sounds great.
So Long

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
Went to the auction viewing this evening.  Totally worth it.

I was struck by the number of bass guitars there are in the auction.  Probably 20 or 30.  Highlight for me was BIA era guitars, including the synth Pensa.

There also are some star additions like the red tele and the 88 Pensa and Les Paul's but there are clearly a lot of gifted items here or frivolities.  I only spotted one Dobro.  So we can be safely assured MK will have a good stock still at hand.  In fact there are so many guitars there that it does feel like an appropriate thing to sell them on with maximum impact and a portion to charity. 

Funny things, possessions.

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
Another video regarding this subject

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Another video regarding this subject

thnx, his enthusiasm was fun...
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 39 queries.